How to export a video properly properley

Hey guys,

Well I have been working on a music video for a friend and I have just come to export. The last time I did a music video someone else sorted the exporting and uploading of the video as much internet connection at the time sucked balls!

Well I have just exported the 3 minute music video and it is 12.1GB... I am however using 1080p content here so I do expect that its going to be relatively big... But not that big!

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way of reducing the file size but not reducing the quality. I am currently uploading the 12.1GB version to Youtube while I find a way around uploading such a big file. It is currently saying its going to take: 1757 minutes to upload...

I am using Premiere Pro CS6

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@ShadowCaptain Any help?

What are your settings at the moment?

60fps and what bitrate and stuff

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Lower the bitrate!!

Youtube compresses the video down to 8mbps anyway! so no point uploading like 300mbps or anything stupidly high

I uploaded my last video at like 20mbps and honestly its almost no different to uploading it at 50, since youtube compresses it to fuck anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

? Is there a way of reducing the file size but not reducing the quality.

Yes open the uncompressed export in Handbrake set the level to Auto and the crf to 0

You will get a lossless compressed file which is much smaller (I hope YT supports h264 lossless)

Otherwise you could use a crf of ~19-15 which is a lossy but transparent.

What are your settings at the moment?

60fps and what bitrate and stuff

I am using a stage size of 1920x1080 25fps as I am shooting from my 5D MK II. I just chose the same settings as my camera...

The bitrate and quality were set to maximum. So I guess the bitrate was 300mbps?

Lower the bitrate!!

Youtube compresses the video down to 8mbps anyway! so no point uploading like 300mbps or anything stupidly high

I uploaded my last video at like 20mbps and honestly its almost no different to uploading it at 50, since youtube compresses it to fuck anyway

I am now exporting a version with Maximum render quality of 20mbps! Its saying that is going to be around 400mb's! I will check the difference in quality however...

Yes open the uncompressed export in Handbrake set the level to Auto and the crf to 0

You will get a lossless compressed file which is much smaller (I hope YT supports h264 lossless)

Otherwise you could use a crf of ~19-15 which is a lossy but transparent.

I am using Adobe Media Encoder... Which I didnt even realised I needed to use... :S

I dont really jump into film much now a days because I just dont have time for it. I am mostly a still's shooter however, I am getting ready to do more film work in the future so I am trying to learn as much as possible!

-snip-

See what ShadowCaptain said. YouTube compresses so much, 300mbps is not worth it.

20-30 mbps is the max you really need for YouTube.

Also, I don't do photography stuff much.. Why do you have it at 25fps?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I am using Adobe Media Encoder... Which I didnt even realised I needed to use... :S

But you could export uncompressed and use the high quality x264 which is included in Handbrake for the final compression.

SNIP

Its possible 20 is too low it depends on your source footage, its something you just have to play around with 

Also bear in mind, you might notice the difference in local playback - but once uploaded the difference will be negligible YouTube destroys quality

in fact sometimes its best upscalling footage to a 4k so that you can utilise a higher bitrate

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

See what ShadowCaptain said. YouTube compresses so much, 300mbps is not worth it.

20-30 mbps is the max you really need for YouTube.

Also, I don't do photography stuff much.. Why do you have it at 25fps?

The 5D MK II shoots at 25FPS so I just created the sequence with the same settings as the 5D...

But you could export uncompressed and use the high quality x264 which is included in Handbrake for the final compression.

The adobe exporter has the H264 encoding format on there. That is what I used. I also used the double render option too!

The video looks almost the same. I can only notice a little quality loss but that is viewing the 1080p video stretched on a 1440p monitor...

Its possible 20 is too low it depends on your source footage, its something you just have to play around with 

Also bear in mind, you might notice the difference in local playback - but once uploaded the difference will be negligible YouTube destroys quality

in fact sometimes its best upscalling footage to a 4k so that you can utilise a higher bitrate

Well 20 has come out quite nicely! Most people who view this video wont be opening it as large as I have however...

The local playback looked good, will just have to see how garbage it looks through Youtube.

Well 20 has come out quite nicely! Most people who view this video wont be opening it as large as I have however...

The local playback looked good, will just have to see how garbage it looks through Youtube.

yeah honestly I mean most DSLRs record at like 19-25 mbps AVCHD and look fine - the main reason to use a higher bitrate is for colour grading, once thats done you can render it down and upload it

If it looks shit  on youtube, upscale it to 1440p or 4k and upload it again - it will have a higher bitrate

1080p = 8mbps

1440p = 12mbps

4k = 25mbps

(approximately, cant remember the exact numbers here)

The adobe exporter has the H264 encoding format on there. That is what I used. I also used the double render option too!

H264 is just the format. The encoder is important, the cuda h264 for example is garbage while the x264 encoder is at least the 3rd best h264 encoder avaible.(Better are maybe the Ateme h264 and EyeIO h264, but they are extreme expensive and/or not available for consumer)

If the encoder is properly coded there is no quality benefit achievable by a 2nd pass as long as you don't need a specific file size. It's just a waste of time/quality.