Belgian telenet modum

RobinS

hi there, with my internet provider you are stuck to the modem and router that they give you (http://tinyurl.com/belgianISPmodem its a modem,router solution that doesn't have the best wireless.). Is it possible to improve my wireless preformance by adding an high end wireless router? the modem and router are made to support fibernet (wich I'm paying for) but the wireless modem that is provided is instable and the preformance isn't that great (31 Mbps down and 3.68 Mbps up). can I add a high end wireless router to my home network? or should I add something like the ASUS EA-N66 Dual-Band Wireless-N900?

Quick update:

So I ordered the ASUS EA-N66 online and received it today. I've just set it up in my network and it works great. So the set up was really simple (with the easy setup guide from asus). My Wifi speed has increased a little bit (7-8 Mbps) and the signal strength is better, also the stability is great. I haven't got any problems yet but I will post another update within 2 days so all of you can have a better idea of the stability. 

@Theo
My network configuration:

Telenet router/modem ==> asus EA-N66 (this provides the wireless, so i've turned off the wireless of the mode/router)
                                    ==>1TB HDD (via the usb port on the modem/router)

==>wired network (connects to my XBOX and onther devices)

I really recommend to use the access point  ;)

Final update:

I haven't got any problems so far. I've set the original WiFi signal to on and hidden and configured the pc's that are connected to chose the best connection when available. ;) If there are still people with the same problem and have questions, you can pm me ;p .

Thanks everyone for the support and the great advice. 

Hi, I'm belgian too and I have telenet as well

you're up so late! it's like 1am in Belgian! (But I guess I am too :P)

The telenet routers/modems aren't that great, it takes hours for my portforward settings to apply!
Fun note: I recently called their support to indicate this problem (I was very nice to them) and the guy on the phone didn't know what portforwarding was...

it just so happens that telenet has 3 types of internet subscriptions: 30 mbps down / 60 mbps down / 120 mbps down....upspeed and downloadlimits vary...
Judging by your speeds it seems like you have a 30mbps connection. The general wifi speed carries up to: 11 , 54 and 300 mbps

• 802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
  • 802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
  • 802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

(copied this from: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless/f/wirelessspeed.htm)

The way I see it your acces point that is built in in the telenet router either limits to 54 or 300 mbps. so I think youur subsciption is what's causing the slow download speeds.
    I disabled the telenet wireless networking and used my own router/cables. (I have their 120 mbps down and 5 mbps up subsciption)

Also note the telenet offers "fibernet", but only by name, the speeds they offer are nowhere near fiber speed. they like to fool you!

(if you want faster internet in belgium you can have a look at snow http://snow.be/nl/extras/internet  they offer nice speeds at a low price, though I don't know if they offer good service or anything..)

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Actually there is also the new AC standard which supports upto 1300mbit/s.

And yes you could hook up an additional wireless router via ethernet to your existing one, which would improve home network speeds and stability but not your internet speeds.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Hi, I'm belgian too and I have telenet as well

you're up so late! it's like 1am in Belgian! (But I guess I am too :P)

The telenet routers/modems aren't that great, it takes hours for my portforward settings to apply!

Fun note: I recently called their support to indicate this problem (I was very nice to them) and the guy on the phone didn't know what portforwarding was...

it just so happens that telenet has 3 types of internet subscriptions: 30 mbps down / 60 mbps down / 120 mbps down....upspeed and downloadlimits vary...

Judging by your speeds it seems like you have a 30mbps connection. The general wifi speed carries up to: 11 , 54 and 300 mbps

• 802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
  • 802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
  • 802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

(copied this from: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless/f/wirelessspeed.htm)

The way I see it your acces point that is built in in the telenet router either limits to 54 or 300 mbps. so I think youur subsciption is what's causing the slow download speeds.

I disabled the telenet wireless networking and used my own router/cables. (I have their 120 mbps down and 5 mbps up subsciption)

Also note the telenet offers "fibernet", but only by name, the speeds they offer are nowhere near fiber speed. they like to fool you!

(if you want faster internet in belgium you can have a look at snow http://snow.be/nl/extras/internet  they offer nice speeds at a low price, though I don't know if they offer good service or anything..)

Wel you could be right about the ethernet speeds but it isn't listed on their site '-- (like usual). And you say that you have connected your own wireless router? How did you do it? from that little modem or from the existing router? The speed doesn't bother me that much but the stability does bother me. Its really annoying! ;p And that guy who doesn't know what portforwarding is, that is something that is happening more and more. They hire some guy who doesn't know nothing about networking or computers :p . (btw 1 Am isn't that late... xD )

Actually there is also the new AC standard which supports upto 1300mbit/s.

