Adding More VRAM?

I was just talking to my dad about my choice to go for an R9 290 over R9 270 Crossfire once I get it back from RMA, and the VRAM problem came up. The R9 290 choice is far more appealing because of its 4 GB frame buffer, because I am concerned that 2 GB will not be sufficient for much longer at 1080p if I want to have ultra or even high settings. And that led into a discussion of whether it is possible or even appealing to be able to insert more VRAM into the graphics board by having sockets for the user to solder in, or however, if the amount of VRAM is not sufficient. 

What I want to know is if there is some technical reason why this can't be done, or if it is simply unappealing for the manufacturers of the boards to do so due to costs and whatnot. Also, if it is possible and financially feasible to do so, would the users of this forum and PC gamers in general be willing to do this if necessary or otherwise? I know I would, because I feel comfortable with my dad teaching me how to do it properly, since he's really knowledgeable in this kind of stuff.

What do you guys think?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I don't think it works how you think it works. 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

If you do that (i don't know if it's possible, but I think not) you would never be able to RMA your card ever again. I think this is a bad idea all around, unless you are a professional or are doing it for science. The 270 is already not enough for 1080p and it's not due to vram.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

The only problem with this is there would only be so many cases where it would be necessary. Otherwise, it's just going to be too expensive for the card vendors to add to their cards.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

I don't think it works how you think it works. 

don't know how it works. That's why I'm wondering. :P

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

As far as I know you can't but that hasn't stopped people before...

Also DX12 will SHOULD stack VRAM with CF + SLI

I know, but how long is it going to be until games utilize DirectX 12? Also, I would prefer to get a more powerful single card because it will allow me to add another in the future.

don't know how it works. That's why I'm wondering. :P

Well everything is connected on the PCB, its not like you can just solder one on and call it a day. 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

It would greatly increase the complexity of how the memory is controlled on the GPU, as an example take a look at why the GTX970 has a slow 500MB portion of memory http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

I also don't think it's very feasible for a graphics card. The DIMM slots on a motherboard take up a significant amount of space in terms of mounting and connection points. If a high end GPU has 6 memory chips that are spaced close enough together as it is that there's no room to add more, what makes you think there's any more room on the PCB to add extra unused ones or even just the mounting points for the current ones?

From the perspective of manufacturers, adding a socket to add in more VRAM would likely cost more money to create than actually adding the VRAM themselves. While VRAM itself isn't dirt cheap, it's certainly not that expensive for manufacturers to add more of.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

All GPU's would need is a slot on either side for sticks of GDDR RAM, so its actually feasible, though the latency might be a little bit higher.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well everything is connected on the PCB, its not like you can just solder one on and call it a day. 

Well, obviously, what I'm proposing would require a few changes to be made. For example, having the connections already in place in a socket or something and then solder it in. I want to know if that particular solution is possible or not.

It would greatly increase the complexity of how the memory is controlled on the GPU, as an example take a look at why the GTX970 has a slow 500MB portion of memory http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

I also don't think it's very feasible for a graphics card. The DIMM slots on a motherboard take up a significant amount of space in terms of mounting and connection points. If a high end GPU has 6 memory chips that are spaced close enough together as it is that there's no room to add more, what makes you think there's any more room on the PCB to add extra unused ones or even just the mounting points for the current ones?

I didn't say I thought there was room. That's one of the things I thought would be a problem by comparing it to how system RAM is inserted into a motherboard.

Well, obviously, what I'm proposing would require a few changes to be made. For example, having the connections already in place in a socket or something and then solder it in. I want to know if that particular solution is possible or not.

I didn't say I thought there was room. That's one of the things I thought would be a problem by comparing it to how system RAM is inserted into a motherboard.

SODIMM slots

PMSL

SODIMM slots

That would work, wouldn't it? I didn't think of that. xD

That would work, wouldn't it? I didn't think of that. xD

Still not enough room on the PCB

Still not enough room on the PCB

There would be on a Gigabyte card, look at how much length the cooler adds to them.

PMSL