Don't Throw Away Old CPUs! I'm Collecting!

Update #7

Hey all, its been quite a while since we have had an update of the CPU collection! But today is special, as I have received a package all the way from Switzerland! Today i received  three Core 2 Duo chips, that are in amazing shape, as well as an Intel Pentium M 725 chip. I was also happy to see an AMD Athlon 64 as well as an Opteron from the red team.All of the chips are in amazing shape and were amazingly well packaged! Thanks so much to @SkyFall (I think) for the contribution again! Its so nice to have the help, this collection is really turning into something amazing!

The Core 2 Duos are amazing chips, and the Intel Pentium is a nice one for sure, but i'm super excited for the AMD chips this time. For some reason they are interesting for me. They are different as most of what i have is Intel, so its nice to have a bit of a change!

As far as the mounting goes, I have actually run into kind of a snag... I have no real secure way to actually attach the processors to the board back-plate that I would like to mount all of the processors to. I'm currently looking into some solutions, but as of right now the mounting and displaying is on hold. For now they are living on my desk waiting to be displayed! The brass nameplates look amazing! pictures of them will be coming as soon as I get them back from the fabrication shop.

And again, I would just like to extend a HUGE thank you to the community of LTT. This collection is truly something amazing, and the involvement and interest has been unreal. So thanks! Here's to more in the future!

post-196676-0-69477800-1453796169.jpg

post-196676-0-80065200-1453796170.jpg

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

Hey.. I can send you a CPU too.. Not sure what it is though.. Not in a working condition and the heatsink is stuck to it. If you can tell me how to remove the heatsink i'll let it fly your way.

4a84cbb7c0af91237e408a2461d47606.jpg

38c0504d93b098161d650749c0a5e54b.jpg

Good little collection of CPUs :D I remember seeing this thread a while back and my first reaction was "Yea people are going to assume your begging" although I know that is not true some people might assume that. Looks like I was wrong :P Get some use out of those suckers and make sure if (and even if you don't) overclock them and put the Cinebench score in the Post your Cinebench score thread :D Overclocking those Core 2 chips can be a blast.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Hey.. I can send you a CPU too.. Not sure what it is though.. Not in a working condition and the heatsink is stuck to it. If you can tell me how to remove the heatsink i'll let it fly your way.

-snip-

You should be able to remove it with a thin knife (box cutter / stanley knife) and then you can remove the thermal paste from your cpu with isopropyle or similar.

If you are interested in shipping from germany,i 've got an e6800 (i think) and it should even work :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If you are interested in shipping from germany,i 've got an e6800 (i think) and it should even work :P

haha shipping from Germany would be quite expensive unfortunately, but thanks for the interest!

Someone delete this

Umm why?

Good little collection of CPUs :D I remember seeing this thread a while back and my first reaction was "Yea people are going to assume your begging" although I know that is not true some people might assume that. Looks like I was wrong :P Get some use out of those suckers and make sure if (and even if you don't) overclock them and put the Cinebench score in the Post your Cinebench score thread :D Overclocking those Core 2 chips can be a blast.

Thanks! and yeah, i hope it doesn't come across as begging. I just wanna put together a collection of processors from the LTT community, to see what we can achieve as a community, and to put all of our resources together! and yes, I will "hopefully" be getting some boards and memory and stuff to put together a little test bench for these processors, but as of right now, i'm just waiting for the money side of things. I want to buy new parts for everything, that way i can get the most accurate overclock possible. But it is something i'm interested in for sure!

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

haha shipping from Germany would be quite expensive unfortunately, but thanks for the interest!

Umm why?

Thanks! and yeah, i hope it doesn't come across as begging. I just wanna put together a collection of processors from the LTT community, to see what we can achieve as a community, and to put all of our resources together! and yes, I will "hopefully" be getting some boards and memory and stuff to put together a little test bench for these processors, but as of right now, i'm just waiting for the money side of things. I want to buy new parts for everything, that way i can get the most accurate overclock possible. But it is something i'm interested in for sure!

No ya some people might twist what you were originally asking a different way, I see it all the time. I see it as giving old chips some more life/use, and if people don't want them and send them to you then why the heck not :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I recently bought 13 Xeons, so after testing them out if any don't work you can gladly have them if they're any good to you. I might have an old Athalon x64 with bent pins knocking around somewhere as well.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

I recently bought 13 Xeons, so after testing them out if any don't work you can gladly have them if they're any good to you. I might have an old Athalon x64 with bent pins knocking around somewhere as well.

I actually am currently looking for some xeons! I would love to have them if they are available! Message me and we can talk about details!

No ya some people might twist what you were originally asking a different way, I see it all the time. I see it as giving old chips some more life/use, and if people don't want them and send them to you then why the heck not :D

Exactly! but i do see what you were saying before, i can see how it can be seen badly, for sure

I have an extremely old AMD Opteron single-core that I don't care about, in fact it has a few bent pins and a stain on the bottom (I don't know where the stain came from.) I don't even know what socket it is (probably AM1.) It's late, I'm posting this so I don't forget, if you want more info PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow. I think it'd be cool to contribute. 

I used to be quite active here.

I actually am currently looking for some xeons! I would love to have them if they are available! Message me and we can talk about details!

Like I said once I've tested them, any that don't work you can have :)

Here's a ready made collection of 134 CPU's for sale :Phttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134-x-Core-2-Duo-Dual-Core-LGA775-i5-650-Xeon-CPUs-/201504599755?hash=item2eea9c2ecb:g:f9wAAOxy7nNTRnJb

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

-snip-

I'm from Switzerland and I paid about 7$ for shipping 6 CPUs in a cushioned enveloppe.

