Best way to start game developing?

Cactu

si i have always wanted to get into the world of game design but i never had the nessecary skills to do so. i tried unity for a while but knew no way to achieve my ambitions, which was basically a rainbow six seige clone (with functioning multiplayer) where every bullet is an entity and every thing destructible is as well to make for great bullet physics and destruction. im not very concerned about graphics or modelling atm, i would just like to see this idea come to life. so if anyone knows how to do this or where to start or in what engine it would be much appreciated.

check out some videos on youtube for basic level creation in something like source engine, cryo, or a more basic 2d engine.

That can help you to understand the super basics of what you need.

However, for what your dream is, you'll need most likely to build your own engine. At least, that's the most accurate way to get what you want. Games like battlefield, ArmA and even CoD all have "destructible" environments and entity based ammunition. Though the most advanced of them is the ArmA engine for bullet physics, and the Battlefield for destructible environments. But both engines have their draw backs. ArmA's engine has terrible rag-doll physics and is very prone to even the slightest dsync on multiplayer; And Battlefields' engine is especially prone to netcode problems. So if you wanted, you could start coding and creating in one of those engines, just know that truly custom games use their own engines most of the time.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Did Henry Ford build the space ship, no. Ford's sons built the early cars that popularized the automotive industry. Why did I start with that. Well you have to start small. You will have to do research on which engine to use for it. I'm not saying you can't make what you dream of, I'm just saying start by making a simple engine dynamics test level and just keep adding features too it. A few years ago I had a pretty cool level I made in UDK.

Unreal engine 4 is free now.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

However, for what your dream is, you'll need most likely to build your own engine. At least, that's the most accurate way to get what you want. Games like battlefield, ArmA and even CoD all have "destructible" environments and entity based ammunition. Though the most advanced of them is the ArmA engine for bullet physics, and the Battlefield for destructible environments. But both engines have their draw backs. ArmA's engine has terrible rag-doll physics and is very prone to even the slightest dsync on multiplayer; And Battlefields' engine is especially prone to netcode problems. So if you wanted, you could start coding and creating in one of those engines, just know that truly custom games use their own engines most of the time.

i........ have no idea how to make an engine

i........ have no idea how to make an engine

Which is exactly why i said start with another engine. But end-game comes and you want to make your dream? Then you gotta breed that perfect horse to carry you over the mountain.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Which is exactly why i said start with another engine. But end-game comes and you want to make your dream? Then you gotta breed that perfect horse to carry you over the mountain.

but if i make something in another engine, wont i have to completely remake it and relearn the tricks of the the new engine. and where would i get the extra knowledge to make an engine?

but if i make something in another engine, wont i have to completely remake it and relearn the tricks of the the new engine. and where would i get the extra knowledge to make an engine?

Building a game in one engine at least allows you to learn the ropes. You can figure out what you want. Now, you can't just hop in and start on your dream today, like other's have said. You should start with some super basic concept designs. Learn what you like, and what you don't. Then try making a dynamic environment to test all the features on. 

That dream you have is going to take a long time to get to, just put it in your back pocket and think about it later. 

But yes, if for some reason you started to make this dream game of yours on one engine, then wanted to move to another it could be very troublesome. 

Building a game in one engine at least allows you to learn the ropes. You can figure out what you want. Now, you can't just hop in and start on your dream today, like other's have said. You should start with some super basic concept designs. Learn what you like, and what you don't. Then try making a dynamic environment to test all the features on. 

That dream you have is going to take a long time to get to, just put it in your back pocket and think about it later. 

But yes, if for some reason you started to make this dream game of yours on one engine, then wanted to move to another it could be very troublesome. 

what do you reccomend as a starting engine?

edit: how would i get a hold of something like frostbite or arma's engine

what do you reccomend as a starting engine?

edit: how would i get a hold of something like frostbite or arma's engine

The easiest way to get started is on something like unreal development kit, or source engine 1/2. Arma's engine is a closed source project, with an in-game engine creator accessible through the main menu, and frostbite i honestly don't know enough about to tell you. 

Unreal is very similar to frostbite, and Source engine is most likely the simplest.

check out some videos on youtube for basic level creation in something like source engine, cryo, or a more basic 2d engine.

That can help you to understand the super basics of what you need.

I would not recommend doing this. These engines have been made by professionals with degrees in CS/Physics etc and it took them years to perfect the engine to then start developing a game on. Based on the fact you have no knowledge or skills in this field, it would take you a long, long time before you even wrote a single line of code for your game. Learn C++ and start on an Engine like cry engine (or any other engine that supports your needs). I know for a fact that you can create destructible environments in cry engine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "truly custom games use their own engines most of the time" because that makes no sense. A LOT of games use pre-made engines. Engines no a days allow customizations in the form of the source code or plugins, so you can make a "truly customizable game" in any engine.

@thefatshizms @Atmos so unreal or cryengine because i am not sure both look good but cryengine........ subscription.......money.......meh

Cry engine has a free SDK which will do all you want and more. It's really personal preference and what target audience you want.

@thefatshizms @Atmos so unreal or cryengine because i am not sure both look good but cryengine........ subscription.......money.......meh

Unreal engine ferser if you like visuals.

Unreal engine ferser if you like visuals.

ok, also thank you atmos, not just for this thread but you have given very in depth responses on many of my forum topics and you are one of the many amazing people on this forum. so thank you for your help and generosity

ok, also thank you atmos, not just for this thread but you have given very in depth responses on many of my forum topics and you are one of the many amazing people on this forum. so thank you for your help and generosity

Well I'm majoring in game development now actually so it's something that I tend to know a good deal about. And thanks mate, I try my best to help those whom I can.

If you are just starting out, I recommend using an existing game engine. Unity is really awesome, and has tons of tutorials. Something like a game maker is also pretty easy to learn.

Now one of the most important things when you are starting, is to start small. You are not going to make the next Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. Start simple, think simple like a platformer with 1 or 2 levels, or a really basic version of the original zelda. Just clone those super old arcade or console games, those are usually pretty simple.

Extra credits did a great series on making your first game: