CPU for Flight Sim 5960x vs. 5930k

I am building a computer for X Plane 10 flight simulator.  X Plane does not do SLI, so the best graphics card for this game appears to be the Titan X, since X Plane can't take advantage of two cards, it looks like I should go with the best single card.  Next I need to decide on CPU. 

In research and reading about X Plane, the game is very CPU intensive when it comes to frame rates.  X Plane uses OpenGL.  The programer says that it utilizes multiple cores TO A POINT, but then also considers RAM, GPU, and processing speed.  My understanding is that more cores are helpful if the simulation is running multiple tasks, such as two airplanes and weather (three cores - one for each plane and one for weather). 

So, my question is should I get the i7 5960x with 8 cores but only 3.0 Ghz or the i7 5930k with 6 cores but a higher 3.5Ghz?

Thank you!

I think X Plane benefits more from faster threads than more cores at this point--something like an oc'ed 4790k would probably be better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think you can go with the i7-5930K, way cheaper than i7-5960X. Actually i7-4790K is already enough, going to X99 is overkill unless you're doing a task that requires a hell of a CPU. Just overclock i7-4790K and you're in good shape.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I think X Plane benefits more from faster threads than more cores at this point--something like an oc'ed 4790k would probably be better.

Last time I used it the thing was still more speed happy than thread happy. Might've changed. 

What aobut the Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)?  Only 4 cores, but faster processing speed.  Am I thinking of this right?

What aobut the Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)?  Only 4 cores, but faster processing speed.  Am I thinking of this right?

You're very right!

Personally, I'm a fan of DCS and FSX.

They also have issues using more cores, and they prefer them GHz over number of cores.

If you're not using SLI, then you don't have anything to worry about going for a 4790k, instead of X99.

With the money you save, get the best AIO cooling, SSD's in Raid 0, Titan X, and you'll have much better FPS than running on the X99.

A 4790k, will probably OC higher that a 5930k or 5960x. And that is what will give you the best possible FPS.

If you want to be sure, look for X Plane benchmarks. Most likely you'll see the 4790k beating the X99 lineup.

If your going down the X99 route and your not going SLI, or plan to, why not go with the 5820k. Its the same as a 5930k but with less PCI lanes which as your not going SLI shouldnt impact you at all.

You're very right!

Personally, I'm a fan of DCS and FSX.

They also have issues using more cores, and they prefer them GHz over number of cores.

If you're not using SLI, then you don't have anything to worry about going for a 4790k, instead of X99.

With the money you save, get the best AIO cooling, SSD's in Raid 0, Titan X, and you'll have much better FPS than running on the X99.

A 4790k, will probably OC higher that a 5930k or 5960x. And that is what will give you the best possible FPS.

If you want to be sure, look for X Plane benchmarks. Most likely you'll see the 4790k beating the X99 lineup.

Having a quick look around X Plane does use lots of cores so an X99 6 Core would thrash a 4790k

I am building a computer for X Plane 10 flight simulator.  X Plane does not do SLI, so the best graphics card for this game appears to be the Titan X, since X Plane can't take advantage of two cards, it looks like I should go with the best single card.  Next I need to decide on CPU. 

In research and reading about X Plane, the game is very CPU intensive when it comes to frame rates.  X Plane uses OpenGL.  The programer says that it utilizes multiple cores TO A POINT, but then also considers RAM, GPU, and processing speed.  My understanding is that more cores are helpful if the simulation is running multiple tasks, such as two airplanes and weather (three cores - one for each plane and one for weather). 

So, my question is should I get the i7 5960x with 8 cores but only 3.0 Ghz or the i7 5930k with 6 cores but a higher 3.5Ghz?

Thank you!

Just think, im in the process of making a build specifically for flight / driving sim at the moment and we share the same concerns. I could run the X Plane demo and share my results as my build completes tomorrow.

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344688-build-log-rampaging-titan-build-updated-1-9th-april-2015-cpu-oc/

Build Log: 

Just think, im in the process of making a build specifically for flight / driving sim at the moment and we share the same concerns. I could run the X Plane demo and share my results as my build completes tomorrow.

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344688-build-log-rampaging-titan-build-updated-1-9th-april-2015-cpu-oc/

Build Log: 

That would be great, thank you!  Also, I looked at the i7-4960x and did some reasearch - it overclocks at 4.5Ghz to 4.75Ghz so it seems like that might be the best option (although costly, but my budget is $4,000+)  I have a 34 inch curved screen with 3440 x 1440 so I'm trying to get the best setup to work with that screen. 

By the way, I looked at you build and it's very very similar to what I'm trying to put together! 

Please share your results after the demo- looking forward to seeing it!

i7-4960x overclocking is best and performance too.

but its X79 which is outdated already since X99 is here

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

That would be great, thank you!  Also, I looked at the i7-4960x and did some reasearch - it overclocks at 4.5Ghz to 4.75Ghz so it seems like that might be the best option (although costly, but my budget is $4,000+)  I have a 34 inch curved screen with 3440 x 1440 so I'm trying to get the best setup to work with that screen. 

By the way, I looked at you build and it's very very similar to what I'm trying to put together! 

Please share your results after the demo- looking forward to seeing it!

Have not tested your specific game yet but the results I have got are outstanding. It is without question the way to go, my results are in my build log main post http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344688-build-log-rampaging-titan-update-4-benchmarks-gaming-conclusion/

The game use a grand total of ONE CPU core...so a pentium G3258 will run it just as good as the 5960X.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The game use a grand total of ONE CPU core...so a pentium G3258 will run it just as good as the 5960X.

Yeah I just discovered this whilst testing it out, Titan will be overkill. Here are my findings:

1yZXBCih.jpg

RtXbPKzh.jpg

On a plus note it was running at a happy 40-50 FPS with a 5930k

snip!

Yeah those flight sim games are built upon VERY old game engines, designed LONG BEFORE multi-core CPU's and powerful GPU's where even available...so they can't really make good use of that new modern strong hardware...as i said it's very likely that this game will run just as good on an overclocked dual core chip than it would on a 8 core beast...same for GPU...you won't be able to max out even a 660ti with such a game.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yeah those flight sim games are built upon VERY old game engines, designed LONG BEFORE multi-core CPU's and powerful GPU's where even available...so they can't really make good use of that new modern strong hardware...as i said it's very likely that this game will run just as good on an overclocked dual core chip than it would on a 8 core beast...same for GPU...you won't be able to max out even a 660ti with such a game.

Confirmed - Was running it with Titan X SLI and I couldn't put it on max settings, was like 9FPS