Windows Server 2012, hosting websites and configuring

AnimeDudeJ

The other day i asked you guys for tips on HTML programing and web design. i just found out i wasnt suposed to make my groups' company website/store...

i'm still going to host it on my Windows server 2012 computer and i'd like some tips on how to go forward and doing that.

like configuring Server 2012 and how i should go on and host our website. i was using xampp but if i can use an alternative in Windows server 2012 that would be awesome!

any links to tutorials and maybe a book i can get on the subject would be awesome, thanks again for all your help!

just sayin i dont have access to my server atm as i dun goof'd during the hollidays and forgot to plug it back into my router

just sayin i dont have access to my server atm as i dun goof'd during the hollidays and forgot to plug it back into my router

windows server is crap user a form of linux much better! i love windows, but server is crap!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

like configuring Server 2012 and how i should go on and host our website. i was using xampp but if i can use an alternative in Windows server 2012 that would be awesome!

any links to tutorials and maybe a book i can get on the subject would be awesome, thanks again for all your help!

The Windows web server is called IIS and it's bundled but not enabled in all version of Windows Server. You turn it on in Add Roles section:

SbZGaHyl.png

BnfrQ2el.png

windows server is crap user a form of linux much better! i love windows, but server is crap!

Care to elaborate on why you think it's crap? In corporate alone (so not including dev/qa, or customer facing servers) we have over 2100 servers running some flavour of Windows Server... They're running everything from Active Directory (we have 87 domain controllers in corporate,) to DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, file servers, SCCM, Hyper-V, IIS, Tomcat, WSUS, Exchange, MS SMTP, Print Services, TeamCity. TFS, you name it... We run Linux too for stuff like Cacti, SVN/Git, Puppet, Postfix/Dovecot/Sendmail, Mailscanner, etc. 

I as an application administrator work with both regularly and both have strengths and weaknesses, it's unfair to call either "crap." It would be more accurate to call one or the other crap at doing some certain task but not overall.

Running a small PHP site or Wordpress blog? Sure, LAMP is fine but IIS can handle it as well and with the Microsoft Web Platform Utility you can install Wordpress in a couple clicks. Running an ASP.NET product like Sitfinity? You're going to need IIS/MSSQL. Running a Minecraft server? Linux. Running a DayZ server? Windows... etc etc.

If a person was shopping around for a VPS or dedicated server I would probably recommend Linux if there wasn't some need for an MS stack just because Linux hosting tends to be cheaper. OP already has the server though so this isn't about what stack to use, we should be helping him with what he has not deriding his choices which I know is hard for this forum which likes to answer questions like "I have Hyper-V with 6 VMs and I can't find the option to rename one of them" with "Install VirtualBox instead."

The Windows web server is called IIS and it's bundled but not enabled in all version of Windows Server. You turn it on in Add Roles section:

SbZGaHyl.png

BnfrQ2el.png

Care to elaborate on why you think it's crap? In corporate alone (so not including dev/qa, or customer facing servers) we have over 2100 servers running some flavour of Windows Server... They're running everything from Active Directory (we have 87 domain controllers in corporate,) to DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, file servers, SCCM, Hyper-V, IIS, Tomcat, WSUS, Exchange, MS SMTP, Print Services, TeamCity. TFS, you name it... We run Linux too for stuff like Cacti, SVN/Git, Puppet, Postfix/Dovecot/Sendmail, Mailscanner, etc. 

I as an application administrator work with both regularly and both have strengths and weaknesses, it's unfair to call either "crap." It would be more accurate to call one or the other crap at doing some certain task but not overall.

Running a small PHP site or Wordpress blog? Sure, LAMP is fine but IIS can handle it as well and with the Microsoft Web Platform Utility you can install Wordpress in a couple clicks. Running an ASP.NET product like Sitfinity? You're going to need IIS/MSSQL. Running a Minecraft server? Linux. Running a DayZ server? Windows... etc etc.

If a person was shopping around for a VPS or dedicated server I would probably recommend Linux if there wasn't some need for an MS stack just because Linux hosting tends to be cheaper. OP already has the server though so this isn't about what stack to use, we should be helping him with what he has not deriding his choices which I know is hard for this forum which likes to answer questions like "I have Hyper-V with 6 VMs and I can't find the option to rename one of them" with "Install VirtualBox instead."

i called windows server crap because i have used both, not to the size you do! but i found linux easier to achieve a result and less fiddling about! also i found linux less intensive!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

i called windows server crap because i have used both, not to the size you do! but i found linux easier to achieve a result and less fiddling about! also i found linux less intensive!

It's true that Windows Server has a bit more overhead than Linux  but it's not as bad as Windows Desktop. A low traffic Windows web server can easily get by with 2-4 GB of RAM and 1 CPU core. The main benefit of Windows for most people is they don't need to learn a new way of doing things. Linux is definitely better for general stability, uptime, and cost. In this case OP  will be fine with Windows Server if he had to go back and do it again I probably would have recomended Linux though especially since he's using XAMPP... If you're not going to use IIS/MSSQL might as well use Linux.

Just ignore James. "i love windows, but server is crap!" This tells us everything about your computer literacy, Windows Server orders of magnitude better then the client OS. 

Just ignore James. "i love windows, but server is crap!" This tells us everything about your computer literacy, Windows Server orders of magnitude better then the client OS. 

ya... the moment i read his reply i immediately disregarded his opinion... he stated no facts nor proper reasons why he disliked it.

@jameshumphries47 - i was given a Key from my teacher at school so i could work on it in conjunction with my groups project. i personally find it more user friendly but thats mostly because of my past experience with Linux and i've struggled with it so my bias is clear. i also admit that my technical knowlege is not sufficient enough to argue about what Server OS is better.

ya... the moment i read his reply i immediately disregarded his opinion... he stated no facts nor proper reasons why he disliked it.

@jameshumphries47 - i was given a Key from my teacher at school so i could work on it in conjunction with my groups project. i personally find it more user friendly but thats mostly because of my past experience with Linux and i've struggled with it so my bias is clear. i also admit that my technical knowlege is not sufficient enough to argue about what Server OS is better.

yeah i prefer linux as i find it easier and quicker to do more tasks! but i have sued both but i guess you just choose a favorite dont you!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Just my opinion i have worked with servers for the past 5 years! i prefer linux i find windows horrible to use for servers! 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}