Get Headphone Amplifiers/DAC or a sound card?

Pawin Chang
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Simplifying greatly, a soundcard is just a DAC chip on a PC add-on card. It does the same thing as an external DAC, except it goes inside your PC. As such soundcards are NOT recommended because the are vulnerable to EMI and possibly power fluctuations. Only get one if you need the software features or need to drive a surround speaker system.

If you can play music as loud as you want and are not hearing static, humming, buzzing, clicks, or pops coming from your headphones or speakers, then you probably don't need to go buy anything either way.

ok I am kinda new to this audio things so can you guys help me pick between DAC or a sound card.

I am using a high-end headphone for gaming and music.

What the difference between DAC and sound card? (except I know DAC is more portable and that sound card go into the pc.)

whats your current motherboard, it may not be worth it. a dac will just make it louder. 

whats your current motherboard, it may not be worth it. a dac will just make it louder. 

No an amp will make it louder a dac will make it sound better depending on his headphones.

No an amp will make it louder a dac will make it sound better depending on his headphones.

my mistake. dac just converts the 1 and  0s then right. hence the name...

ok I am kinda new to this audio things so can you guys help me pick between DAC or a sound card.

I am using a high-end headphone for gaming and music.

What the difference between DAC and sound card? (except I know DAC is more portable and that sound card go into the pc.)

might want to put a follow on your own post. and the questions above this posts.^^^

Either you're master race or you're not.

Simplifying greatly, a soundcard is just a DAC chip on a PC add-on card. It does the same thing as an external DAC, except it goes inside your PC. As such soundcards are NOT recommended because the are vulnerable to EMI and possibly power fluctuations. Only get one if you need the software features or need to drive a surround speaker system.

If you can play music as loud as you want and are not hearing static, humming, buzzing, clicks, or pops coming from your headphones or speakers, then you probably don't need to go buy anything either way.