Dose CPU really affect my gaming performance(FPS)?

This is what i observerd on Battlefield Hardline server(1080p,ultra settings)

empty server: about 40(sometime may suddenly drop to 4)

full server: about 20

and i saw one video on youtube:

He can run the game in about 60fps

This is my PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 Quad Core Processor

Mother Board: ASUS A55M-A

Graphic Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2G

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3

Hard Drive: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 SATA Disk

ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA Disk

CPU will only affect your gaming performance if it is bottlenecking your gpu

Check if your gpu is at 100% load in game, if so then you are fine, if not it may be time to upgrade your processor

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Yes, Yes it does. Especially on BF4, that game can use the CPU cores like theres no tomarrow.

That cpu is fairly old now, might consider an upgrade, though its a good match with the 270X if i do say so, neither should bottleneck either. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Look at it like this. The GPU can only run what the CPU can handle.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

In multiplayer games like that the CPU takes on much more responsibility than if you were just playing alone in a campaign mode.  Yes, you're losing frames with that CPU while playing a multiplayer game.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Msi after burner. It will show all the info fan speed temperature, including gpu usage. If it isnt bottlenecking then i think its time for a warranty rma because im pretty sure the 270x can run bf4 on ultra

if you press alt control and delite at the same time then press start task maneger and then performance you can see cpu usage and if its at 100% and your gpu (seen in msi afterburner) is not at 100% then its bottleneking your performance

CPU will only affect your gaming performance if it is bottlenecking your gpu

Check if your gpu is at 100% load in game, if so then you are fine, if not it may be time to upgrade your processor

omg, only 50 or lower, so if i change to i7 will my gaming performance better?

omg, only 50 or lower, so if i change to i7 will my gaming performance better?

You dont need an i7, an i5 will be just fine

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Do you have anything that may be running intensively in the backgroud? I was using Display Fusion and when my wallpaper changed my frame rate would plummet for a short time.

You dont need an i7, an i5 will be just fine

Even an i3 would. Arguably

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Do you have anything that may be running intensively in the backgroud? I was using Display Fusion and when my wallpaper changed my frame rate would plummet for a short time.

yes, actually you're right, my wallpaper change every 30 sec

yes, actually you're right, my wallpaper change every 30 sec

Have you tried disabling it?

Have you tried disabling it?

disabled, but seems not working

Yes, in heavily Multiplayer games, your CPU, X4 740, is hard at work especially in 64 player servers. The first thing that I would recommend with any BF game is disabling Origin In-Game.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

100% GPU load does not mean it's performing optimally. You can be at 100% GPU load with processor A and then put in processor B that's 30% faster and get 10+ extra FPS.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The CPU can be a culprit of not attaining acceptable frame rates. It's not exactly the fault of the CPU but the fault of the graphics stack. With the graphics stack being entirely serialized it means single core performance is most critical in ANY game. With slower performing cores it will take longer for the CPU to dispatch GPU workloads frequently. These jobs can end up queued behind even the games own logic which increases frame time. Higher the frame time the lower the FPS you're going to get. Moving from an Athlon x4 740 to an i3-4150 will likely yield you FPS gains simply because of the sheer IPC gain. Faster the core, faster the work gets done, lower the frame time meaning more frames being rendered every second.

The CPU can be a culprit of not attaining acceptable frame rates. It's not exactly the fault of the CPU but the fault of the graphics stack. With the graphics stack being entirely serialized it means single core performance is most critical in ANY game. With slower performing cores it will take longer for the CPU to dispatch GPU workloads frequently. These jobs can end up queued behind even the games own logic which increases frame time. Higher the frame time the lower the FPS you're going to get. Moving from an Athlon x4 740 to an i3-4150 will likely yield you FPS gains simply because of the sheer IPC gain. Faster the core, faster the work gets done, lower the frame time meaning more frames being rendered every second.

so you mean i can just use a single core cpu?

so you mean i can just use a single core cpu?

You'll get horrible frame rates due to resources being hogged by the game code itself (physics, ai, logic, etc). Buy any modern microprocessor you wish as long as it's rocking four cores or more. Going with an Intel option will likely yield higher frames even in scenarios where the GPU is already at max utilization.

Should of worded that differently. Single thread performance is key.

you should probably do the testing yourself rather than what you hear on forums, thats what i do.

from my own testing the bf francise is one of the best engines out there, if you have a fast dual core or slow quad core it will run great (the dual core will be pinned at 99% but the average's wont change much) you could run this game on a q6600.

as for what fps you get will depend on resolution and settings but with that card it should be good for 55fps average, thast what jayztwocents got in his 270 testing.fx4300 is pretty much same cpu and with a titanx. my g3258 gets its ass handed to it when compared to an fx4300 in titles like this.

http://www.techspot.com/review/979-battlefield-hardline-benchmarks/page5.html

the engine can scale across x number of cores which no one is maxed and single core performance doesnt matter, only older games or free to play mmo's which are poorly coded by a small team on a budget use single cores but in those titles the gpu is usually wasted.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

He can run the game in about 60fps

This is my PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 Quad Core Processor

Mother Board: ASUS A55M-A

Graphic Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2G

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3

Hard Drive: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 SATA Disk

ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA Disk

so far your ram is good,dont know much about amd hardware (i am using intel/nvidia) but i can tell you that CPU can effect the fps depending on the game engine(varies from game to game)...

i see you have a quad core cpu i think that a quad core cpu is enough for most games so you may want to see if its the gpu that is causing the low frame rate.

Other option than upgrading is lowering the settings of the game and testing untill you get 60fps

I hope this helps

so far your ram is good,dont know much about amd hardware (i am using intel/nvidia) but i can tell you that CPU can effect the fps depending on the game engine(varies from game to game)...

i see you have a quad core cpu i think that a quad core cpu is enough for most games so you may want to see if its the gpu that is causing the low frame rate.

Other option than upgrading is lowering the settings of the game and testing untill you get 60fps

I hope this helps

actually i dont think my gpu is bad

I hope this helps

but anyway, if i change to i7, will my fps increase