4K/UHD Gaming - Once and for all explained.

raendeu

Howdy Chaps.

I've decided to create this thread to ease your desire for knowledge of gaming in 4K/UHD.

There is also a video coming up, however at the moment I am moving houses, so it will probably be here around the weekend. If possible, please stick this thread up for visibility, if you find it useful off course. So, without further adieu, let's get to it.

Topics:

• Introduction
  • How close can I sit?
  • Scaling
  • Gaming
  • Summary Opinions

:

Thread will be updated with a video review and expanded upon soon with more sources and RAW footage on MEGA.

• Introduction

The basis on all my opinions and subjective points brought up in this thread is my own experience with 32" BenQ BL3201PT. (UHD 3860x2160p / 100% sRGB / AHVA)

I am running on Windows 8.1.

In terms of gaming, my PC is as follows:

----------------------------------

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£271.14 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£91.31 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£166.74 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£117.03 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£159.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card  (£533.58 @ More Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£75.37 @ CCL Computers) 
----------------------------------

I will try my best to answer all the questions that, well... I had, but there was no one there to properly answer them.

• How close can I sit?

Pretty close.

From my subjective measurement - you will stop seeing pixels at 30 centimeters away from the panel. [Yes. I actually measured it with a tape.]

However to properly enjoy it, (32") I'd recommend at least 80 cm, or 30 inches away from the monitor. At that size, you will move your head around from left to right, and it will be hard to focus on the beauty of the picture as a whole (Yes, Gaming.) - that this resolution has to offer. Everyone is different however, and you might be fine with it from 50 cm. It is once again, just my opinion that I will explain during the upcoming video.

It is a completely different issue with applications that to do not scale properly.

And since we're on topic,

• Scaling

It's a very known issue, and everyone who had any read on 4K knows that it exists. It is something that's there, and it will be, until a bunch of developers start writing their code better to accommodate higher resolutions.

However, the real question is - to what degree?

Non issue

Basic usage is completely fine.

Windows 8.1 does it's scaling job pretty well. Icons, fonts and folders are reasonably scaled, and it is not an issue at all to use the folders explorer, nor any basic applications included.

In terms of browsers, I have tried both the Opera Beta, and Chrome. We can include Internet Explorer as well, as I have used it to download one of the other browsers. As usual.

Text scales well and is both clear and easy to read (Unlike this thread. #meta).

In case the text is too small or too big, most of the webpages i visit (Reddit?) easily scale with only CTRL+Scroll on your mouse.

The amount of screen estate you get is stunning, and obviously is one of the pros. Helps with absorbing a lot of information.

Issues

*WILL BE EXPANDED.

• Editing software

I do not wish to make it one category that fits all, as there are many programs to put in those brackets, however from my knowledge - both Adobe products and Sony Vegas are not scaling at all.
    What that means, is that every pixel that User Interface takes, is rendered in 1:1 scale.

(Will be expanded upon in the Video review) To make it a bit easier to understand, here's a downscaled to 1080p from UHD, screenshot of Adobe Photoshop interface:

A6WXknVm.jpg

The icons are hilariously small, and it renders the program almost unusable. Depending on your determination off course.
    Just as a funny note, my mouse cursor is bigger than the icons themselves in Photoshop.

0Y6E3w2.jpg

• Steam and other In Game apps

First and foremost, I have to mention Origin. It is hilarious, how sitting one meter away from the panel, I had to come close to the monitor to see what was the progress of my game download.
    And just to take this out of the way, I only had it to test Battlefield 3 performance. Had to be mentioned, otherwise someone may think that this application actually does serve any different purpose than dropbox for EA Games.

Steam works fine, however in both cases the InGame interface is botched. 1:1 scale.

Other than that, there really isn't much to say at the moment. There's less scaling issues than it has been blown up over forums and websites.
In my opinion, it went completely out of proportion and is being copy-pasted by people who still stay strong with Windows 7.

