Why are phones coming with high-res displays?

RevoltTrain

I've been wondering why recently phones have been shipping with displays with a higher res than 1080p, I personally don't see a reason behind it.

Having three 1080p displays on my desk I have been wondering why phones have higher res displays than most people's monitors if I can't even see pixels at 23 inch display.

Is it just for marketing or is there a real reason?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Marketing is the best reason I can think of.

Same for why phones raced for MOAR MEGAPIXELS recently. People buy products with larger numbers, regardless if it actually makes the product better.

It's a "size matters" syndrome.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Pretty much just for marketing reasons, but there is some reasoning behind it.

You probablu sit 2-4 ft. away from your monitor, but you migt look at you phone maybe 2-3" away from your eyes. 

At that distance, a high resolution display might make sense. 

But for the most parts, it's just marketing. Having a more pixels, means some people think it's a better phone.

but as Apple (and others) have showed, it's not just about the pixels, it's more to due with the screen it self.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This is how one of their meetings goes:

Boss: we need new innovations for our next flagship

Others: we could add a better camera

Others: we could add a better battery

Others: we could remove some of the bloatware that come with our current ones

Others: we could make a better design and not steal other's

Others: we could improve the build quality

Others: we could provide a better, more efficient cpu

Others: we could allow expandable storage
Others: we could sell it cheaper

Others: we could add a better transmitter and reciever

Others: we could add more ram

That one guy: we could add an unnecessary larger display so we can lure unknowing common folk about this great 5 inch 4k display that will ruin the battery life and graphical performance and will have no perceivable difference unless you hold a magnifying glass up to it

Boss: by joe, you're a fucking genius, you shall be promoted to my chief assistant and you'll get 9000% raise, make this new phone immediately

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

This is how one of their meetings goes:

Boss: we need new innovations for our next flagship

Others: we could add a better camera

Others: we could add a better battery

Others: we could remove some of the bloatware that come with our current ones

Others: we could make a better design and not steal other's

Others: we could improve the build quality

Others: we could provide a better, more efficient cpu

Others: we could allow expandable storage

Others: we could sell it cheaper

Others: we could add a better transmitter and reciever

Others: we could add more ram

That one guy: we could add an unnecessary larger display so we can lure unknowing common folk about this great 5 inch 4k display that will ruin the battery life and graphical performance and will have no perceivable difference unless you hold a magnifying glass up to it

Boss: by joe, you're a fucking genius, you shall be promoted to my chief assistant and you'll get 9000% raise, make this new phone immediately

Battery life on the S6 is great, the 1440p is for the VR really

I can easily see the pixels on my 24" 1920x1200 monitor. If I look closely at my 5.5" 1080p phone, which I often do, I can still see the pixels. So I would defenitely appreciate a 1440p phone display, but it should have the battery to back it up.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Some phones handle 1440P quite good and i honestly am somewhat impressed with LG :"QHD Quantom Dots IPS Display" = "QHD Super Amoled" x-x one for the vibrant and vivid colors and the other one for realistic and sharp ones... And they are coming with high res displays because thats the only thing going forward :o

Groomlake Authority