PC freezes during boot up! HALP!

War_Raider

So i just did a build 3-4 months ago and i've started haveing this problem for a month or so. When ever i would restart my pc or just start up my pc it either freezes after the Motherboard Screen right when you have that console cursor or during the Starting Windows screen. And it is so random. It takes me a few tries till it boots up correctly. So i took a closer look at the MB poster and when ever it gets stuck at the "AE" post code it freezes but whenever it gets through "AE" code to the "AA" code it boots up just fine. I'll post my build down bellow:

Here are my specs;

·        ASUS X99 DELXUE                                                                              

·        INTEL İ7 5930K                                                                                    

·        EVGA GTX980 SC ACX 2.0                                                                                                                       

·        CORSAİR VENGEANCE LPX 4GB QUAD KİT DDR4 2400MHz           

·        CORSAİR OBSİDİAN 750D CASE                                                           

·        CORSAİR HX850i 850WATT PSU                                                                                                                 

·        COOLER MASTER NEPTON 280l                                                          

·        SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB SSD                                                          

·        SAMSUNG 840EVO 500GB SSD

Here you have a 3D mark result of my gpu;
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6117873

I have exactly the same problem. It started occurring after windows update I installed but I don't know if it was the cause.

Yeah i dont know... i just did a clean format on my pc without all the updates but it still does it!

I guess, im using Windows 7, but it freezes on the loading screen right when the 4 colored bubbles turn into the windows icon!

See if there's an updated firmware available for that board. Here's the download page: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

What I usually do is compare their version with the version that's already installed on your system. To check to see what version you have installed, boot into windows and open the run command tool (Windows key + R) and type in "dxdiag.exe" and when it asks about digitally unassigned drivers say yes. On the first tab it will show you your current motherboard firmware version.

I would really like to know if you solve your issue war_raider.

My spec is nearly identical to yours, and I also have a similar issue, only it doesn't just get stuck at just AE, it also gets stuck at other random stages of the P.O.S.T at boot up as well, most common one for me is "BF"

war_raider, does your system work fine when it actually gets into windows ? like games and applications still work ok ?

See if there's an updated firmware available for that board. Here's the download page: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

What I usually do is compare their version with the version that's already installed on your system. To check to see what version you have installed, boot into windows and open the run command tool (Windows key + R) and type in "dxdiag.exe" and when it asks about digitally unassigned drivers say yes. On the first tab it will show you your current motherboard firmware version.

Im gonna try this out and let you know!

I would really like to know if you solve your issue war_raider.

My spec is nearly identical to yours, and I also have a similar issue, only it doesn't just get stuck at just AE, it also gets stuck at other random stages of the P.O.S.T at boot up as well, most common one for me is "BF"

war_raider, does your system work fine when it actually gets into windows ? like games and applications still work ok ?

Yeah it works fine ones its up, like a beast. As long as its note game or program related!

Yeah you see, mine is the same. The system seems ok once it's up and running. It's just the issue with p.o.s.t at boot up.

war_raider does your system get stuck during p.o.s.t at boot up every time ? or is it more random, like sometimes it will boot with no issue ?

Yeah its totally random. Sometimes it gets stuck 3 or even 4 times in a row and sometimes it boots up just fine.

Did you do a full EUFI windows installation? 

PS windows 7 sucks at EUFI installations always had issues, windows 8 better but X99 is still new and don't think microfail has fixed everything... 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Yeah its totally random. Sometimes it gets stuck 3 or even 4 times in a row and sometimes it boots up just fine.

Yeah exactly, thats what my system does too, like this evening it booted up first time, but the other day I had to boot it up like 4 or 5 times to get it to boot thought to windows.

Like nightmare asked, yeah, is your system overclocked war_raider ? like CPU overclock I mean.

Yeah exactly, thats what my system does too, like this evening it booted up first time, but the other day I had to boot it up like 4 or 5 times to get it to boot thought to windows.

Like nightmare asked, yeah, is your system overclocked war_raider ? like CPU overclock I mean.

Im gonna try this out and let you know!

Yeah it works fine ones its up, like a beast. As long as its note game or program related!

I am prety much positive this has nothing to do with BIOS or hardware. That would be prety weird to suddenly see so many people with the same BIOS/Hardware issues appear at the same time while they have different PC configurations.

I think this has something to do with Windows it self.

Altough I am still working on figuring out the cause.

I have problems only first boot up so far. When I restart PC everything just works fine then and no issues so it is 50% to 50% so far.

Is your system overclocked?

^ This is a good question,

If you have your system overclocked at all, issues like this can happen very frequently. If you DO have it overclocked, I'd recommend setting everything back to stock and see if that fixes the issue.

Nothing is overclocked, everything is running on factory settings.

