Silent Hills with Kojima, Del Toro and Norman Reedus is officially cancelled

NickTheMajin

And I would have to agree that he is a marvelous actor. I love him in the walking dead. And how could you know how well he would fit the character when we have absolutely no information on the story of the game. None of us have played it or know how his character would have been.

I like pretty much any movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. Not because he's popular but because he's an amazing actor.

I never doubted his acting skills. But I dislike the use of an actor in very similar cases/genres or when the actor is just to well known for the role that made him popular (Tony Shalhoub in Thirteen Ghosts? Always saw him as Adrian Monk). Actors work with their skills, not with their looks (e.g. Brian Cranston.

But since the character in Silent Hill looks just like Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead I can't help but think that this was a design choice in favor of recognizablity of a popular TV show character and advertising for the game.

I know no one that bought a PC just for Star Citizen... 

I built my first ever PC for Morrowind. Needless to say I'm still a PC gamer first and foremost. I love having a PS4 as well though. A lot of people on forums like this like to discredit consoles but they really are nice to have around and get some good games PC doesn't get. 

I never doubted his acting skills. But I dislike the use of an actor in very similar cases/genres or when the actor is just to well known for the role that made him popular (Tony Shalhoub in Thirteen Ghosts? Always saw him as Adrian Monk). Actors work with their skills, not with their looks (e.g. Brian Cranston.But since the character in Silent Hill looks just like Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead I can't help but think that this was a design choice in favor of recognizablity of a popular TV show character and advertising for the game.

We wouldn't know for certain until it comes out. It's a little ignorant to judge an entire game before its ever released. Save your reviews for release. Never judge a book by its cover.

Although in this case we'll never know.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I never doubted his acting skills. But I dislike the use of an actor in very similar cases/genres or when the actor is just to well known for the role that made him popular (Tony Shalhoub in Thirteen Ghosts? Always saw him as Adrian Monk). Actors work with their skills, not with their looks (e.g. Brian Cranston.But since the character in Silent Hill looks just like Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead I can't help but think that this was a design choice in favor of recognizablity of a popular TV show character and advertising for the game.

Go back and read my edit. I added a rebuttal.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Maybe you don't but I surely do.

I did buy Star Citizen but only after I had my computer, I mean the reason I got a PC was for high quality and just better platform where you can have same games on multiple machines.

Go back and read my edit. I added a rebuttal.

The difference is that I couldn't care less about CoD and Activision. But yes, Activision obviously included Kevin Spacey in the game for the purpose of gaining more attention (it has already gotten pretty boring with the annual releases of basically the same).

What Konami did with Norman Reedus is in no way different. Why else must the game character look exactly like his tv show character? Recognition value.

The difference is that I couldn't care less about CoD and Activision. But yes, Activision obviously included Kevin Spacey in the game for the purpose of gaining more attention (it has already gotten pretty boring with the annual releases of basically the same).What Konami did with Norman Reedus is in no way different. Why else must the game character look exactly like his tv show character? Recognition value.

It was a rebuttal. It's an example following suit of your logic while I explained the contradiction. It doesn't matter if you cared or not. You cannot know if it was for recognition or not. All you have is speculation. Norman could have been a very suitable actor for the character they were trying to portray. Either way, it doesn't matter anymore.

[...] You cannot know if it was for recognition or not. All you have is speculation. Norman could have been a very suitable actor for the character they were trying to portray. [...]

Neither do you. You cannot know if he was hired for his talent.

It's just very suspicious that the character they were trying to portray looked exactly like his most famous role. The only thing that bugs me is that now I'll never know if I was right about this...

Neither do you. You cannot know if he was hired for his talent.It's just very suspicious that the character they were trying to portray looked exactly like his most famous role. The only thing that bugs me is that now I'll never know if I was right about this...

I know, that was my ENTIRE point. I never claimed he was hired for his talent. My point is, we don't know if he was or not. Your complete dismissal of the game without actually even knowing is ignorance. Speculation and observation are two very different things, my friend.

I know, that was my ENTIRE point. I never claimed he was hired for his talent. My point is, we don't know if he was or not. Your complete dismissal of the game without actually even knowing is ignorance. Speculation and observation are two very different things, my friend.

Au contraire, mon ami! I know exactly why I dismissed the game. Why would I want to play a game with a character in it that looks exactly like a character that I absolutely dislike? It doesn't matter if the character in the game had a total different personality, I would constantly be reminded of the guy from that tv show that annoys me.

That, the fact that I liked the first three games very much, and potential speculation about the reasons why the game character looks the way he does, are responsible for the way I feel about this Silent Hill game being cancelled.

Au contraire, mon ami! I know exactly why I dismissed the game. Why would I want to play a game with a character in it that looks exactly like a character that I absolutely dislike? It doesn't matter if the character in the game had a total different personality, I would constantly be reminded of the guy from that tv show that annoys me.

That, the fact that I liked the first three games very much, and potential speculation about the reasons why the game character looks the way he does, are responsible for the way I feel about this Silent Hill game being cancelled.

From your original post, which I quote:

Using a character from a currently popular show is a terrible idea to begin with. For me this would've been a reason to not buy the game. Not sorry it got cancelled.
You said it was because of it being a popular actor. NOT because you didn't like what the actor looked like.

I've got to go to work. We can continue this discussion after I get off of my shift if you have more to add. I'd suggest we PM about these matters as it's a bit off topic.

He plays Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead. His character is especially popular ("If Daryl dies we riot").

But he's not a real life TV character :P

From your original post, which I quote:

You said it was because of it being a popular actor. NOT because you didn't like what the actor looked like.

Oh, come on! Now you're just trying to find flaws in my reasoning and personal opinion. Just because I said one thing doesn't mean something else I said takes the value out of the former.

But here's to clarify: I dislike the use of popular figures to promote unrelated products (using the fame of others for oneself). The fact that the character of Norman Reedus in the game looks exactly like his character in the tv show 'The Walking Dead', Daryl Dixon, suggests that this choice was made in favor of having someone in the game that is recognizable for additional advertisement. In addition to that I'm sick of the hype of 'The Walking Dead' and especially the hype about Daryl Dixon but I loved the Silent Hill games (at least the first three). Now you have something you like and something you dislike and a company decides to them together. How do you feel?

But he's not a real life TV character :P

What do you mean?

It looked interesting. Oh well.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Goddamn I just replayed P.T again. Never been this disappointed in a game cancellation before. Aside from maybe Shenmue 3 and Kotor 3 but those were never official.