Modern viruses and old versions of Windows

I have a trashy old laptop that I just started playing with yesterday after I found some older PC games at Value Village. This laptop is an old IBM ThinkPad - great in its day, nearly useless today. It's sporting a 500MHz Celeron (basically a cut-down variant of the Pentium III), 192MB of RAM (which is the unfortunate limit) a 6GB hard disk and Windows Millennium Edition. It works good, and Windows ME is actually rather usable on this machine because it's fully updated and the drivers are complete. It even has USB ports in it, with drivers that Windows ME actually likes. The only real downside to this machine is that it has some pretty nasty stress cracks on the bottom left corner of the screen bezel, something that's pretty much irreversible. 

What I'm wanting to know is how a modern virus/trojan/adware/other crapware would work on such an outdated version of Windows. Protecting this machine with antivirus software is not an easy task due to the low memory cap. I can connect it to the Internet through Ethernet, and browse basic websites decently on this machine.

Now, for a necessary Q and A:

Q: Why do you want to do this?

A: Because I'm bored, and think it's fun using old computers in a modern era. I'm that oddball that's fine with (and actually enjoys) using outdated hardware to do simple tasks.

Q: Why not install a new version of Windows?

A: Because I've installed many different versions of Windows on this machine and I simply don't feel like searching for the drivers.

Q: Why not use a new computer with a virtual machine?
A: Because the experience is not as authentic.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

hmmmmm not sure...you might still get infected with certain viruses, but play smart and everything will be ok.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I don't protect modern computers let alone my old ones. It's almost 100% safe since browsing the internet on that hardware would make you want to cut your eyes out anyway.

I have a windows 98 machine and with KernelEx you can get a usable version of Firefox running and even watch YouTube but it'll choke so hard, lol.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

Typical response but, Have you thought about trying Linux?

Af45Oba.gif

Sorry

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti