Is DIY sleeving worth it?

ThatCarlosGuy

Hi. I'm wanting to get custom sleeving for my build after having the flat black cables from the corsair rm series.

My question is: Is it worth it doing it yourself vs buying premade cable sets? I don't mind the length of time it will take to do make them as I will just do it in my spare time, but what about cost? (including tools)

Cheers
Carl

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

For one build I would say no because you need tools, need to learn and may make some errors that fry your pc ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Premade sleeved extensions can be very high quality, most notably the Bitfenix and Silverstone ones. I've used bitfenix extensions in my build and they look very good. That said the extra length makes cable management that much harder. I believe Corsair makes sleeved modular cables for the RM series, but I don't think they have the nice paracord like the nice extensions do.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It was cheaper for me to have them done for me as opposed to doing it myself, but my time is expensive :P

Hi! If you are going to be making more than cables for your self, there is no need for all the tools. If you want to I can sell you pre crimped cables so you will only need a pin extractor and a lighter to melt the sleeve. You can also check out our handmade sleeved extension here: https://modguru.net/product-category/exten/Contact our livechat if you want instant response :)

Contact us for a quotation or a chat [Modguru shop] [Facebook] Creating the highest quality products ever

I believe it is always worth it to do something on your own.  At the very least you get an opportunity to learn something.  You have to start somewhere, so doing it on your own rig is a great place to start.  If you make mistakes they will only make you better at doing it the next time.

EDIT - Seriously guys never be afraid of "failing" or getting something wrong.  You have to do stuff to really learn what you're doing.  Most of the time that means doing it yourself.  You'll feel so empowered when you actually KNOW "Yeah, I can do that!".

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Hi. I'm wanting to get custom sleeving for my build after having the flat black cables from the corsair rm series.

My question is: Is it worth it doing it yourself vs buying premade cable sets? I don't mind the length of time it will take to do make them as I will just do it in my spare time, but what about cost? (including tools)

Cheers

Carl

I would say it's worth it if you plan to do a lot of custom cables or make your own cables, but the initial cost of tools is a bit steep if you only plan to sleeve one system. Only thing is be ready for sore fingers when sleeving, and take your time.

HELZ YEA IT IS.... ahem I mean it can be a great learning experience and some people find it to be a fun hobby. Yea the right tools can cost a little bit of money upfront but you will be glad you didn't cheap out on the tools.

Also like guru said there is allot of shops now that will sell custom pre-crimped wires our shop does as well (mainframecustom.com and I sell them personally to anyone getting into the hobby)

Also there is allot of shops that sell premium extensions made just for you, MFC gives a lifetime warranty on them as well.

But if you are on a tight budget there is lots of premade solutions just make sure to check out the pictures of them and read what people say and make your own decision on them.

If you need any other help please let me know.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

I wish I went DIY custom sleeved :( I bought a Corsair pre-made sleeved kit and the visible heatshrinks just kill the look of it... but not that bad, since I went with black/white color scheme, but still...