R9 290 fails at 78°C (172°F)

MrSpicedBacon

Hi,

When I'm playing games and my GPU's temps reach 78°C, my GPU starts to create little dots on the screen and sometimes some planes (Like here: http://puu.sh/hmysL/b0fa429543.jpg).

I've been searching for a fix for a while, but I can't seem to find the answer...
If I don't alt-tab to another screen in time, my whole pc just crashes. (It's not just GTA V only, I also have it on some other GPU-heavy games)

Thanks,

Bacon

Hi Bacon,

The blue dots and planes that you are reffering to are called Artifacts. Artifacting usually occurs when the GPU is overheating or overclocked too heavily.

What we should check first is whether or not your GPU is being automatically overclocked by some software utility. Check around in your PC for any overclocking 

software that is running. And also check your Catalyst software and check if there is any kind of GPU boosting or overclocking enabled there. If you find anything 

like this, disable it. This is what probably what is causing your issues. If this doesn't help:

out is whether or not the GPU is overheating by using a hardware monitoring utility like: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Install this free program and monitor your GPU temparatures. The R9 290 naturally runs very hot, so this will usually result in a shorter lifespan for the GPU.

If the temps aren't that high then your GPU is probably dying of age. Follow the steps above and tell us if it worked. If not we might be able to help you :).

Regards,

Alenova

Try monitor VRM temperature and core voltage. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Happened to me except it was pink coloured noise. It remained there even after reboot and made my whole windows pink. Went away after i re-sit my gpu tho.

This I cold-solder on vram, not much you can do unless you have rework station.