Sound Card help for a NOOB please

Go to solution Solved by t0wer,

I loved my hd595's, they are not the strongest headphone, so be reasonably gentle with them and they should last.

akg k701 would be good if you plan to buy a nice big powerful desktop amp.

akg k550 or shure srh840 if you're ok with a closed set.

Hey, I was planning to get an Essence STX because I've seen only good reviews for it.

I now need to know which headphones to get.... Closed vs Open, which to chose? Budget of arround 200+, maybe can strech more (like 350 tops) if it is realy worth it. Now, I don't really care for headsets as I have another mic, so a set of headphones would be nice. 

I have seen the 7H, HD555, 595 and 598 but can't find the difference. Any (other) suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I have a pair of audio technica ath m50 and they retail for 200 but I got mine on amazon for 110. I think they are very good. Closed vs open, closed means you can not hear anyone sneaking up on you, but is nice on a plane or lan party where outside noise is annoying. Open means you can hear everything around you, and people near you can hear what you are listening to. Closed vs open is all preference, I would try them out to see which you like best.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

really wouldn't touch the STX, just seems overpriced when you can get a fiio e10 and get a external volume control, no drivers to futz with, and it's easily portable/transportable.

The headphone depends on your use.

Are you Gaming, recording or listening to music or movies?

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Open headphones usually provide a larger sound stage because there's less reflection of sound off the internals of the headphones. That said, if you prefer closed headphones for more isolation, it isn't a big deal.

AKG, Beyerdynamic, and the Sennheiser's you already mentioned are all good headphones for the money you're willing to spend. The more money you can spend will obviously get you "better" headphones, but just pick a budget you're happy with; you can always upgrade in the future if you want. :)

really wouldn't touch the STX, just seems overpriced when you can get a fiio e10 and get a external volume control, no drivers to futz with, and it's easily portable/transportable.

The headphone depends on your use.

Are you Gaming, recording or listening to music or movies?

I was looking for an all-arround good set. Mainly gaiming and watching YouTube videos of "Yours Truly" ;)

I loved my hd595's, they are not the strongest headphone, so be reasonably gentle with them and they should last.

akg k701 would be good if you plan to buy a nice big powerful desktop amp.

akg k550 or shure srh840 if you're ok with a closed set.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac