980 + G10 Memory Temps

Go to solution Solved by Joemoma,

i took the shim off, and modified the EVGA Thermal plate (sanded the points of contact interfering)
i have it at stock / Default self overlocking

ambient is around 75F (24C)

yes, pump is plugged into the Motherboard under 1 of the Chassis fan connectors

1 fan, in pull config, and its a Noctua NF-12 (for radiators) is spinnings around 1050 RPM

Replaced the rear exhaust fan location with the Radiator as an exhaust

So i've been hearing that the Kraken G10 does not provide enough Cooling for the Memory Chips on the Nvidia 980's once you have to remove the heatsink plate for the Water Cooler head to actually make contact with the GPU.   

So i was wonder what y'all thought about 2 possible solutions:

1) Cut the 2-4 standoffs so that the Cooler can make contact with the GPU but the Memory and other components are still in contact with the Heatsink plate

post-181224-0-14940000-1429022188.png

or

2) remove the Heatsink plate, and install 3rd party Memory Chip copper heatsinks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012

Personally I think go for option two. 

Option one seems more ideal, but much more difficult to do. 

Also, i'm not sure of those heat sinks would fit with a cooler on top at the same time. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

ya, option 1 gives me the quickest fix (i think anyway)

and option 2: i was just using those as a reference, i'm still looking for the ones i want

its the EVGA GTX 980 SC acx 2.0  (04g-p4-2983-kr)

and oh, this makes me feel a bit dumb, but i thought the VRM was the same as the memory.   i know a decent amount but not everything =/. 

its the EVGA GTX 980 SC acx 2.0  (04g-p4-2983-kr)

and oh, this makes me feel a bit dumb, but i thought the VRM was the same as the memory.   i know a decent amount but not everything =/. 

VRM = voltage regulation module: feed the GPU with power

VRAM = video random accsess momory: frame buffer

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

ah gotcha,  So would option 1 be viable? (without damaging anything)

ah gotcha,  So would option 1 be viable? (without damaging anything)

I think version 1 will cool the card better. But you will loose your warrenty for sure. And the card is new and quite expensive. So you migth (should) keep it.

When you remove the plate you schould add a liite heatsinks for the FET's as well. When you send me a picture of the card without the plate i can mark the FET's for you...

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

awesome, i'll just put the original cooler back on  untill i can get the heat sinks.  i'll get that picture to you whenever i get home today! tank you so much for the help

I can give you some advise, but you should really know what you are doing. Otherwise the chance to destroy the card is big. And do you have access to tools? Drill, file...

Because you wno't finde a cooler thats fits on the FET's perfectly.

i know a decent amount about everything, but with the Kraken G10 what would i be needing a drill and file for? its pretty straight forward. it just doesnt offer effective component cooling because of the lack of a Heatsink

i know a decent amount about everything, but with the Kraken G10 what would i be needing a drill and file for? its pretty straight forward. it just doesnt offer effective component cooling because of the lack of a Heatsink

You may have to customise the heatsink for the FET's / VRM a litte so it fits. You don't have to modify the G10.

I picked up some low profile heatsinks from Performance-PCs back when I was using a G10 on a GTX 770 -- before realizing the card had a heat spreader under the main cooler. So you can find them -- you'll want 5mm tall, maybe 6mm at the most. Heatsinks come in various sizes as well, so you should be able to find aluminum or copper heatsinks to cover what you need without having to modify anything, if you shop around a little.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

well when i get home from work i may just put everything back to stock untill i find a solution i'm comfortable with, return the G10 and wait the the Corsair HG10 to come out (it is designed with VRM cooling).  My main concerns about the Heatsinks on the FET's / VRM is if they ever fall off without me noticing.  

Or i may just bite the bullet and go with a full water block and do a custom loop. that way everything is covered and cooled.

But thank you all for the help and advice! it has helped me a lot

@JoeMama

Memory is not an issue with the G10, its the VRMs.

Here is what you should do:

Buy a copper shim and apply thermal paste to both sides of the shim.  This way you get to keep the mid-plate which helps to passively cool the VRAM and VRMs, and you don't have to void your warranty.

