Sufficient PSU for GTX 980

ThatGuysProject
Go to solution Solved by MrSuperb,

if you want to save 100$ you could get something like the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000.

9.7/10 from JonnyGURU.

So i have planning my build for a while and i just wanted a second opinion on my choice as well as some other PSU suggestions that may be cheaper. I am going to go with a Corsair AX1200I however it is a very pricey PSU but is an 80+ platinum efficiency PSU. This will be used to power 3 GTX 980s because of the Asus X99 Board limitations to SLI and another thing to bare in mind is that it will have to power a 5960X and 16GB Ram  

even 1000w will be overpowered ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

You can use pc part picker to calculate likely wattage, give me a minute

Edit:

According to this list you will be ok with a 1000 PSU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($372.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($196.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($545.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($545.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $3445.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-11 13:54 EDT-0400

Something like the EVGA Supernova should suffice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438036

The only thing is that I'm not considering you'll be adding a lot more to the rig, like for example custom water cooling. Even then it should be enough but you might want to reconsider if you do that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So i have planning my build for a while and i just wanted a second opinion on my choice as well as some other PSU suggestions that may be cheaper. I am going to go with a Corsair AX1200I however it is a very pricey PSU but is an 80+ platinum efficiency PSU. This will be used to power 3 GTX 980s because of the Asus X99 Board limitations to SLI and another thing to bare in mind is that it will have to power a 5960X and 16GB Ram  

do you really need a $1000 cpu? i mean go for it if you have the money and all but i guess with 3 980's itd be a bit of a benefit with its extra pcie lanes.

askdjfasdf

do you really need a $1000 cpu? i mean go for it if you have the money and all but i guess with 3 980's itd be a bit of a benefit with its extra pcie lanes.

its a expensive psu which is why i wanted suggestions 

its a expensive psu which is why i wanted suggestions 

im talking about your cpu not psu but in the pcpartpicker builder there will be a wattage use and you can go from there i say grab up a 1000 watt or greater psu from maybe seasonic or one of the corsair ax series psu's. just cuz its expensive doesnt mean its better.

askdjfasdf

What is this pc being used for ?

any high quality PSU rated 850 Watt and above should be sufficient to power a triple SLI 980 + X99 setup.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

if you want to save 100$ you could get something like the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000.

9.7/10 from JonnyGURU.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

850W is all you need, take a look at the 850G2 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xror if you  really want that extra headroom then the 1000G2 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g21000xr

"Rawr XD"