WD Blue Vs Black

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I go with the black one would I see a big difference in speed? I will have a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD so the HDD will be only for storage. I know the black one is better but is it worth the 30$-40$ more if it's only for storage. It's gonna go in my new build of 2500$ with tax.

There's my build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 1 4GB GDDR5 
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB 
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Hard Drive HDD: Western Digital Black or Blue 1TB 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold
DVD Player/Burner: ASUS (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 
Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 x2
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144hz 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 

Thanks in advance!! :D

If it's just storage it doesn't really matter

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

If you prefer more speed then WD Black works for you (more to performance), but if you're using this for like normal use and speed isn't number 1 then WD Blue works for you (balance). Because you're getting an SSD I think WD Blue would save you more money but still get decent performance. If you rarely use the HDD, maybe just for backups and such then WD Green works for you (power saving, less performance).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

SNIP

Depends what you are storing

if you are storing more demanding programs  etc - Black

if you are storing files and some normal programs - Blue

If you are just archiving files like photos - Green

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Black has longer warranty and slightly faster.

Pretty much paying for extra warranty..

EDIT: Apparently it runs a bit faster so if you need faster, then go for it.

Games and stuff could benefit from it.

You won't see a big difference, but you get 5 years of warranty with the WD Black instead of 2 years for the Blue. So it could mean that they are more reliable than the Blue series. 

You won't see a big difference, but you get 5 years of warranty with the WD Black instead of 2 years for the Blue. So it could mean that they are more reliable than the Blue series. 

Black has longer warranty and slightly faster.

Pretty much paying for extra warranty..

EDIT: Apparently it runs a bit faster so if you need faster, then go for it.

Games and stuff could benefit from it.

Depends what you are storing

if you are storing more demanding programs  etc - Black

if you are storing files and some normal programs - Blue

If you are just archiving files like photos - Green

If you prefer more speed then WD Black works for you (more to performance), but if you're using this for like normal use and speed isn't number 1 then WD Blue works for you (balance). Because you're getting an SSD I think WD Blue would save you more money but still get decent performance. If you rarely use the HDD, maybe just for backups and such then WD Green works for you (power saving, less performance).

I'm really getting it just for storage, all the programs that will be running will go on my SSD. I will store games iso, program iso, music, movies and other stuff like that on my HDD. Is it worth putting 30$ more on my budget to get the black?

I'm really getting it just for storage, all the programs that will be running will go on my SSD. I will store games iso, program iso, music, movies and other stuff like that on my HDD. Is it worth putting 30$ more on my budget to get the black?

Hopefully Captain_WD can get back because who knows better about the differences than someone who works for the company..

Hopefully Captain_WD can get back because who knows better about the differences than someone who works for the company..

haha hopefully!

~snip~

Hey EvilGenius,

Games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. since you have a SSD, you can put the more demanding games and applications on it and leave everything else for the HDD. There are a number of differences between WD Blue and WD Black. WD Black is designed for performance and durability. It runs a bit faster, but I doubt you would notice big differences in games. It also performs better during multitasking. It is also designed to sustain longer heavier workloads and harsher environments (vibrations, heat, etc.). WD Black also has a longer warranty. 

WD Blue is limited to 1TB so if that is enough, I would suggest going with it, if you are not doing something storage-demanding with your HDD. If you are going to run heavier applications, games or larger files and need longer and more demanding access times or a large than 1TB drive, I would suggest WD Black.

WD Blue is the more common drive when combining with a SSD as users already have a drive for the more demanding things and simply need 1TB of storage. :)

I have trouble getting notifications from tags (there is a problem with my nickname or something, I've spoken to the mods), so if someone needs my assistance, feel free to drop a PM. :) Thanks for mentioning me @Tim Drake .

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey EvilGenius,

Games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. since you have a SSD, you can put the more demanding games and applications on it and leave everything else for the HDD. There are a number of differences between WD Blue and WD Black. WD Black is designed for performance and durability. It runs a bit faster, but I doubt you would notice big differences in games. It also performs better during multitasking. It is also designed to sustain longer heavier workloads and harsher environments (vibrations, heat, etc.). WD Black also has a longer warranty. 

WD Blue is limited to 1TB so if that is enough, I would suggest going with it, if you are not doing something storage-demanding with your HDD. If you are going to run heavier applications, games or larger files and need longer and more demanding access times or a large than 1TB drive, I would suggest WD Black.

WD Blue is the more common drive when combining with a SSD as users already have a drive for the more demanding things and simply need 1TB of storage. :)

I have trouble getting notifications from tags (there is a problem with my nickname or something, I've spoken to the mods), so if someone needs my assistance, feel free to drop a PM. :) Thanks for mentioning me @Tim Drake .

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions.

Captain_WD.

Perfect thank you very much for the information, can't get better than someone working for Western Digital. I will go for the Blue one. ;)

Perfect thank you very much for the information, can't get better than someone working for Western Digital. I will go for the Blue one. ;)

Glad I could be of help :) feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions that I could answer. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/