Scroll down to post #4 to see some real in-depth stuff.

A 20mm x 20mm x .8mm shim is what I used on my EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler.  If you really want, you can also purchase some thermal tape, and aluminum heatsinks to place on top of the mid-plate.  It only costs $10 and can give you some extra peace of mind.  I talk about it in my link above.

XZNou18.jpg

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i just tried Searching "A 20mm x 20mm x .8mm shim" but the copper plate does not show up.   Could you post a link through Amazon possilby please?

i just tried Searching "A 20mm x 20mm x .8mm shim" but the copper plate does not show up.   Could you post a link through Amazon possilby please?

Need to quote or "@" me so that I see you have replied.

This is the one I bought, but its from FrozenCPU, and they have had some difficulties recently, so let me try and find you a shim somewhere else first.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20763/thr-218/Pure_Copper_Thermal_Shim_-_20mm_x_20mm_x_08mm.html

Here is what I would buy:

http://www.amazon.com/20x20x-Copper-Thermal-LENOVO-COMPAQ/dp/B00H7CHH8W/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429060589&sr=1-8&keywords=copper+shim

Use the 20mm x 20mm x 1mm shim.

I know it ends up being $8 after shipping, which really sucks, but its not the end of the world. 

Ya know, let me contact this guy on the G10 Owner's Club, he recently made his own copper shims by hand, perfect size and everything because even 20mm doesn't perfectly cover the die.  Maybe he would be willing to make some for you for like $5 shipped. I just sent the guy a PM on OCN, lets see what he has to say, I will respond back as soon as I hear from him.

You might want a VGA to PWM adapter which allows you to plug the 92mm fan directly into your GPU, which frees up a mobo fan header.  Set it at or near 100% fan speed though.  Don't worry, it is not audible even at max speed.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman awesome, thank you. and no worries about the Mobo fan header. i have like 3 available because i use a Fan Controller for majority of my fans

@Faceman awesome, thank you. and no worries about the Mobo fan header. i have like 3 available because i use a Fan Controller for majority of my fans

Oh perfect, that saves you some coin. 

I'm excited to see your results!

@Faceman and i may just do the Plates from Amazon that way i get an array of thicknesses to see what is the best fit. 

and i had already set up the G10 with the water cooler with the EVGA thermal plate off (before realizing the VRM was now missing a heatsink without it!!) and the Thermals were awesome!  27C idle and it never got above 50C under benchmarks or intensive games (dying light, Far Cry 4)

@Faceman and i may just do the Plates from Amazon that way i get an array of thicknesses to see what is the best fit. 

and i had already set up the G10 with the water cooler with the EVGA thermal plate off (before realizing the VRM was now missing a heatsink without it!!) and the Thermals were awesome!  27C idle and it never got above 50C under benchmarks or intensive games (dying light, Far Cry 4)

Its going to be either the 1mm or 1.2mm.  If you don't already own some thermal paste, you will need some because it needs to be applied on both sides.  I highly recommend Gelid GC Extreme.  You will also want to spread it because the mounting pressure is not too much, so spread it out to ensure proper spread.

@Faceman so i finally got the Copper Shims (they were being shipped from Shanghai)  and installed everything. (used the 1.2mm).  i just did a Benchmark ("Furry E" GPU core burner) and my temps are still hitting 61-62C.  i just wanted to ask if this seemed acceptable or if i'm just being overly picky at this point?  (my main goal was to eliminate fan noise when the GPU is at load; mission accomplished!)

Is this a problem for all GTX980? I recently bought a MSI GTX980, and awaiting my Kraken G10 and X41. It says the kraken g10 will fit the 980, but is this wrong?

@Faceman so i finally got the Copper Shims (they were being shipped from Shanghai)  and installed everything. (used the 1.2mm).  i just did a Benchmark ("Furry E" GPU core burner) and my temps are still hitting 61-62C.  i just wanted to ask if this seemed acceptable or if i'm just being overly picky at this point?  (my main goal was to eliminate fan noise when the GPU is at load; mission accomplished!)

You ran Kombustor?  Don't ever run Kombustor/Furmark.

Those temps are very good, when in-game, you are probably much, much lower.