Eidos Disables Your Guns in Jailbroken iOS Devices

obsidian1200

Full Article: http://kotaku.com/eidos-disables-your-guns-in-ios-deus-ex-if-your-device-745716031

So, has anyone downloaded the latest and greatest Deus Ex game on their jailbroken iOS device? If you have, you'll quickly find that you can't fire your weapons! That's right, Eidos has decided to disable the use of weapons in their game Deus Ex: The Fall if it's running on a jailbroken device. I'm assuming this is to discourage pirating of their game, but what does this imply about jailbreakers and rooters? Why, ye be dirty pirates of course, yaaargh... But in all seriousness, this message isn't popping up exclusively for the people who pirated the game. It's also coming up for people with a verified purchase through iTunes, for the people who did pay $7. If you looked at the description in iTunes when the title was originally released, there was no mention of this, although since then the description has been edited to include that little detail.

On a personal note, I can't help but feel a little offended. Sure, there are a lot of people who jailbreak/root just for piracy, and that sucks. But, people such as myself, rooted their devices to unlock additional features and (in the case of my android tablet) push updated ROMs onto it because the device developer drops support for it as soon as the newest model is released. At that, the practice of rooting/jailbreaking your smartphone in the USA is legal; the worst that happens is you void your warranty, but big whoop there. But, despite all this, I'd still be treated like I did pirate the software.

Again, it's another example of "guilty until proven innocent" sort of situation. I don't see why Eidos didn't set this up in a way so that iTunes-verified purchases are exempt from this "warning" screen that pops up in the tutorial. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the nitty gritty on iTunes DRM for their Apps, so maybe such a thing isn't possible. At that, it makes me wonder if Square Enix is going to start doing this with more games they've published on iOS through updates.

Any other thoughts on the matter? Discuss them in the comments below! :)

sorry entered comment in wrong topic so removed

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

install XCOM from cydia to fix it ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

sorry entered comment in wrong topic so removed

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

hmmm an android tablet that i will be getting will come rooted from the manufacturer. just hope that google and android devs dont jump onboard

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))