How do you deal with your upgrade itch?

EpIcPoNaGe

I bookmark parts I would like to use in a new build, and I update it whenever I find something that fits better.

For processors and m/b I wait till there is a defenite 100% performance increase on real world applications like games and productivity suites. Then I start gearing up for an upgrade. I wait till my GPU dies before I get a new one.

I got major itch about 6 months ago, So I did the math and got a 1TB 840 Evo instead. Upgrade of the decade if you ask me.

It really depends for me what it is i'm upgrading.  For example the new CPUs coming out. I just went to the 2011x3 platform and see no reason to go back to 1150 even though I have a z97 model.  Mobos and CPUs i normaly don't upgrade for a 10% increase, same with RAM and bigger/better MHz.

The GTX 980 platform however was a huge desire over even the 770 / 780 that i had.  It ran faster, cooler and less power.  For me it was a no brainer.  The hardest part was waiting for a version from a manufacturer that I wanted.

The only other thing that I absolutely had to buy the moment i could was the Samsung xp941 when it came out and then again with the SM 951.  The 941 had sequential reads of 1200+.  The 951, the highest i have recorded is 2341 with a write of 1498.  I can't tell you how much more quickly things load up, zoning in games like Skyrim is almost instantaneous and overall it was so very worth it.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

I look at my bank account, realize I can't even afford more ram or a cpu cooler, and cry. spent it all on the 970

1. Overclocking, and failing at it.

Then try rerouting cables, improving cable management, zip ties.

Selling something, getting new stuff. Fans, VGA, upgrading motherboard.

Just as the titles says, how do you deal with your upgrade itch? I'm constantly getting the itch and want to know how you all deal with it. 

Check my wallet. Curl up in the corner. Try not to cry. Cry a lot.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

For me, either go to here, the New Builds and Plan sections to help ppl build new PC, or look at the rumor of upcoming, soon-to-be-announce part and thinking to myself that it will be much better than the current one available, or looking at my rig and make judgement that I wont be doing anything that this baby cant handle :3

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I say "i could get these new parts and give my current parts to someone as a gift." and then i upgrade.

Looking at my bank account, then the stack of bills. ^_^

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I usually browse Memory Express, Newegg, or Amazon.ca and sob because I can afford literally nothing part nor periphery related on the listings. 

I then go to the extremes and hope someone in my area is selling a powerful PC for like $5

After that, it's usually about 10-15 hours of moping, depending what build I want.

i go and try and fined some one who need/wants to buy a new pc and i ask them if i can build it for them and in return i some times get there old stuff and wen i get the space i will have 4 pcs going at the same time for shits and giggles 

also i spend almost all of my money on Star Citizen and just have no money left for stuff 

HELP ME I HAVE SPENT MORE THEN 600USD ON DIGITAL STAR SHIPS!!!

Well. Lately I decided I was fed up of dealing, so I started hustling and working twice as hard, so by next year, I can get not one but two ultimate Obutto stations with 4k surround. Follow your dreams!

living in a country with high taxes to tech and imports cuts your wings for upgrades :/ so i seek for any of my friends wanting to throw away any old pc part and try to build a pc from the ground up and see how they perform, yet, i can't really complain because i have a proper pc, but lacks of GPU :P

When things are not to my liking I change them so they are. 

I gave into it the other day and bought all the parts for the PC build I've been wanting to do.

I fully regret it, but I'm happy I did it at the same time. xD

Happy Gaming! :)

Amazon Wishlists and checking reviews on individual parts on youtube. Since I'm not in the us browsing newegg would be quite a bit pointless (plus it makes me sad and angry how much more I have to pay for all the components)

I also just try to find some old linustechtips build logs to get my mind off of wanting to upgrade my pc ... I don't know, it works^^

Tell myself that what I have is good enough, and that my life won't be that much better as a result of having spent $X00.

I don't. 
It literally keeps me up at night, like right now actually. 
I had a i7 build that was 1k, couldn't afford it, So I took out the i7, the 970 and made it into an AMD6300 and 750ti build, build total is $492.50, and literally two days before my paycheck (I get paid once a month) my van shit itself, and now I have to pay exactly $500 to fix it, and this isn't the first time my computer money got sucked away. 

I got paid today, and I had it in my hands guys, the gateway to my computer, the thing I will stream my crappy gameplay with, The thing i will use for being in college for software design, gone in a flash because I own a POS van. 

I hate being on this laptop that can barely run minecraft at 20fps on a good day. 
Pray for me boys to ascend to the all might master race, for I feel hopeless </3 
And the final knife in the heart, I helped my friend build his Pc, it was an i7 build with a 980, his GPU is literally more expensive than my entire build, being an adult sucks guys. 

The itch is incurable, don't deny it. 

I take my paycheck and give it all to my parents to pay for my car.  Works pretty well.  no money, no spend

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Fire up the Pentium 4 rig, overclock it, remove cpu cooler, touch it, and die a slow death.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I'm planning on buying a PS4 instead of a new video card

b37c866a4654771b82d44b3ff99010f7e99e12e2

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I just dont I limit my self to 1 thing every couple of months this months pay goes on to a 6tb HDD.

I get even more of an itch as I build all my friends computers and they all want to be spending £1000-£3000 on there computer and sometimes whish I had there parts