However, before you go and buy your dream monitor after reading that sentence, I would like to remind you that It is a subjective opinion based on a 32 inch panel. The experience may, and most probably will - differ on panels that are 5 inches smaller. (27")

How much? That I am in no position to say, and can only ask for opinion of the people who are in possession of such panels.

• Gaming
    *WILL BE EXPANDED - GTA V IMPRESSIONS SOON.

The amount of pixels on the panel and their density along with the resolution displayed, eliminate the need for Anti-Aliasing.
That is basically how you can sum up 4K Gaming.

There is one basic myth that I have to take down straight away. And that is, that "No graphics card of current generation can properly run 4K". #ProbablyMeansUHDAnyway

My current setup that is listed in the introduction, gets 50-60*capped FPS in Metal Gear Solid : Ground Zeroes, (Very High/High) and ~80-120 in Battlefield 3. (Ultra)
I will obviously expand on it tommorow as the Grand Theft Auto V releases, as it is the most recent and expected title.

So, how to get high frames in 4K?

For starters - Disable anything related to AntiAliasing. The best way, would be to just completely override the setting from the Control Panel (Either Nvidia, or Catalyst for AMD.)
You don't need that anyway, and the performance hit over graphical improvement is as relatable as weapons skins on your K/D ratio.

Second, and the more important thing is making smart choices.
This is the difference between 29 and ~52 FPS on a scene. First screen with all settings on Very High, and the second one with lowered Occlusion and Lighting to High.
Is it worth the ~23 frames? That's up to you.

yFpEE0jl.jpg

TeptLDil.jpg

*Images downscaled to 1080p for easier visibility for majority of readers. RAW's will be uploaded to MEGA Filehosting pack to view.

- But, but. IT'S A COMPROMISE!

Well, off course it is. But so are TN panels with shitty color reproduction. 

It had to be mentioned, because every time I'm seeing a review with 30 FPS in 4K, i know that there probably are two settings to tweak that the reviewers didn't bother to talk about. And just to get it out of my system, I'm literally cringing every time there is a review of UHD resolution with Anti Aliasing on. It's illogical, unless you have a surplus of frames like above 60 in Battlefield series.

So do you actually see a difference in ~4ms GTG / 23ms total lag?

No, I do not.

I do not notice any difference at all, gameplay feels smooth - the reaction of my mouse to what's happening on the screen feels seamless.
However, I would not recommend this monitor for anyone that puts his K/D ratio over social interaction with people. If you expect gaming in 4K with high reaction times, that's stupid. For many reasons in fact, with a couple of them mentioned below,

I'm kind of a serious gamer and I want 4K/UHD. Should I go for it? Will it be okay for Fast Paced FPS'es?

As someone who was that person, 4K and Pro-Amateur gaming do not go hand-in-hand.  *Reminder - Subjective opinion.

I have much more details on the screen, which makes the game much more beautiful, however at the same time - the gamer in me sees that as clutter - that takes away the focus from scoring the points. It's making my ability to spot the enemy on that huge panel, resolution, and detail - worse.

If that's a priority for you, then 4K is not a resolution for you. You probably want 1080p or 2K as far as it goes, with 144Hz.

However, If you don't care THAT much, and instead see that as more of a challenge - then I'd say go for it. I would personally wait for 5ms IPS 4k panels and properly go through TFTCentral review before buying it -  so you can know exactly what the total lag is. (GTG lag [Panel] + Signal Processing lag)

If you just want to play, and still are good at it - Then these 20ms won't make a 200£ extra to spend worth it - AT ALL. In my case, if BenQ would release a 4K panel with 6ms total lag for 300£ extra - I wouldn't buy it.

Unless you play CS:GO competitively, then you won't notice. And if you do, and still want a 4K panel - Then the idea of having one is just conflicting with itself.

What about tearing?

