Rate my cable management :)

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to this whole pc building thing as i have been using a laptop for five years until i couldn't take it anymore and got myself a pc. I originally had it built for me at my local hardware store but eventually i learned to do everything on my own. It originally came with no cable management whatsoever (on a window case too wtf) a couple weeks later i did the cable management myself and threw in a 60cm red led strip. So what do you guys think about my cable management skills? Rate it out of 10 please?  :D

post-220082-0-37156100-1428117637_thumb.

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

Where's your RAM???

Looks like it has one stick without a heat spreader...

System: Thinkpad T460

That    case     is     so     empty     .

Eh, if there was a bigger Mobo it'd make the cables less noticeable, and if you re-route the 24pin through the cable management gromet to the left it'd look tidier. Though, I'd still say a pretty good 7/10. The 8/4 pin should also be routed behind the motherboard tray, not infront of it. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

8/10

You should run the 24 pin through the cut-out and not the cages. Other than that looks good for what you have.

That    case     is     so     empty     .

Eh, if there was a bigger Mobo it'd make the cables less noticeable, and if you re-route the 24pin through the cable management gromet to the left it'd look tidier. Though, I'd still say a pretty good 7/10. The 8/4 pin should also be routed behind the motherboard tray, not infront of it. 

i originally intended to do so but it wouldn't fit through LOL (facepalm at thermaltake) 

yes i will be upgrading to a full size ATX motherboard in the near future  :lol: 

i also had no idea you could route the 4pin behind the motherboard tray :o do i need to take out the motherboard to do so?

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

i have it an 8/10

that small MB shows cables at the bottom. no big deal though.

points off for the 8/4 pin going over the MB and the wiring on the top left od the MB. them fan cables...

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

i originally intended to do so but it wouldn't fit through LOL (facepalm at thermaltake) 

yes i will be upgrading to a full size ATX motherboard in the near future  :lol: 

i also had no idea you could route the 4pin behind the motherboard tray :o do i need to take out the motherboard to do so?

In some cases you don't have to because the cpu cut-out is large enough, but in many cases that's not the case (lol, im punny)

So you'll probably have to.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yup it's a kingsotn value single stick. it's pretty tiny and slim. the camera angle lines up with it and makes it hard to see lol

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

Yup it's a kingsotn value single stick. it's pretty tiny and slim. the camera angle lines up with it and makes it hard to see lol

i have it an 8/10

points off for the 8/4 pin going over the MB and the wiring on the top left od the MB. them fan cables...

yeah i'll be doing something about that 8/4 pin later today but could you suggest anything about the fan cable? it's really long

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

i have it an 8/10

yeah i'll be doing something about that 8/4 pin later today but could you suggest anything about the fan cable? it's really long

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

i have it an 8/10

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

holy cow i quad posted..... guess that's my first newbie mistake lol

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

well since you asked Im going to go a little harsher and say 6/10 but I wont do it without helping you make it a 10/10

first point is your headers, sata, usb ports, basically everything thing at the bottom. I would take a dremmel and make a slot right underneath the mobo to slide those all through. If you want to go really clean you should try to have the slot 1/2 underneath

second point is to have your 8 pin going through the top left corner to the back. If theres not a hole dremmel one!

third point is the 24 pin man thats messed up. Some say put it in the slot to the left but imo thats still to far so you guessed it dremmel out a place for that cable to go through. 

fourth point is get rid of that cable in the back thats shown through the cages. I cant tell what it is but It is a pet peeve of mine when people have cables showing through their cages so I would fix that.

other than that its not too bad. if you dont have a dremmel invest in one they arent too expensive. 

i tuck my fan cable lines underneath the heatsink they power. or i run them along the case walls as best i can.

i'd tuck your stock fan wire under the heatsink, maybe even coil it around the heatsink once to shorten it.

some people claim that the heatsink will melt thee wires, but if the fan is doing it's job, that will NEVER happen.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

well since you asked Im going to go a little harsher and say 6/10 but I wont do it without helping you make it a 10/10

first point is your headers, sata, usb ports, basically everything thing at the bottom. I would take a dremmel and make a slot right underneath the mobo to slide those all through. If you want to go really clean you should try to have the slot 1/2 underneath

second point is to have your 8 pin going through the top left corner to the back. If theres not a hole dremmel one!

third point is the 24 pin man thats messed up. Some say put it in the slot to the left but imo thats still to far so you guessed it dremmel out a place for that cable to go through. 

fourth point is get rid of that cable in the back thats shown through the cages. I cant tell what it is but It is a pet peeve of mine when people have cables showing through their cages so I would fix that.

other than that its not too bad. if you dont have a dremmel invest in one they arent too expensive. 

the cables at the bottom will be pretty much gone when i put in a ATX motherboard so i'll leave it like that for now... but the whole dremmel idea sounds pretty good to me man maybe when i have the case i'll get one (or borrow one lol)

the cables in the back of the cages are my case cables and the sata power for my dvd drive... i shoved them in the nearest hole but then again, the dremmel comes in handy in these situations

thanks for the tips brother 

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

i tuck my fan cable lines underneath the heatsink they power. or i run them along the case walls as best i can.

i'd tuck your stock fan wire under the heatsink, maybe even coil it around the heatsink once to shorten it.

some people claim that the heatsink will melt thee wires, but if the fan is doing it's job, that will NEVER happen.

even more stuff to do now lol thanks for the tips, will get to it after i finish my pie  :P

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

even more stuff to do now lol thanks for the tips, will get to it after i finish my pie  :P

what... what kind of pie?

The kind that you can't have cause he just ate it all.

5/10

BUT

Really good job for a first try. Sometimes you wont see the possibilities the first time or once you take a few minutes to look at it.

D:

they were two mini shepherd's pie. were 

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

5/10

BUT

Really good job for a first try. Sometimes you wont see the possibilities the first time or once you take a few minutes to look at it.

this was actually my 3-4th try lol but yes, regardless i do come up with something new everytime i open up the case and look at it  :P

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB

*update*
the 8/4 pin now slips through the motherboard as some of you suggested. good pie was eaten during the process

i7 4770K | GTX 1060 GB