Upgrading my rig

nnuzzo141

So im looking to upgrade my rig to something more "capable" of running battlefield and other games in 1080p at much higher settings then the low-medium that my current rig can handle. Id also like to have haswell on it. Wanted to put my proposed parts for approval of the minds from this forum. Ill also document the upgrade process :)

The current specs:

I5 3rd gen at 2.9ghz (non overclockable and cooled by a corsair h100i........no idea why)

MSI Z77a-G45

Galaxy GTX550ti (one gig card) 

OCZ 700w psu

WD Caviar blue 500gb and a WD Caviar black 320gb

all inside a NZXT Tempest 410elite

Peripherals:

Razer blackwidow 2013 ultimate

Logitech performance mx mouse

generic dell speakers because I mainly use my Turtle beach DX11's

Below are pictures of it currently (taken with a phone so please excuse the quality)

post-15551-0-99802400-1373599510.jpg

These were taken last time I finished cleaning it out (im a nut about neatness and looks)

post-15551-0-31447700-1373599585.jpg

I tried my best with cable management (I may have forgotten to say this was my first build)

post-15551-0-58115000-1373599764_thumb.j

hard drives crammed in back there because it looked better on other side with window :)

post-15551-0-67447700-1373599824.jpg

Just a close up shot of the hdd

post-15551-0-82139600-1373599864_thumb.j

Everything all setup in basement. Laptop is an aspire s7 and the 2 monitors are 2 1080p benq 23 inch.

Sorry for poor pictures, taken on my phone!

post-15551-0-19874600-1373600359_thumb.p

These are the proposed parts I was thinking. Decided on 770 because im sticking with 1080p for the foreseeably future and ive always heard the classified cards from EVGA are beast.

I included the prices incase any of you could find this stuff for a better price because saving money is good :P

The only parts you should really change is upgrading the gpu and adding an ssd. 

Upgrading to haswell would give very little increase in gaming performance.

What's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Cant see anything that needs improving from that selection except maybe the power supply you don't need that much wattage for single gpu try the AX760i or even lower wattage just don't go to low 

16GB is a total overkill and the AX760I would be more then enough

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

16GB is a total overkill and the AX760I would be more then enough

Yes, 760i would be enough, but you can never have enough ram :P

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Save some money and keep that OCZ 700W that you have. Get a GTX 780 with that money saved. Wait for the ASUS Maximus VI Formula instead of getting the Hero, the Formula should come out by the end of July. For $159.99 this G-Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 16 GB RAM kit is better for your money. Upgrade to a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, and you should be good (840 write speeds are less than average performance).

I picked that psu because I wanted to go with corsair link (forgot about 760i lol)

I wanted to match the gpu to mobo and since the Evga z87 classified isn't out yet......

Budget of around ~1700

Will prob order buy Sunday (birthday present to myself :P)

Added a new wireless card and gpu, went with classified 770 because I'm planning to sli them and 780 didn't make sence for just 1080p gaming. Pics to come

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry i havent posted i a while but progress has been done!

PIcked up an intel 180gb ssd and added that to the computer.

Ordered a new wireless card and a gpu

Also ordered a psu a few days ago and just got it

Now theres problem.

My gpu makes a weird noise when the fans go over 70% so i sent that back and waiting for a new one. Not that id be able to use the card anyway because i must have hit it or pushed it into the pci slot to hard because that slot no longer works on the motherboard so im without a gaming pc and have been resorted to gaming on my xbox :( . 

Im waiting for the EVGA Z87 FTW board and hopefully that comes out soon. Going to get that with a 4670k and then my computer will be perfect performance wise. Then i have to perfect the aesthetics of the pc :D

Pictures soon to come, probably later today!

U could still use the second PCI-e sloth yes it works on X8 Gen3 but its better then nothing

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, CPU: Intel Core I7 4770K @ 4.3 GHz, CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming OC, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene, PSU: Corsair TX750-V2, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D modded with TG sidepanel

Sorry i havent posted i a while but progress has been done!

PIcked up an intel 180gb ssd and added that to the computer.

Ordered a new wireless card and a gpu

Also ordered a psu a few days ago and just got it

Now theres problem.

My gpu makes a weird noise when the fans go over 70% so i sent that back and waiting for a new one. Not that id be able to use the card anyway because i must have hit it or pushed it into the pci slot to hard because that slot no longer works on the motherboard so im without a gaming pc and have been resorted to gaming on my xbox :( . 

