PC + Mac file transfers

pit5000

I use both PC and Mac and I'm a n00b with trying to make things work together...

PC is connected to network through ethernet and mac is connected through Wifi. I want to turn my PC into a giant dropbox for media and files. I watched several videos online and they dont seem to help. I can see the PC on my mac but I cant get permission to do anything even after I allow file sharing.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I'm not an expert on the matter,nor do I have the appropriate experience with apple's apples, but what I would do is:

Make sure they're connected in the same network (try a ping or something)
and then on your apple device look for something like "samba" to allow filesharing over a windows network

alternatively you could move Harddrives.
and when you're a cool dude like me you set up a custom web/fileserver...but maybe that's a tat too ambitious..

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I actually do this myself, so here's what I did.

On Windows 7 (haven't done this on Windows 8 yet, but the steps might be similar) :

Go to the properties of the folder/s you want to share (in my case, I share drives, so the same works here).

Go to the "Sharing" tab

Setup the Share

Go to "Advanced Sharing" in the same tab

Go to "Permissions"

Click "Add..."

Type in your User Name and click "Check Names". Your name should show up and you can add it.

Go back to "Permissions" and add the Permissions you wish to have on the Windows PC from the Mac.

On the Mac:

Go to System Preferences->Sharing->File Sharing

Enable File Sharing and go to Options

In Options, enable "Share Files and folders using SMB (Windows).

Navigate to Finder. If all went well, you should see your Windows PC listed under Shared in the sidebar.

Select your PC and click "Connect As..."

A dialogue box should appear. It will ask for a name and password. These are the same as your Windows PC User Name and Password.

From this point, you should be set to go. For me, I was not set. If it doesn't work automatically, read on:

On Windows again:

Open cmd.exe

Type 'ipconfig' without the commas and press Enter

Navigate to your network connection your PC is using and write down the IPv4 Address

Close cmd.exe, this is the information we needed.

On the Mac:

Click on "Finder"

Navigate to "Go" in the top bar

At the bottom of the drop-down list, select "Connect to Server" or shortcut command+K

Type in, without quotes, "smb://IPv4 Address here" where the IPv4 Address is the one we fetched from Windows.

A dialogue box should appear. It will ask for a name and password. These are the same as your Windows PC User Name and Password.

----------------------------

That's how I got my setup to work. I can easily drop and recover files from my Windows PC using my Mac and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

I use SMB on windows so I can file share with my mac.