Desktop microphone with background noise?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm looking at the Samson Meteor, which seems like a decent, portable desktop mic.

But I've only ever experienced (crappy) headset microphones. And even though they were horrible, they didn't pick up too much background noise, which I liked.

Is the background noise a big problem with desktop mics? And if so, is there a way to fix it / microphones who can deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm looking at the Samson Meteor, which seems like a decent, portable desktop mic.

But I've only ever experienced (crappy) headset microphones. And even though they were horrible, they didn't pick up too much background noise, which I liked.

Is the background noise a big problem with desktop mics? And if so, is there a way to fix it / microphones who can deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

The Meteor is a condenser mic. It WILL pick up background noise.  Dynamic mics are what you want if you just want your voice.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The Meteor is a condenser mic. It WILL pick up background noise.  Dynamic mics are what you want if you just want your voice.

Any suggestions?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJOZS4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B004QJOZS4&link_code=as3&tag=audiotuts-20

This seems to be getting good reviews and is priced the same as the Meteor, at least on Amazon.  Decent dynamics can cost a pretty penny, and the most popular for amateur/prosumers is probably the RODE Podcaster, which costs approximately 3-4 times the Meteor.  I myself use the Audio-Technica AT2020, which is a condenser but good enough for my use.  As long as the source of the noise is behind the mic, you can control a bit the amount of background that gets broadcast.

Here's a good example of it being used for streams.  Quiet room, minimal background noise.

-Snip-

Are there Dynamics which you can set on the desktop?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Are there Dynamics which you can set on the desktop?

You mean ones that have a stand built-in or included?  With the same budget?  I doubt it though.

You mean ones that have a stand built-in or included?  With the same budget?  I doubt it though.

I would love to just have a microphone which can just stand on my desk and especially record my voice, preferably not the ones from downstairs.

Basic guide to CPU's!

I would love to just have a microphone which can just stand on my desk and especially record my voice, preferably not the ones from downstairs.

Really depends on how loud the downstairs are and how quiet your room is while recording.  

i really like my blue nessie. i got it off amazon for around 60 originally 99. same capsule as the blue yeti. 3 different recording modes. does well with back ground noise just don't eat in front of it. i can't attach a link because I'm at work.

Really depends on how loud the downstairs are and how quiet your room is while recording.  

Downstairs is people talking, and there's no room noise besides my computer.

Basic guide to CPU's!

i really like my blue nessie. i got it off amazon for around 60 originally 99. same capsule as the blue yeti. 3 different recording modes. does well with back ground noise just don't eat in front of it. i can't attach a link because I'm at work.

Thanks!

Basic guide to CPU's!

not a problem. for the price i think its hard to beat.

Will take a look at it, thanks!

Basic guide to CPU's!