And yes you could hook up an additional wireless router via ethernet to your existing one, which would improve home network speeds and stability but not your internet speeds.

But i'm affraid that my other devices can't support the new AC standard. (I have 4 laptops, 2 gameconsoles and my TV connected to the wireless network.)

Wel you could be right about the ethernet speeds but it isn't listed on their site '-- (like usual). And you say that you have connected your own wireless router? How did you do it? from that little modem or from the existing router? The speed doesn't bother me that much but the stability does bother me. Its really annoying! ;p And that guy who doesn't know what portforwarding is, that is something that is happening more and more. They hire some guy who doesn't know nothing about networking or computers :P . (btw 1 Am isn't that late... xD )

Telenet's internet speeds are listed here: http://telenet.be/nl/internet/internet-60   sorry for the non dutch people...

I connected my own router (including switch and acces point) with a simple cat5E cable to the telenet router/modem and I connected the required devices to that router.

I have a 120mbps subsciption and I have a constant 120mbps when I do speedtest....my family doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth..

Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

But i'm affraid that my other devices can't support the new AC standard. (I have 4 laptops, 2 gameconsoles and my TV connected to the wireless network.)

Pretty much every AC Standard Router also supports the older slower standards like N/G/B/A, i just suggested it to make it a little more future proof for your newer or upcoming devices to support their full potential.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Telenet's internet speeds are listed here: http://telenet.be/nl/internet/internet-60   sorry for the non dutch people...

I connected my own router (including switch and acces point) with a simple cat5E cable to the telenet router/modem and I connected the required devices to that router.

I have a 120mbps subsciption and I have a constant 120mbps when I do speedtest....my family doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth..

wel thats the thing I find weird, or telenet has changed their subscriptions or there is something wrong with mine. I have unlimited download volume so that means that I have the 120 but my speed is +-50 so that indicate that I have the 60. I'ts confusing (btw I don't pay for the bill so I'm not really sure what kind of supscription I have xp)

But thanks for the configuration of your network, I will do the same but I'm not going to have a lot of wired connections. Maybe only for gaming an the tv. 

Bedankt!! :D

Pretty much every AC Standard Router also supports the older slower standards like N/G/B/A, i just suggested it to make it a little more future proof for your newer or upcoming devices to support their full potential.

Oh, then I'll buy a router that has the new standard. It will be much easier to upgrade everything after a couple years then. 

Thanks! ^^

wel thats the thing I find weird, or telenet has changed their subscriptions or there is something wrong with mine. I have unlimited download volume so that means that I have the 120 but my speed is +-50 so that indicate that I have the 60. I'ts confusing (btw I don't pay for the bill so I'm not really sure what kind of supscription I have xp)

But thanks for the configuration of your network, I will do the same but I'm not going to have a lot of wired connections. Maybe only for gaming an the tv. 

Bedankt!! :D

you could connect a computer directly to the telenet modem and do a speedtest to find out what your subscription offers you...

I hope it'll work out for you, if not I'd galdly discuss it with you over a skype call or something.

Chivalry isn't dead!

If you get a proper router, you could also setup your Modem in bridge mode and transfert all routing tasks to your new router.

Most of the time, routers do a much better job at this than modem-routers and you could see speed improvements. I'm just not sure it's doable with ISPs modems... 

EDIT: After some searching and translating (damn Dutch is hard !) it seems to be possible to use your modem as a bridge. Unfortunately, there's not many details about how to, or what are the offered possibilities. Worst case scenario, leave the modem/router as it is, and just put an Access Point behind it. Hope this helps.

If you get a proper router, you could also setup your Modem in bridge mode and transfert all routing tasks to your new router.

Most of the time, routers do a much better job at this than modem-routers and you could see speed improvements. I'm just not sure it's doable with ISPs modems... 

EDIT: After some searching and translating (damn Dutch is hard !) it seems to be possible to use your modem as a bridge. Unfortunately, there's not many details about how to, or what are the offered possibilities. Worst case scenario, leave the modem/router as it is, and just put an Access Point behind it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, I know that dutch is very hard for those whom doesn't speak it or aren't used to hear it :D

Yeah I heard about the bridging but the modem-router that they provided hasn't got a proper interface to change the settings. You need to use the site of telenet and the options they provide you are poorly and not really made for advanced users. But i'll look into it and I will post further updates of what I went for. 

