Can I put an H55 cooler in the Obsidian 250D?

KingWilliam

Hi,

I am about to build my very first custom PC (did swap some parts and repaired some systems in the past though), and have a pretty basic question.

The Corsair Obsidian 250d looks really neat so I am planning on going with that one. Now I plan on throwing in an Asus Z97I-Plus and i5 4690k. Since I want this thing sitting on the corner of my desk I dont want it to be noisy. First of all, will an H55 help with that? And second, will that even fit in the case? I found that the case comes with 1 120mm cooler on the side, so I thought to just put the H55 next to it (Ill remove the optical drive bay). I saw/read some things about radiators being to close to the motherboard in this case. Will that be the case for me if I do this? 

Small note, I dont really plan on overclocking, but if the system allows me to I just might do it for fun. So my main reason is noise reduction, but the extra benefit of a cooler system I will take gladly.

If you have any special other advice Id be happy to hear it!

Thanks!

Hi,

I am about to build my very first custom PC (did swap some parts and repaired some systems in the past though), and have a pretty basic question.

The Corsair Obsidian 250d looks really neat so I am planning on going with that one. Now I plan on throwing in an Asus Z97I-Plus and i5 4690k. Since I want this thing sitting on the corner of my desk I dont want it to be noisy. First of all, will an H55 help with that? And second, will that even fit in the case? I found that the case comes with 1 120mm cooler on the side, so I thought to just put the H55 next to it (Ill remove the optical drive bay). I saw/read some things about radiators being to close to the motherboard in this case. Will that be the case for me if I do this? 

Small note, I dont really plan on overclocking, but if the system allows me to I just might do it for fun. So my main reason is noise reduction, but the extra benefit of a cooler system I will take gladly.

If you have any special other advice Id be happy to hear it!

Thanks!

Yes it should work.

Make sure that you follow your own topics and welcome to the forum. :)

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Yes it should work.

Make sure that you follow your own topics and welcome to the forum. :)

Wish I got a welcome like that when I joined :P

But yes the H55 will fit in the 250D I would recommend that you install the stock cooler first to see if the computer posts. Then install the H55

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Wish I got a welcome like that when I joined :P

But yes the H55 will fit in the 250D I would recommend that you install the stock cooler first to see if the computer posts. Then install the H55

Interesting idea, but dont I have to be able to reach around to the back of the board to install the H55? I dont think I want to take it out completely after first boot :D

Interesting idea, but dont I have to be able to reach around to the back of the board to install the H55? I dont think I want to take it out completely after first boot :D

It's better to be safe than sorry.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Valid point. I think I might just do that. 

I completed the build so I thought reporting here how it went.

So as advised I first installed the very basics with the stock intel cooler. Didnt take time to properly route cables or anything, just kinda "thrown it in there". That worked from the first time. Booted nicely into UEFI, hurray! Did that in something under 2 hours which I was quite happy with.

Then I took all back out and installed the H55. Horrible! All the trouble I went trough to get this thing in! Firstly, you can not fit it in next to the standard cooler. You just physically can not put them next to each other. if I put it in the front, the tubes push on the front fan or the RAM, if I put it in the back it pushed on this heatsink on the motherboard or the IO ports. But before that it took me a stupidly long time to realise that I had to put the radiator first and put the fan on top instead of the other way around. The corsair manual told me to put the fan first and the radiator on top. I guess switching that around has no impact at all, but damn before I realized! 

Anyway... Its all in there now and it works like a charm. My linux boots in just a few seconds and it just works much much faster than I could imagine. Very happy with this thing. Very silent as well.

I only have one problem left, my HDD and power LEDs do s***. I wonder what the reason for that could be. Maybe switched + and - or something. Ill still need to take a look at that. I could not really find in the manual whether there is a correct or wrong way to connect those cables.

Anyway, thanks for your advice!

SNIP

Could you please take some pictures and post it on the completed builds section? I'd love to see how you went.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build: