Hi I'm new to hard line pc cooling and I had just one question. When I post do I need a cpu fan or not because the 5820k doesn't come with a stock fan.

Hi I'm new to hard line pc cooling and I had just one question. When I post do I need a cpu fan or not because the 5820k doesn't come with a stock fan.

It doesn't come with cooler so you don't post with the CPU Cooler, just like you said.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

by what you have said i presume you mean that you have a custom loop and you want to test the cpu before you assemble the loop ? 

But yes 5820k does not come with a cpu stock cooler because intel think that someone buying a high end chip wont need it if you wan to test it you will need to get a cheap socket 2011-v3 cooler 

if you have the waterblock you could fit it on the cpu and quicly check if it posts, then turn it off imedialtely!

note: this is a bit risky, but there are safety measures built in.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I used the Evo 212 which runs for about $30 USD.

It works great, simple to install (takes 10 minutes). Runs extremely cool. You can comfortably over clock on it as well.

I was able to get my 5820k to 4.3GHz on a Evo.

Currently using a H100i which is watercooling which is also a awesome option, currently overclocked to 4.7GHz.

no just enough to post

I have a custom loop

As they said, the Evo or the stock one linked are the cheapest you're gonna get. If you're building an H2O loop, then I dont see what an extra $30 is.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.