I have only noticed it when my friend pointed it out.
Yes, it appears, and It is obviously there in certain moments of the game. (ex. Dropping down from a parachute in BF3, or doing it on purpose, by moving mouse ridiculously quick and simply looking for it.) 

However bad the tearing actually is - when you are in the middle of the action, you do not notice it AT ALL.
Funny enough, I have not noticed it in MGS:GZ either.

In my opinion, the reason being for that is the amount of detail on your screen. When your focus is on details on the screen as big as that, the tear appearing from time to time is simply subconsciously ignored.

Once again I have to bring up my disclaimer, that it is a subjective opinion on the matter, however with that resolution and the particular types of games I have played, I'd find the both Freesync ghosting and additional costs of G-Sync as a... hassle, really.

• Summary opinions

It was a brilliant choice.
Sure, 4K gaming is expensive. You need a beastly rig to run it, and a ridiculous budget for the panel itself. I was torn between 4K and 144Hz IPS, and to be honest - Now that I have that panel - I'm sure as hell I wouldn't go back to any other lower resolution.

Does it mean that you should buy 4K over 144Hz? Not at all.

It simply means, that you should reconsider your priorities. How often will you benefit from that higher refresh rate, and from the higher resolution? While on the other hand, and you prepared for the sacrifice that comes with the higher resolution, which in this case means badly scaled applications in some cases?

You can always compromise, by sitting a little bit closer. You will still be far from seeing individual pixels anyway.

It is definitely a revolution, and in spite of what everyone says - It is already here.

The GPU's can run it - most applications are scaling well, the panels are of brilliant quality and decent sizes.

I have probably missed on a lot of stuff, but I hope to add more stuff to the thread, and make a separate - factual part of it as well. I will also post a full review of actual 4K resolution usage, rather than just how monitor handles on its own.

Leave a post if you have any questions or you liked/disliked something about the post!

Cheers, MTBDEM / raendeu.

Maybe include some of the members who already do it for reference, so if there are questions they can get our opinions too :) I'm one, @othertomperson is another, can't remember everyone at the top of my head.

Nice rounding up of points, and you're right, it can't be stressed enough how pointless having AA on is.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks m8!

This will help people looking into uhd monitors!

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Let @Glenwing know. Thanks for the post.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I think that FreeSync is in its infancy, it's going to be awesome, and G-Sync is nice, but is it really worth an extra 30-50% of the cost of the monitor? I mean for the difference you could just get another GPU and smooth out the framerate by brute force.

Pretty much agree with the OP about 4K though. Scaling is not an issue apart from in Origin and Steam, which really need to sort their shit out. I wouldn't say that 30cm is far enough away for me to not be able to see the pixels at all, but they are small enough to not care about AA. The performance hit isn't worth the tiny difference, though I still see a small difference between nothing and 2x MSAA.

I'm more surprised a TitanX wasn't used or in SLI, but freesync while good is still a ways off.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Personally, I think the main benefit people forgets when recommends 1440p monitors is 1080p 'compatibility'. Sure 1080p looks crisp enough on a QHD display, but the interpolation is not the same for every monitor, and sometimes it's annoying. With UHD, let's say you just want to watch a youtube video, or a movie/series. Few content is 2160p, most of what's out there is 1080p, which will scale perfectly 1:4.

I think there should be a way, or a program to run a piece of software downscaled, yet be able to stretch it as you wish; this way if you need to be able to see those icons on the adobe software you can just 1080p' it.

Personally, I think the main benefit people forgets when recommends 1440p monitors is 1080p 'compatibility'. Sure 1080p looks crisp enough on a QHD display, but the interpolation is not the same for every monitor, and sometimes it's annoying. With UHD, let's say you just want to watch a youtube video, or a movie/series. Few content is 2160p, most of what's out there is 1080p, which will scale perfectly 1:4.

This is actually not true :) as explained in my mythbuster thread (number 8 ;))