Thanks again for the effort! ;p

Thanks for the response, I know that dutch is very hard for those whom doesn't speak it or aren't used to hear it :D

Yeah I heard about the bridging but the modem-router that they provided hasn't got a proper interface to change the settings. You need to use the site of telenet and the options they provide you are poorly and not really made for advanced users. But i'll look into it and I will post further updates of what I went for. 

Thanks again for the effort! ;p

Please post if you manage this, I've exactly the same problem with telenet, wifi is so bad! Also have the same router /modem thing

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Ok so I called a friend (a WiFi expert like no other) about an AP, and he says the best way to do this cheaply if the modem/router is working and just the WiFi sucks is to stick an AP right behind it. This one came recommended (the other ones were über-expensive Ciscos -_- )

Ok so I called a friend (a WiFi expert like no other) about an AP, and he says the best way to do this cheaply if the modem/router is working and just the WiFi sucks is to stick an AP right behind it. This one came recommended (the other ones were über-expensive Ciscos -_- )

nice, thanks!! :p i'll figure out if I can buy one locally ,otherwise i'll have to order one online. I also think that an AP would be the best solution. I also thought about buying the ASUS EA-N66 Dual-Band Wireless-N900. do you know witch one is better? (I guess the asus one but could be wrong ;p ) 

further updates will be posted! :D

Thank you! ;D 

Please post if you manage this, I've exactly the same problem with telenet, wifi is so bad! Also have the same router /modem thing

I will! :p and we aren't the only ones with that problem. There are many of us ^^

Quick update:

So I ordered the ASUS EA-N66 online and received it today. I've just set it up in my network and it works great. So the set up was really simple (with the easy setup guide from asus). My Wifi speed has increased a little bit (7-8 Mbps) and the signal strength is better, also the stability is great. I haven't got any problems yet but I will post another update within 2 days so all of you can have a better idea of the stability. 

@Theo

Telenet router/modem ==> asus EA-N66 (this provides the wireless, so i've turned off the wireless of the mode/router)

I really recommend to use the access point ;) 

Quick update:

@Theo

I really recommend to use the access point ;)

Interesting, thanks! If i have money to spare i might get an .ac router since my z87 deluxe has it. 

I wish there was a way to completely get away from the telenet router/modem but ive no idea what the cable that is connected to that is.

And you're only getting 7-8MBPS on wifi? Dont know what your strength is, but for me at 87% strength i get 60mbps on wifi, its just that it isnt really stable 

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Interesting, thanks! If i have money to spare i might get an .ac router since my z87 deluxe has it. 

I wish there was a way to completely get away from the telenet router/modem but ive no idea what the cable that is connected to that is.

And you're only getting 7-8MBPS on wifi? Dont know what your strength is, but for me at 87% strength i get 60mbps on wifi, its just that it isnt really stable 

the AP was €72 so that isn't to expensive ;) Now i get 37-38 Mbps before it was 28-30. And there is a way to get rid of the modem/router but you have to pay telenet to remove it (=€75 , if you do it yourself you can risk a fine -_- ) (the cable connected is an coax cable.) 

the AP was €72 so that isn't to expensive ;) Now i get 37-38 Mbps before it was 28-30. And there is a way to get rid of the modem/router but you have to pay telenet to remove it (=€75 , if you do it yourself you can risk a fine -_- ) (the cable connected is an coax cable.) 

LOL i'd need to pay telenet to remove their sh*t? Im pretty sure if someone sued them they'd win.

I find it completely unacceptable how if you have a problem, you need to call them, where they ask you the usual dumb stuff, so in the end the call lasts 15minutes and they charge you 20 euros for ( it happened to me ) And if they need to send a technician, you pay for it again. So basically you pay them to fix their stuff. GG

Thanks for the info!

LOL i'd need to pay telenet to remove their sh*t? Im pretty sure if someone sued them they'd win.

I find it completely unacceptable how if you have a problem, you need to call them, where they ask you the usual dumb stuff, so in the end the call lasts 15minutes and they charge you 20 euros for ( it happened to me ) And if they need to send a technician, you pay for it again. So basically you pay them to fix their stuff. GG

Thanks for the info!

Np, I think that its ridiculous too but its better than belgacom and the other isp's. ;p

Np, I think that its ridiculous too but its better than belgacom and the other isp's. ;p

True that, also another rant, i love how its "unlimited" but after 200GB they are like, you are now considered as a "grand consommateur", we are going to throttle the sh*t out of you.