How to tell where GPU usage is coming from?

Cookybiscuit

I have a GTX 780  reference card and its worked totally fine since I got it at launch, however since about a week ago its been randomly pegged at 99% usage just sitting at the desktop.

If I go into windows processes and close 'mdm* 32' it stops doing it and returns to idle. Also, I've noticed that if my internet cuts out the same thing happens, which kind of implies I have some kind of mining virus or something?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

sounds like you have a BTC miner

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

@Cookybiscuit Have you tried running a virus scan? or looking under installed programs on the control panel to see if anything was installed that you didn't install?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I have a GTX 780  reference card and its worked totally fine since I got it at launch, however since about a week ago its been randomly pegged at 99% usage just sitting at the desktop.

If I go into windows processes and close 'mdm* 32' it stops doing it and returns to idle. Also, I've noticed that if my internet cuts out the same thing happens, which kind of implies I have some kind of mining virus or something?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

You need to check if that is linked with a miner, what I did was I enabled Windows Defender and it stopped entirely. I found out it was a miner attached to my "svchost" process that ran and used 50% of my CPU everytime my PC turned on, so I located the process in task manager and right clicked it > Properties > and in the details somewhere it said someones Bitcoin Wallet Address and that's when I knew it was a miner, it was linked to a pool.

Nothing in installed programs, would Malwarebytes work for detecting this? I used to use it but then it started crashing when scanning.

Been using my computer without an antivirus, so probably my own fault.  ;)