[NewEgg - US] OCZ Vertex 480GB SSD only $160 after coupon

Dealzon

Maybe not the best SSD ever, but an impressive deal at NewEgg for a larger SSD. Only $0.33 a gig.

Deal will only be good through 4/17/15

ocz-vertex-460a-ssd-2-5-480gb-vtx460a-25

• Deals listed by Dealzon help support LMG / Linus Tech Tips
  • More PC game deals here
  • Latest PC game retailers sales here

pretty sure most people have learnt to not buy OCZ SSDs by now...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why not?

I haven't heard anything bad about them. Mind you I haven't heard anything good about them either hahahaha.

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

why are they so bad? i still have a 128GB SSD from like 3-4 years ago and it works just fine still

my brother and I still use ours, mine is 3 years old, his 2. not a single complaint.

They have always been fine. They had a couple batches in the Vertex 2 / Agility 2 days that were bad... But otherwise they had the most returns because they sold the most back then. 

They have always been fine. They had a couple batches in the Vertex 2 / Agility 2 days that were bad... But otherwise they had the most returns because they sold the most back then. 

before the vertex SSDs they had a ton of issues with SSDs dying, firmware issues, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why not?

I haven't heard anything bad about them. Mind you I haven't heard anything good about them either hahahaha.

they used to have a ton of issues with the firmware, the sandforce controller they used, and a lot of dead SSDs

Spoiler

before the vertex SSDs they had a ton of issues with SSDs dying, firmware issues, etc...

So you are talking about well over 5 years ago...?

Are you stupid? 

So you are talking about well over 5 years ago...?

Are you stupid? 

no...more like 3-4 years ago

right before they went bankrupt and got bought

Spoiler

"Before the vertex SSDs"

Vertex 1 came out like 6 years ago. Vertex and Agility 2 and beyond were very reliable and fast for the time. They had a couple of bad batches with Vertex 2 / Agility 2. But most companies have bad batches of their products every now and then.

Also OCZ went bankrupt just under a year and a half ago. 

That's long enough to escape the old problems they had, especially since they're now a division of Toshiba instead of being on their own. New controllers, new NAND, basically a clean slate.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

That's long enough to escape the old problems they had, especially since they're now a division of Toshiba instead of being on their own. New controllers, new NAND, basically a clean slate.

And even if the time frame he stated was correct, which is isn't, that would still be at least a year and a half to a 2 and a half year gap in between the issues and being bankrupt, hardly enough time to say "right before."

except for the big OCZ branding on it...

Spoiler

"Before the vertex SSDs"

Vertex 1 came out like 6 years ago. Vertex and Agility 2 and beyond were very reliable and fast for the time. They had a couple of bad batches with Vertex 2 / Agility 2. But most companies have bad batches of their products every now and then.

Also OCZ went bankrupt just under a year and a half ago. 

sorry i mean to say before the vector ssds

the vertex ones were the SSDs which had a ton of issues

Spoiler

except for the big OCZ branding on it...

A name means little anymore... If you're daft enough to judge, for example, Hitachi Global Storage Technology (HGST) for the "Deathstar", then you're just being an uninformed consumer who doesn't know that now, Hitachi drives are made by Western Digital. Yes, people buy things for the name, but the section of the industry and market that we're in tend to judge less on name and more on actual changes (though not much more than the rest of the people.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

sorry i mean to say before the vector ssds

the vertex ones were the SSDs which had a ton of issues

To which you are also incorrect. They had the most reported failures because they sold the most. Percentage-wise they had roughly the same returns as everyone else, a little better actually. I have seen several store records proving that.

Vertex 1 was pretty good. Vertex 2 had some bad batches. Vertex 3 was pretty good. Vertex 4 was pretty good.