What should I learn C++/C or Java

A few weeks ago I had never touched C# (or really any .Net languages) but I got different job by where I had to learn it. I must say that I love it. It is a nicer to use language than Java and it seems to have increased my development time. The only issue I may run into though is its lack of portability.

Really? That's good to hear. I mean when looking at things like Unity I can see that support for C# is growing quickly, and the availability of C# is coming to linux it seems. I am definitely hoping for a decent Java replacement as, while I do prefer developing with Java than C++ for example, it does have quirks of its own. I'll probably have to be teaching Java for the next few years though, so I'm probably going to have to go back and relearn that properly first =/

as a hobby

people suggested i should start with python

i wanted to learn a language that i could do pretty much anything with 

with ease

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

as a hobby

people suggested i should start with python

i wanted to learn a language that i could do pretty much anything with 

with ease

This was a good suggestion.

This was a good suggestion.

i guess ill start :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

learn c then if you are familiar on c language, move on to c++. much better to know the basic, coz c++ is based on c.

Really? That's good to hear. I mean when looking at things like Unity I can see that support for C# is growing quickly, and the availability of C# is coming to linux it seems. I am definitely hoping for a decent Java replacement as, while I do prefer developing with Java than C++ for example, it does have quirks of its own. I'll probably have to be teaching Java for the next few years though, so I'm probably going to have to go back and relearn that properly first =/

I am very new to it so I haven't really explored things like Unity and XNA and such, but it is all quite exciting. It was widely regarded as a language that would not last but it seems to making a resurgence and I like it. What do you mean teach? Are you a teacher then?

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

A teacher once told me that learning C++ first is like learning maths and starting with calculus, it is just a much harder experience. Learn the basics using an 'easy' language and then move onto something like C++. Python as was suggested a few posts above is the one I recommend to people.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

I am very new to it so I haven't really explored things like Unity and XNA and such, but it is all quite exciting. It was widely regarded as a language that would not last but it seems to making a resurgence and I like it. What do you mean teach? Are you a teacher then?

I'm starting my PhD this september and the only way to increase my earnings at the university is to take up teaching in programming classes for undergraduates, as apparently they're always in need of PhD students with strong programming skills. I just feel Java is going to be the initial language they choose. I'd imagine C++ as well but I'm not sure if they push Python as much as my university did with our degree.

A teacher once told me that learning C++ first is like learning maths and starting with calculus, it is just a much harder experience. Learn the basics using an 'easy' language and then move onto something like C++. Python as was suggested a few posts above is the one I recommend to people.

Absolutely. C++ is always going to be a standard programming language to know for core concepts and actual practice, but Python can really teach the higher-level aspects applicable to most imperative languages.

I'm starting my PhD this september and the only way to increase my earnings at the university is to take up teaching in programming classes for undergraduates, as apparently they're always in need of PhD students with strong programming skills. I just feel Java is going to be the initial language they choose. I'd imagine C++ as well but I'm not sure if they push Python as much as my university did with our degree.

Absolutely. C++ is always going to be a standard programming language to know for core concepts and actual practice, but Python can really teach the higher-level aspects applicable to most imperative languages.

Ah man that's awesome, I would love to do that one day. I am finishing up my masters and I may decide to go for my PHD one day, I hope i get an opportunity like that. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest you learn Java, I've been programming in Java for about three years and I've adjusted to the object-orientated concept quite well. There are many pre-programmed packages that will save time as you will not need to write the core code manually; you'd just need to utilize it. For example, there's the collection package which makes storing multiple elements simpler. If you decide to start Java, I recommend you take a look at one of the book or read the Java tutorials on the Oracle website.

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 GPU: GTX 660 Motherboard: MSI Z87M-Gaming RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4gb Black @1.6ghz Power supply: Corsair HX650 80 plus gold Storage: Adata 64GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350d

C++ all the way. I wish Java would die a quick death, it's slow and is constantly plagued by security flaws. It is popular though.

Whenever I get asked similar questions I always tell people to learn C++ or C# (if .NET interests you), a Basic Language such as VB.NET and Assembler. Most language syntaxes are either C or Basic derived, so it puts you in good standing to move to anything else in the future and there is nothing like assembler for understanding what is really happening behind the scenes.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

The only issue I may run into though is its lack of portability.

Take a look at mono :)

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

If you feel comfortable with the learning curve, C++ is the way to go.

Otherwise, Java is like a watered down version of C++

Intel 4770k   -   Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 16gb 1866mhz   -   Corsair Air 540   -   Gentle Typhoon AP45   -   Corsair ax1200i   -   Razer Death Adder 2013   -   Filco Majestouch 2   -   Crucial m4 256gb ssd   -   1TB Western Digital Black   -   Asus Maximus vi Formula   -   Bitspower matte black fittings   -   Black Ice sr1 240mm and 360mm Radiators   -   Swiftech mcp655   -   EK x-res pump top   -   Promochill Advanced lrt 3/8 5/8 bloodshed red tubing   -   swiftech apogee hd cpu block   -   Asus pb278q 1440p monitor   -   Razer Carcharas Headphones   -   Razer Vespula Hard Mouse Pad   -   Arctic Silver 5 TIM   -   Sapphire r9-290x   -   Ek-fc R9-290x Waterblock and Backplate