Netlfix 4K

mvitkun

I can't believe that it's been well over a year since Netflix launched UHD/4K streaming and there's still no way to stream UHD/4K on PC.

Who thought it would be a good idea to lock down the UHD/4K streaming option to a small handful of TVs and Blu-ray players?

I can't think of one good reason for them to do this.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

well 4K streaming would murder my internett conection in two seconds flat.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

What seriously? You cant stream 4k to PC? No reason to get it then...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I think this is kind of BS, especially considering that most people with a 4K monitor will probably have more than powerful enough hardware and a good enough internet connection to handle 4K video. The only reason I can think why they would lock it down is that they want to charge manufacturers to have the 4K option on their prodicts r maybe they want everyone's experience to be good with netflix 4K  so they have locked it down to a few TVs / bluray players that can handle it.

You might be able to get 4k if you're using the win8 app, not sure though

Just cuz u said that, I re-downloaded the Win8 Netflix app, and no it didnt work :(

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Even youtube has problems delivering their own content

4k is not mainstream yet

even 1080p isn't that widely available.

it's about bandwith / structure required to deliver the content

4k stream required alot, if 1 stream need 5GB data to deliver within 10minutes they must have a server able to deliver 500MegaBytes a minutes to deliver it, 1gbps network can do that, now multiply it with 1000user, or 10% of netflix user.

even full HD won't be delivered seamless with merely 10mbps connection

again, your internet might capable to download triple mbps digit bandwith, but the problem is on their side, it takes time. They don't have google network even google it self still required 3rd party bandwith provider to deliver their content.

Just cuz u said that, I re-downloaded the Win8 Netflix app, and no it didnt work :(

But you do get better quality than the browser Netflix

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

becauase the average consumer doesnt have a computer hooked up to their 4k tv. 

simple as that. if it was the majority had pcs hooked up, then they would do that. the average person doesnt know you can hook up a computer to a tv. 

I have trouble with 4k videos on youtube, never mind netflix xD

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

netflix 4k is nice. bit grainy/noisey. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

@Blebekblebek

5GB per 10 min?

wut?

Netflix claims 7GB/hour for UHD.

That's 120MB/minute or 1.2GB/10minutes.

16Mb/s.

Netflix delivers 4K at a highly compressed bit-rate of 16Mb/s.

So forget triple digit internet, Netflix is barely using double digit internet.

Yes there are people who lack access to even 4Mb/s connections, but (according to the FCC) only 17% lack access to 25Mb/s internet in the U.S.

That means 83% of people can drive a Netflix 4K stream in addition to other content.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

my calculation is off, because I'm assuming regular 1080p video size is about 1-2GB for 60mnts duration, that's with good compression H264 codec.

it's actually required 25mb/s which translates to 3MB/s, for 15mnts eps that's about 2.7GB data (according to netflix it self)

again, with 1gbps connection assuming that server can actually pull that amount of data it only can serve 40people at the same time

here a good read for you and please read it well.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/01/dirty-little-secret-4k-streaming-content-owners-cant-afford-bandwidth-costs.html