Im waiting for the EVGA Z87 FTW board and hopefully that comes out soon. Going to get that with a 4670k and then my computer will be perfect performance wise. Then i have to perfect the aesthetics of the pc :D

Pictures soon to come, probably later today! 

return it and get the asus gtx 770 its quieter and has backplate which is niceeeeeeeeee

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

I think you'd have been way better off getting a GTX 780 and keeping the old CPU and mobo, you really won't see any noticeable difference in games performance from i5 ivy to i5 Haswell. 2133Mhz RAM is completely pointless for gaming too, for now at least.

return it and get the asus gtx 770 its quieter and has backplate which is niceeeeeeeeee

The classified 770 has a free backplate that comes from Evga. I highly doubt its that much quieter. My experience with Asus cards is an obnoxious coil wine and fans that sound like a jet plane taking off

I think you'd have been way better off getting a GTX 780 and keeping the old CPU and mobo, you really won't see any noticeable difference in games performance from i5 ivy to i5 Haswell. 2133Mhz RAM is completely pointless for gaming too, for now at least.

I also decided against the 780 cuz it would be a waste for 1080p and if I decide to try the triple monitor I could get a second card. But we shall see how intense bf4 is and I might do sli

The classified 770 has a free backplate that comes from Evga. I highly doubt its that much quieter. My experience with Asus cards is an obnoxious coil wine and fans that sound like a jet plane taking off

yeah, i'm regretting met 2 680's as well, as soon as they need to get over like 30% (the fans) it's like: dude, relax, you're just blowing some air.

and as you know or not know, hade some issues with asus service. so in my next build no asus parts.

just not worth the money for the brand rog asus x)

how's the evga card working out?

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

yeah, i'm regretting met 2 680's as well, as soon as they need to get over like 30% (the fans) it's like: dude, relax, you're just blowing some air.

and as you know or not know, hade some issues with asus service. so in my next build no asus parts.

just not worth the money for the brand rog asus x)

how's the evga card working out?

Works great! and glad some one else shares my views of asus rog stuff not being worth it! the evga card worked great and its hopefully fixed version should be back tuesday. Handles everything i throw at it and overclocks beautifullly. Card stays extremely cool and has never exceeded temp target even running crysis 3 in 1080p max settings

I like the dog, did you overclock it? :)

Amazing rig man, so jealous... Only the red PCI-e cables don't fit that much.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Works great! and glad some one else shares my views of asus rog stuff not being worth it! the evga card worked great and its hopefully fixed version should be back tuesday. Handles everything i throw at it and overclocks beautifullly. Card stays extremely cool and has never exceeded temp target even running crysis 3 in 1080p max settings

well, making that post i find out that actually a lot of people had some bad hangovers with asus service, so i just think they trust on their big ass brand name to sell products and that anybody who doesn't have like the best of the best store service, is just screwed by the asus service.

people should know about what's behind a brand name, and you see more and more evga , msi , and others coming up in personal rigs. only downside is, they have the superiority in the motherboards, because they have a clean look.

msi has a cool look, but it's not very clean wich doesn't mind me, but when people are doing watercooling it's all about a clean build, and that's where asus motherboards are (hopefully for now) the pretty much only way to go

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate

well, making that post i find out that actually a lot of people had some bad hangovers with asus service, so i just think they trust on their big ass brand name to sell products and that anybody who doesn't have like the best of the best store service, is just screwed by the asus service.

people should know about what's behind a brand name, and you see more and more evga , msi , and others coming up in personal rigs. only downside is, they have the superiority in the motherboards, because they have a clean look.

msi has a cool look, but it's not very clean wich doesn't mind me, but when people are doing watercooling it's all about a clean build, and that's where asus motherboards are (hopefully for now) the pretty much only way to go

u forget about the gigabyte 990FXA-ud3/ud5/ud7 and the GA-X79-UP4 , the MSIbig bang X-power , asrock X97 extreme6 and above.... those are all very underrated products that look extremely clean

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

u forget about the gigabyte 990FXA-ud3/ud5/ud7 and the GA-X79-UP4 , the MSIbig bang X-power , asrock X97 extreme6 and above.... those are all very underrated products that look extremely clean

i've been corrected :p but most people just go for asus when doing something high end.