is this Motherboards on board Audio good enough to not need an External DAC/AMP for these headphones?

Corruption

Would this motherboard be good enough to not have an external DAC and amp if the headphones I'm going to be using are the HD558 And HD600?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4952#ov

Don't see why not, it won't get as loud as if you had an amp, but that mobo shouldn't struggle that much with 300 ohm headphones.

"Rawr XD"

@Corruption

Usually, an external DAC/Amp gives an noticeable difference from your motherboard's onboard DAC, always is better. If you have one already, I'd hook it up right away. If you're thinking of purchasing one, then I suggest that you give a listen to the onboard audio, and then make a decision if it could be better with a DAC.

Hope this helps :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

@Corruption

Usually, an external DAC/Amp gives an noticeable difference from your motherboard's onboard DAC, always is better. If you have one already, I'd hook it up right away. If you're thinking of purchasing one, then I suggest that you give a listen to the onboard audio, and then make a decision if it could be better with a DAC.

Disagree, usualy a dac/amp is not that noticable.

Just wasted money.

Depending on headphones, and onboard

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@Corruption

As noted, the difference is generally not significant. The main issue is if the integrated amp doesn't get loud enough with some heapdhones.

As noted, the difference is generally not significant. The main issue is if the integrated amp doesn't get loud enough with some heapdhones.

Well my friend lent me his DAC to see if it would help with my mobo. I personally found (though it is subjective) that audio was just warmer and more realistic, and there was a little bit of humming and buzzing when my PC was working hard that I did not notice with the DAC on.

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Well my friend lent me his DAC to see if it would help with my mobo. I personally found (though it is subjective) that audio was just warmer and more realistic, and there was a little bit of humming and buzzing when my PC was working hard that I did not notice with the DAC on.

I'm not sure how your individual, personal experience means that "usually, an external DAC/Amp gives a noticeable difference".

I'm not sure how your individual, personal experience means that "usually, an external DAC/Amp gives a noticeable difference".

My bad. Didn't mean to assume. But it is almost always better than the build in motherboard DAC considering it's MEANT to do that.

Canada eh? 

My bad. Didn't mean to assume. But it is almost always better than the build in motherboard DAC considering it's MEANT to do that.

You might be surprised.

the only time you will need an external dac/amp is if hear any distortion or static from your on board sound. Sometimes higher end headphones or speakers can pickup on the static or other noises that lower end headphones do not.

but that is my opinion, to save money.

if you have the desk space, and the budget for external dac/amp, its your own choice to buy it or not

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

Your initial assumption (about an external DAC sounds better than onboards) might not be very far off mark, but most of the times, it's because of a whole different reason. 

It's not that the external dac is very much better than onboard, but rather the onboard audio is badly implemented. The onboard's dac chip itself might be good, but the implementation in the mobo could be disastrous, making it hum, pick up all sorts of EMIs, noises, buzzes etc. In this case, of course an external dac would be better. Even a $20 external dac would be better. 

Good mobos usually got good implementation of everything, including the onboard. For example, mobo A and B got the exact same audio chip, but the implementation in A is bad, while B is good, then B will definitely sound better (in regard of the absence of buzzes, hisses, hums, etc). In the case of B vs adding an external DAC, the improvement is minimal, if any.