Ursa Mini vs Scarlet

I am been looking to get a 4k camera that can either do 4k pro res or 4k raw. With RED Weapon annouced I was hoping to buy a Scarlet used in the fall, but now looking at the Ursa Mini it looks amazing for the price. What do you guys think? Ursa Min or Scarlet?

I am been looking to get a 4k camera that can either do 4k pro res or 4k raw. With RED Weapon annouced I was hoping to buy a Scarlet used in the fall, but now looking at the Ursa Mini it looks amazing for the price. What do you guys think? Ursa Min or Scarlet?

The URSA mini looks seriously amazing, and is a pretty incredible price

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The URSA mini looks seriously amazing, and is a pretty incredible price

That is my thinking, I wonder if they have got adjustable compresion ratios like RED does. Because full cinema dng is a crap ton of data and would have to be re rendered to a more compressed format.

@KirbyTech I would, on paper, take the URSA mini. Though I suspect the RED would be a bit more "finished"

And yes, at least on the full sized URSA there is a "compressed RAW" setting that is about a 3rd the size of CinemaDNG.

@KirbyTech I would, on paper, take the URSA mini. Though I suspect the RED would be a bit more "finished"

And yes, at least on the full sized URSA there is a "compressed RAW" setting that is about a 3rd the size of CinemaDNG.

I looked for the Ursa Mini they have either no compression or 3:1, was hoping for REDs 7:1 and still great quality. Guess I'll wait for reviews, and then if I like it I'll rent it and try. No sense blowing 7500 

I looked for the Ursa Mini they have either no compression or 3:1, was hoping for REDs 7:1 and still great quality. Guess I'll wait for reviews, and then if I like it I'll rent it and try. No sense blowing 7500 

Oh yea rent first! I have my URSA to try next Tuesday. Am so apprehensive about spending that much money. There's also ProRes I guess, you can do a fair amount of colour work with it.

The RED has a lot more flexibility, but does need a bit more rigging, and RED Mags make me angry (CFast isn't much better, but a bit cheaper). So you can buy more storage space for your less compressed video :P

Oh yea rent first! I have my URSA to try next Tuesday. Am so apprehensive about spending that much money. There's also ProRes I guess, you can do a fair amount of colour work with it.

The RED has a lot more flexibility, but does need a bit more rigging, and RED Mags make me angry (CFast isn't much better, but a bit cheaper). So you can buy more storage space for your less compressed video :P

Why are you going with the current Ursa, why not the new one or the mini? Also yeah storage is a bitch, C fast makes me want to cry. The amount I want to get can buy a good dlsr.... I think the on site data thing is small compared to long term storage, I keep literally everything so I am always buying new dries. I think my next bulk buy will be of like 100 drives or something out of the Toronto port as wholesale. RED mags are easier to handle than buying c fast because atlead you have a fairly shock and tough storage, c fast not so much.

Rigging is something I already have as I tyipicaly rent a Dragon once every 6 weeks. So thankfully I don't have to worry about that costs. 

Why are you going with the current Ursa, why not the new one or the mini? Also yeah storage is a bitch, C fast makes me want to cry. The amount I want to get can buy a good dlsr.... I think the on site data thing is small compared to long term storage, I keep literally everything so I am always buying new dries. I think my next bulk buy will be of like 100 drives or something out of the Toronto port as wholesale. RED mags are easier to handle than buying c fast because atlead you have a fairly shock and tough storage, c fast not so much.

Rigging is something I already have as I tyipicaly rent a Dragon once every 6 weeks. So thankfully I don't have to worry about that costs. 

Oh if you have the RED infrastructure already, makes up for the price difference. Never really considered durability of storage, I just care about capacity, especially at 4K+ resolutions. I was really hoping the new URSA would have an SSD recorder.

I'm buying the 4K URSA because it has everything I need. The mini does not have everything I need (no framerates higher than 60) and the new URSA does more than what I need, plus it is a sensor upgrade, so if I need the 4.6K 120FPS, it's a relatively cheap upgrade. Plus mine is really only for personal use (though it will save me on C300 rental for commercial use).

Oh if you have the RED infrastructure already, makes up for the price difference. Never really considered durability of storage, I just care about capacity, especially at 4K+ resolutions. I was really hoping the new URSA would have an SSD recorder.

I'm buying the 4K URSA because it has everything I need. The mini does not have everything I need (no framerates higher than 60) and the new URSA does more than what I need, plus it is a sensor upgrade, so if I need the 4.6K 120FPS, it's a relatively cheap upgrade. Plus mine is really only for personal use (though it will save me on C300 rental for commercial use).

I only have the rigging for REDs, but with $500 can be used with any camera. really well. While I like the Usra, I just can't see buying the rigging needed. I have good rigging but it would not seem as good with the Ursa unless they cut down the weight alot. I might even would need to buy ned rigging pieces. I would love 120 fps or higher but man it is heavy.

I only have the rigging for REDs, but with $500 can be used with any camera. really well. While I like the Usra, I just can't see buying the rigging needed. I have good rigging but it would not seem as good with the Ursa unless they cut down the weight alot. I might even would need to buy ned rigging pieces. I would love 120 fps or higher but man it is heavy.

Weight doesn't factor into it for me (though there will be situations where I'm sure it's going to be an absolute cock) and since I already have the tripod it actually cuts down on my rigging, as all I need is a follow focus and a microphone, no cages and monitors and all that.

I will see after my trial on Tuesday whether it will do what I want it to.

Weight doesn't factor into it for me (though there will be situations where I'm sure it's going to be an absolute cock) and since I already have the tripod it actually cuts down on my rigging, as all I need is a follow focus and a microphone, no cages and monitors and all that.

I will see after my trial on Tuesday whether it will do what I want it to.

Let me know your thoughts once you try it out. Most of my work is done on tripod, slider and recently glide cam. 

I was told my company will have first priorities to try out the ursa mini  shipped to us :D, which means i get to play with it for 10 minutes, while not knowing how to work it :P

I was told my company will have first priorities to try out the ursa mini  shipped to us :D, which means i get to play with it for 10 minutes, while not knowing how to work it :P

You are very lucky :P

@Dredgy I know you said you were looking for higher FPS, the Ursa Mini can do 160 fps windowed hd

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/blackmagic-announces-lighter-ursa-mini-46k-sensor-15-stops-dynamic-range

Too low res, I need cropping room. Is why I like the URSA so much, you can increase the frame rate without sacrificing resolution. I prefer the 120FPS of the new sensor, so may still look at that, but 80 should be enough for me.