Better CPU cooling options

Go to solution Solved by chamath,

-No overclocking, stock cooler is more than enough

-Normal overclocking, after market air coolers (CM hyper 212 etc.)

-Hardcore overclocking, liquid coolers

If you want more details, linus tech tips has a video regarding this

Hi, I need some better CPU cooling options, the fan that comes with the processor I bought is okay but I need some pretty good that's air/gas cooling based and better 

Hi, I need some better CPU cooling options, the fan that comes with the processor I bought is okay but I need some pretty good that's air/gas cooling based and better 

budget?

gas cooling? lol that sounds dangerous...

how much are you looking to spend?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

212 evo or H100i

That's liquid, get out 

212 evo or H100i

EVO is an overrated cooler, and if OP's on LGA 115x, he may have mounting issues with H100i.

If you're on the cheap, the be quiet! Pure Rock and Shadow Rock 2 are fantastic.

If you can spend a fair bit and have a case that supports it, the Kraken X61, H110 GT, H100i GTX or Cryorig R1 Ultimate will do very nicely.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

gas cooling? lol that sounds dangerous...

how much are you looking to spend?

solid liquid gas/ water - liquid, air - gas / scientific terms cmmon people 

EVO is an overrated cooler, and if OP's on LGA 115x, he may have mounting issues with H100i.

If you're on the cheap, the be quiet! Pure Rock and Shadow Rock 2 are fantastic.

If you can spend a fair bit and have a case that supports it, the Kraken X61, H110 GT, H100i GTX or Cryorig R1 Ultimate will do very nicely.

Does corsair have non liquid based cooling for cpus? Do they have air cooling for cpus? 

solid liquid gas/ water - liquid, air - gas / scientific terms cmmon people 

never heard someone refer to air cooling as "gas" cooling...

by gas I thought phase change cooling which compresses a special gas

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Does corsair have non liquid based cooling for cpus? Do they have air cooling for cpus? 

They have the A70, but it's hard to find and expensive. I wouldn't be dead set on Corsair as a brand, lately they've been slipping.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They have the A70, but it's hard to find and expensive. I wouldn't be dead set on Corsair as a brand, lately they've been slipping.

oh okay so it came with a heatsink 

Noctua?

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

That's liquid, get out 

What have you got against liquid? your only option that I know of is a phase change cooler but that's gonna cost a bit for pretty much nothing compared to liquid

It would help to list your specs, where you're shopping/located, and budget.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What have you got against liquid? your only option that I know of is a phase change cooler but that's gonna cost a bit for pretty much nothing compared to liquid

THIS THREAD IS UNDER AIR/GAS COOLING NOT LIQUID. JESUS CHRIST. 

It would help to list your specs, where you're shopping/located, and budget.

no budget, price doesn't matter, cooling for an intel i7 4790k 

no budget, price doesn't matter, cooling for an intel i7 4790k 

Where are you shopping/located? Are there any clearance restrictions for the cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Where are you shopping/located? Are there any clearance restrictions for the cooler?

I don't think you can read well 

I use the prolimatech megahalems and it works well for me. You can install an extra fan for push/pull config to improve cooling even further but a single fan keeps my socket 1155 i7 3770k cool when o/c to 4.5 and above.

THIS THREAD IS UNDER AIR/GAS COOLING NOT LIQUID. JESUS CHRIST. 

If you want advice or suggestions I would suggest you stop being such a prick

I don't think you can read well 

There's no mention of a computer case nor location--does that mean you're not using one and can use any shop on Earth?

If you want advice or suggestions I would suggest you stop being such a prick

Look it's not my fault half of you can't even read right 

-No overclocking, stock cooler is more than enough

-Normal overclocking, after market air coolers (CM hyper 212 etc.)

-Hardcore overclocking, liquid coolers

If you want more details, linus tech tips has a video regarding this

Look it's not my fault half of you can't even read right 

Are you here to troll or do you genuinely need advice? 

Are you here to troll or do you genuinely need advice? 

Depends on if you can even read unlike the majority of these other people