Nothing is overclocked, everything is running on factory settings.

In that case I have a suspicion that this is a issue that can develop with the asus x99 series boards, or a specific bios version.

What motherboard bios version are you on war_raider ?

The latest one. To be honest im suspecting the mobo aswell.

Hi There,

So lets see, I have actually ran into this a couple of days ago in shop. One of our customer asked to replace a cpu fan that was propriatary to the board. When it was replaced it would reach 25% of Windows 7 logo joining together and freeze at a certain point and immediatly reboot, leading into startup repair option. Based on what you described I am sure you haven't upgraded any parts, therefore we look software wise:

- Have you done any updates before the problem occured?

- what was the lasting you were doing before the problem occurred? (details means everything)

- Since you are using Windows 7, have you tried running in safe mode?

- Have you tried booting up the computer by adding each part one at a time? (This is a great way to troubleshoot hardware)

But if the problem still occurred after a clean install it is most likely the board. But I want to do my best to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Much appriciated. Like you said, the reason why i did a clean install was to eliminate any software related malfunctions. I'll try to boot the system by taking one part after another. Quick question relating to the " taking parts out" process; lets asume i took out the GC and it was all the same, that would indicate that nothing is wrong with the GC correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Much appriciated. Like you said, the reason why i did a clean install was to eliminate any software related malfunctions. I'll try to boot the system by taking one part after another. Quick question relating to the " taking parts out" process; lets asume i took out the GC and it was all the same, that would indicate that nothing is wrong with the GC correct?

Hey war raider, hope you doing ok mate.

I, like yourself, have been researching this boot up issue with x99 boards as well, and I found another post by someone else with very similar spec to you and me that is also having the exact same issue as us. Here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4517076/asus-x99-s-world-of-pain/

As you can see his spec is very similar to yours and mine, and the way he describes the fault is pretty much exactly what is happening to us as well. I strongly believe now that this fault is related to the Asus X99 series boards in combination with a certain set of components, like ram, gpu, etc, and / or it's the 1103 bios version (most likely) - there are newer bios updates out now for the Asus X99, most of which state they "improve system stability"

Anyway, did you have any success fixing the issue at your end war raider ? how did your taking parts out testing go ?

So i just did a build 3-4 months ago and i've started haveing this problem for a month or so. When ever i would restart my pc or just start up my pc it either freezes after the Motherboard Screen right when you have that console cursor or during the Starting Windows screen. And it is so random. It takes me a few tries till it boots up correctly. So i took a closer look at the MB poster and when ever it gets stuck at the "AE" post code it freezes but whenever it gets through "AE" code to the "AA" code it boots up just fine. I'll post my build down bellow:

Here are my specs;

·        ASUS X99 DELXUE                                                                              

·        INTEL İ7 5930K                                                                                    

·        EVGA GTX980 SC ACX 2.0                                                                                                                       

·        CORSAİR VENGEANCE LPX 4GB QUAD KİT DDR4 2400MHz           

·        CORSAİR OBSİDİAN 750D CASE                                                           

·        CORSAİR HX850i 850WATT PSU                                                                                                                 

·        COOLER MASTER NEPTON 280l                                                          

·        SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB SSD                                                          

·        SAMSUNG 840EVO 500GB SSD

Here you have a 3D mark result of my gpu;

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6117873

Considering you have a K series CPU, have you made sure it isn't the OC that is causing the boot freezing?

I know people are saying there is problems with the x99 board you have, but If you are OCing, set it back to stock, and see if it boots up.  (that is if you haven't fixed the problem already.)

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

• 1 month later...

Hey war raider, hope you doing ok mate.

I, like yourself, have been researching this boot up issue with x99 boards as well, and I found another post by someone else with very similar spec to you and me that is also having the exact same issue as us. Here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4517076/asus-x99-s-world-of-pain/

As you can see his spec is very similar to yours and mine, and the way he describes the fault is pretty much exactly what is happening to us as well. I strongly believe now that this fault is related to the Asus X99 series boards in combination with a certain set of components, like ram, gpu, etc, and / or it's the 1103 bios version (most likely) - there are newer bios updates out now for the Asus X99, most of which state they "improve system stability"

Anyway, did you have any success fixing the issue at your end war raider ? how did your taking parts out testing go ?

No success with the testing. The latest bios update didn work either. Im thinking of buying a new mobo, no other way out.

Considering you have a K series CPU, have you made sure it isn't the OC that is causing the boot freezing?

I know people are saying there is problems with the x99 board you have, but If you are OCing, set it back to stock, and see if it boots up. (that is if you haven't fixed the problem already.)

Like i mentioned when i posted this, " No OC'ing whatsoever, everything is running on factory settings.