So I don't think that it's more expensive in the north, @FloRolf ;-)

Yikes, it's too bad I chucked my old computer junk collection a long time ago.. I had various 486, pentium, cyrix, amd k6, k6-2, a pile of celerons from the days when you could pencil mod them to turn them back into p3's, athlons, thunderbirds.. But I'm married now.. If it was up to the wife she'd chuck the computer I use right now  :D

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I have an extremely old AMD Opteron single-core that I don't care about, in fact it has a few bent pins and a stain on the bottom (I don't know where the stain came from.) I don't even know what socket it is (probably AM1.) It's late, I'm posting this so I don't forget, if you want more info PM me and I'll get back to you tomorrow. I think it'd be cool to contribute. 

Yeah ill shoot you a PM for sure! Im off to work right now, so ill have to catch you when i get back, but yeha, for sure!

Yikes, it's too bad I chucked my old computer junk collection a long time ago.. I had various 486, pentium, cyrix, amd k6, k6-2, a pile of celerons from the days when you could pencil mod them to turn them back into p3's, athlons, thunderbirds.. But I'm married now.. If it was up to the wife she'd chuck the computer I use right now  :D

haha yeah i know how that goes. My GF isnt a fan of the amount of money i spend on computer stuff either xD oh well, 

Yeah ill shoot you a PM for sure! Im off to work right now, so ill have to catch you when i get back, but yeha, for sure!

haha yeah i know how that goes. My GF isnt a fan of the amount of money i spend on computer stuff either xD oh well, 

how many do you have?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

how many do you have?

Right now im running two desktops and a laptop.. as well as all of the random gear i have.. is gettin kinda outta hand. I have around 30 to 40 processors at the moment.. and she hasnt said anything yet about them.. so hopefully.. fingers crossed!

Right now im running two desktops and a laptop.. as well as all of the random gear i have.. is gettin kinda outta hand. I have around 30 to 40 processors at the moment.. and she hasnt said anything yet about them.. so hopefully.. fingers crossed!

157 and counting here. excluding cpus in systems

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I have 4 extra CPUs laying around you can have if you want them.

A 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 single core (pinned)

A 2.4Ghz Pentium Dual-Core E2220 (not pinned)

A 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo E6850 (not pinned)

And an Athlon 64 x2 5600+ 2.8Ghz (pinned)

If you want any or all of them pm me.

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling

• 1 year later...

Update #8

4/19/2017

Holy cow this is an old thing to come back to. I guess I should give a bit of an explanation on the status of this project, and what exactly has been happening. So very recently I moved to the Seattle area and have picked up a new job and place and so alot of my life has been taken up with life. I recently found all of my old CPU gear and reminded myself of this project. So to start, i just want to apologize to everyone who sent me chips, and then i kinda disappeared. I promise i still know who you are, and i'm still very very grateful, and back at it!

I got very very excited about the project again, and have been loving actually getting back into the process. I've managed to get all of my processors together as well as building a spreadsheet for everyone that has been generous enough to send one over to me. Now that I am living in the city I have much better internet and so I have been able to really do alot more work on the project and able to do more research on each chip.

I guess all of this is to say that I am so sorry that I've been absent from the project recently, and I am very excited to be in a place in life that allows me to do more work with the project! Expect alot more updates more frequently, as I now have more access to ALOT more processors every day. I have also come up with a new way of displaying the chips themselves. I came across another collection online, and I had an idea. I think what I want to do is use a Scrabble tile holder that has a few rows to display each family of processor. If i can collect enough, it could look really really cool, to see the progression over the years for each chip. It will be much easier to display then the mounting them flat on a board, and way easier to keep clean and nice.

With all that being said, I still need ALOT of help to collect alot of chips. I'm pretty much to a point now where I am accepting all processors regardless of quality. Even if its broken, I want it! Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any laying around and we can talk about details. I am very very excited to revive this project (even tho the post is Sooo old, sorry :P ) I am very excited to really finally get all of these displayed and set up in my new place. Pictures of the collection as it stands now are found below for your viewing pleasure :) I have a new roommate now who has a really really good camera, and i'm working on getting some really cool glamour shots of some of them, and hopefully will have that up soon. But for now, i'm just glad to be back to this project!

20170419_043629.thumb.jpg.725d7dcbb7394030d050f7462668d932.jpg20170419_043644.thumb.jpg.f6718c83045b662f5bd95623e8125cb1.jpg20170419_043655.thumb.jpg.327eef7acf9aa694c0d9f9daeafcbc54.jpg

Woah I can't believe this :o 

I don't want my CPU to die though :P 

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Just now, DimasRMDO said:

Woah I can't believe this :o 

I don't want my CPU to die though :P 

haha this has been a project for almost 2 years now, i encourage you to read through the entire journey and the updates. there is alot here! Its a truly amazing journey!

1 minute ago, Tithonius said:

haha this has been a project for almost 2 years now, i encourage you to read through the entire journey and the updates. there is alot here! Its a truly amazing journey!

I've been to this thread before :P 

Aah 2015 9_9 I can't believe it's 2017....

Yeah it's going to be a long journey, keep it up :D

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Just now, DimasRMDO said:

I've been to this thread before :P 

Aah 2015 9_9 I can't believe it's 2017....

Yeah it's going to be a long journey, keep it up :D

Yeah real life really kinda got in the way for a long time, but i'm back to it, and am very excited to see where this can go now that i'm at a different stage in life!