Hot PSU

lawro2001
Go to solution Solved by flibberdipper,

I might just get rid of this supply and get a new one because it is getting old now

It's not a bad idea.

I might just get rid of this supply and get a new one because it is getting old now

Thats a good idea

Oh, I have a 120mm intake on the front and that's it

Thats not exhaust thats intake. So what you are saying is that there is no way for hot air to leave except in tiny amounts through cracks in the case. Thats is very bad. No wonder all your components are hot.

It's not a bad idea.

ya, on amazon I canget an evga 600w 80+ bronze for about 75$. I don't know if that money translation is right because im not from USA

Main PC: ASUS PRIME X299-A / Core i7 7820X / 16GB DDR4 / Palit GTX 1070 Ti / Corsair CX550F / Corsair Carbide Air 540

Secondary PC: ASUS X99-A / Core i7 5820K / 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified / Corsair CX500M / Fractal Define S

Thats a good idea

Thats not exhaust thats intake. So what you are saying is that there is no way for hot air to leave except in tiny amounts through cracks in the case. Thats is very bad. No wonder all your components are hot.

I don't have any exaust fans, but the 120mm fan at the front rus at about 2200rpm and I can feel the cool air even when my hand is in the case and my cpu temp and my gpu temps are pretty normal for what they are so I think my psu is the actual problem

Main PC: ASUS PRIME X299-A / Core i7 7820X / 16GB DDR4 / Palit GTX 1070 Ti / Corsair CX550F / Corsair Carbide Air 540

Secondary PC: ASUS X99-A / Core i7 5820K / 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified / Corsair CX500M / Fractal Define S

ya, on amazon I canget an evga 600w 80+ bronze for about 75$. I don't know if that money translation is right because im not from USA

If it's the G1 that seems right. Even though I wanna ditch mine and get a 750 watt G2 for the nice quietness.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't have any exaust fans, but the 120mm fan at the front rus at about 2200rpm and I can feel the cool air even when my hand is in the case and my cpu temp and my gpu temps are pretty normal for what they are so I think my psu is the actual problem

Get an exhaust fan. It'll help.

If it's the G1 that seems right. Even though I wanna ditch mine and get a 750 watt G2 for the nice quietness.

ye, I might as well upgrade the psu because I don't want this antec blowing up from heat and I was also planning on upgrading the gpu to something newer so I think that is my best choice

Get an exhaust fan. It'll help.

the thing is,this motherboard runs fans at full speed and I only have a dying sleeve bearing fan so when that runs at full speed, it makes an extreme load of noise and since ill probably upgrade my gpu, my best choice would to get a new psu

no, I only have a 120mm intake at the front bringing in cold air

all ur hot air is being sucked into the power supply 

u need another exaust

lets put it like this: (rough estimates)

guessing your system pulls 600 watts on full load, and your power supply runs at 85% efficiency, that gives the following:

(this isnt how this works, but its good to give a generic idea)

600 watts / 85 * 100 = 705 watts pulled from the wall. (note: the 700 watts listed isnt the "pulled from the wall" but "pushed into system" wattage)

the difference between those is 105 watts, which is heat.

those 105 watts are pulled away from the system by a fan.

can you touch the PSU? if you cannot hold your hand on it anymore, that means the casing is over 70°c (a teacher told me this fact once, its quite a good rule)

if its over 70°c, something might be wrong, but at a high load, high temps just come with it.

you are way out mate your calculations sucks and you clearly dont know phisics

its normal if its getting hot because your cpu and gpu produce heat that is coming up and some of the heat gets removed by case fan some with psu fan its normal if its not so hot that you cant hold your arm on it. even my top of the case gets warm with botom mounted psu and 1200 high cfm fan using r9 290x vapor x

you are way out mate your calculations sucks and you clearly dont know phisics

quote: "this isnt how this works, but its good to give a generic idea"

i know the calculations are off, but in the very basics, thats more or less how efficiency works.

its mostly to prove a point theres a lot of heat in a power supply, which is something lots of people dont think about.