PC crash/freeze need help :( (Solved)

Go to solution Solved by Scarymonkeys,

That seems like a bit of a load for 500w also.

Hi guys, my relatively new pc has been running into some problems.

The computer will sometimes crash/freeze. When this happens there is no input from my keyboard or mouse, no BSOD, no error message, no shutdown and if audio is playing it will loop making a horrible noise.

These events don't seem to be following any pattern, sometimes they happen under load, sometimes if I'm just browsing the web.They've been happening fairly regularly maybe one every two days but sometimes more and sometimes less.

I don't know what could be causing these crashes so if one of you could give me a hand it would be great.

System specs-

i7 5820k (cooled by a hyper 212 EVO)

GTX 970 (windforce)

16gb ddr4 (crucial ballistix)

EVGA 500w PSU

due to the small power supply I haven't overclocked anything so everythings at base settings.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong place, I didn't know exactly where to put it.

update all drivers.

get a better PSU.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

That seems like a bit of a load for 500w also.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

Thanks guys I thought it might be that, I'll order a 750w straight away.

Thanks guys I thought it might be that, I'll order a 750w straight away.

i recommend an EVGA SuperNova G2 , they havve 750, 850, 1000 and 1200 watt models. They are realy efficient and reliable. If you have a little bit more money you could invest in a 850 or 1000 watt model, so you can add another gpu in the future.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

i recommend an EVGA SuperNova G2 , they havve 750, 850, 1000 and 1200 watt models. They are realy efficient and reliable. If you have a little bit more money you could invest in a 850 or 1000 watt model, so you can add another gpu in the future.

Yeah, that's a great PSU. 

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

thanks a lot, I'll definitely have a look.