[HELP] Weird Internet drops

Blacer

Hey everyone,

So last wednesday I had following problem and today it returned (Wednesday a week later). To be honest I have no clue why this could happen.

Every 30-45 minutes my internet connection just drops for around 5 minutes for my tower PC wich is using LAN. During this "downtime" my WLAN for my Phone and my Laptop seems to work. LAN doesnt works for my Laptop during this "downtime" either as aspected.

The Funny thing is: Its not really a downtime. For example: watching a TwitchTV Stream and using the chat, using Skype oder playing League of Legends doesnt get effected. Like 50% of my connections are dropping but its not allowing me to create any new connections to all servers.

So I did some experiments.

Internet on: Watching stream ---> Internet drops: Stream and chat works

Internet on: doing nothing ---> Internet drops: cant get any connection to the TwitchTV server

(This was just an example)

So why do I get this "downtime"? Why are some connections still alive? Why are some connections shutting down? 

I would be so thankfull if anyone could help me out.

(I already tried things like: Resetting Router and also unpluging it from any power source)

Heya,

Hmm, it could possibly be a faulty router/hub. To me, I suspect it is dropping/blocking certain network protocols, some will still work but others don't. If you could get your hands on another router/hub and try the test again, and see if this resolves the problem.

Hope this helps,

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Okay, Im still wondering why there werent any problems the whole last week :s

Ill try to do that and I will also check for updates/new firmware.

Okay, Im still wondering why there werent any problems the whole last week

Probably a long shot, but I'm sure it has happened to someone, somewhere. Might of been working properly last week and suddenly "broke" this week, hehe  ^_^

I hope a different router/hub will fix your problem.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I will just stop using my Switch for a bit, maybe that will fix it :P

Also it could be a cable that has a broken wire and everytime it is moved it goes from touching to not touching. Along with a different router try new ethernet cables.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Are you using any QoS software (or an antivirus that has that functionality such as AVG), because that could cause issues like that.

HTTP/2 203

Also it could be a cable that has a broken wire and everytime it is moved it goes from touching to not touching. Along with a different router try new ethernet cables.

I just plugged in a new cable and will test it now.

Are you using any QoS software (or an antivirus that has that functionality such as AVG), because that could cause issues like that.

We do use VoiP and for my AntiVirus I use GData InternetSecurity 2014.

But I think if one of those would cause the problem then it should be a daily issue

You can try resetting the firmware. Or unplugging the router for 10 seconds, and plugging it back in.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch