Leap Computing, Is cloud computing here?

This is sourced from both there site and tech talk #71 hosted by JayzTwoCentz &  Barnnacules

This service will basically allow you to have high end hardware available over the internet. That is updated to the latest standard as they become available within your package all for a reasonable price. This only requires a 5 mbps to get 90 fps at 1080. I believe if this is successful it will be awesome. I will post the time stamps of the Tek Talk were they were discussing it. If I remember I will link Jay's and Jerry's Video when they go up!

Jay and Jerry start talking about it  #1

Jay clarifies a couple of things from comments he receives from both the viewers and the company #2, #3, #4

Leap Computing's website

Barnnacules video (when he makes one if he does)

feel free to leave your comments on this i think if they pull it off it will be amazing! 

Edited by Night_Rider0

Pay attention to the second time stamp for Jayz offer code and yes i will make you watch the videos! :P

This is sourced from both there site and tech talk #71 hosted by JayzTwoCentz &  Barnnacules

This service will basically allow you two have high end hardware  that is updated to the latest standard as they become available  within your package all for a reasonable price that you have the most up to date hardware and this only requires a  5 mbps to get 90 fps at 1080 i believe. if this is successful i think it will be awesome. i will post the time stamps of the tek talk were they were discussing it and if i remember i will link Jayz amd Jerry's when the video's go up! 

Tech talk starts talking about it #1

jay clarifies a couple of things from the comments he receives #2, #3, #4

Leap Computing's website

Jayz review video (will link when available)

Barnnacules video (when he makes one if he does)

feel free to leave your comments on this i think if they pull it off it will be amazing! 

Wut?

I have no idea what it is you are trying to tell me :S sorry :( could you try and remove spelling mistakes/clean it up a little please? :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I sure hope cloud computing never becomes a reality(alredy is?),i pray it dies and goes extinct.

In terms of gaming that would mean the end of PC games as we know them,end of mods and so on.For busineses and so on its usefull but it better stay away from gaming,that would be a disaster :|

As almost everything is going subscription model I'm pretty sure pc gaming will go the same route. Nvidia Grid as another example. All it needs is better internet connection which will come. I dont like it that much, too.

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

You can sign up (and pay monthly) to watch movies/sitcoms, listen to music, get razor blades, get clothing.. game streaming will come.

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Wut?

I have no idea what it is you are trying to tell me :S sorry :( could you try and remove spelling mistakes/clean it up a little please? :)

any better? sorry for the confusion!

any better? sorry for the confusion!

Much better, thank you :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I sure hope cloud computing never becomes a reality(alredy is?),i pray it dies and goes extinct.

In terms of gaming that would mean the end of PC games as we know them,end of mods and so on.For busineses and so on its usefull but it better stay away from gaming,that would be a disaster :|

You can sign up (and pay monthly) to watch movies/sitcoms, listen to music, get razor blades, get clothing.. game streaming will come.

Well im not a huge fan of the idea because i love building computers but there will still be a market for this as you get the latest gpu and a hex core processor. If the hardware is updated every 14 months as Jay mentions in his video is the release cycle for Nvidia's top gpu. At the non preorder price you get a high end pc for $720 if you get presale price which is for life of the account on the product you get this for $360 a year that is less then a dollar a day to use a high end system that always has up to date hardware. 

so even if you hate the idea you cant argue the price for a pc it would cost you $1700.00 for the cpu, ram, and gpu. As Linus has said cloud computing is coming whether you like or not so hold on because here it comes. Now there will always be an enthusiast market to build your own computers. we have to remember this is great for someone who wants the performance but does not want to put the money up for it. plus if you use this to create YouTube content you can upload at data center speeds. no having to worry about the hardware dying because if it does your system migrates to a different machine and your ready to go, no more buying a new gpu because it died a week after the warranty expired.   

Its not there yet. But its not that far yet. It wont kill gaming on PC/laptop. Internet isnt great at most places, it requires internet connection to play games that really would require just offline mode (single player). People like to mod games.

There will be a market for this, I can see a company like EA loving this.

This isnt really news aswell. This is just a product, and this type of product has been here for a while. More of a product awareness and it seems like this thread is more of a discussion.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Well im not a huge fan of the idea because i love building computers but there will still be a market for this as you get the latest gpu and a hex core processor. If the hardware is updated every 14 months as Jay mentions in his video is the release cycle for Nvidia's top gpu. At the non preorder price you get a high end pc for $720 if you get presale price which is for life of the account on the product you get this for $360 a year that is less then a dollar a day to use a high end system that always has up to date hardware. 

so even if you hate the idea you cant argue the price for a pc it would cost you $1700.00 for the cpu, ram, and gpu. As Linus has said cloud computing is coming whether you like or not so hold on because here it comes. Now there will always be an enthusiast market to build your own computers. we have to remember this is great for someone who wants the performance but does not want to put the money up for it. plus if you use this to create YouTube content you can upload at data center speeds. no having to worry about the hardware dying because if it does your system migrates to a different machine and your ready to go, no more buying a new gpu because it died a week after the warranty expired.   

I will like it when it is open source and I can get paid for letting people game on my rig from their own house via cloud computing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This could be very useful for Students as well. Every college has a outstanding Internet connection, so you could get this instead of spending money on a rig which could easily be damaged in dorms. Overall I think that this is a great idea and I hope that they deliver everything that they have promised.

This could be very useful for Students as well. Every college has a outstanding Internet connection, so you could get this instead of spending money on a rig which could easily be damaged in dorms. Overall I think that this is a great idea and I hope that they deliver everything that they have promised.

I hope they do as well because if this runs on dirt nothing like they say it will. if they compile a client to run on something like a pi you have a cheap work station that takes littel to no room you can hook to any hdmi device and have the performance of that machine. if the pi ever breaks or quits working you spend anther $35 and you are ready to go again! even if you had to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse you still have only paid for the Gpu in the first year but as soon as they update the gpu to the newest thing then you start all over again. there is also no expensive hardware to maintain and replace the system basically has a life time warranty.   

I hope they do as well because if this runs on dirt nothing like they say it will. if they compile a client to run on something like a pi you have a cheap work station that takes littel to no room you can hook to any hdmi device and have the performance of that machine. if the pi ever breaks or quits working you spend anther $35 and you are ready to go again! even if you had to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse you still have only paid for the Gpu in the first year but as soon as they update the gpu to the newest thing then you start all over again. there is also no expensive hardware to maintain and replace the system basically has a life time warranty.   

True! and also if you calculate power saving into the price it comes out even cheaper. I do not know how much you would have to pay monthly for electricity but I'm guessing that a PC turns out to be around 10 bucks a month in (don't quote me on that). That of course depends on where you live and how much you use the computer but still it should be considered when purchasing service like this.

Something tells me this won't be anywhere near good enough to play online competitive games for many years to come. Internet just is not getting fast enough here in america at least, that on top of latency? Imagine being several frame behind your enemy every time. No thanks

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

As almost everything is going subscription model I'm pretty sure pc gaming will go the same route. Nvidia Grid as another example. All it needs is better internet connection which will come. I dont like it that much, too.

Subscription model really sucks, sure you have a large amount to choose from but if you only want a one or two of the times offered (example games, I play Dayz, H1N1, and COD 4 on pc that's it) so paying for a subscription makes it cost more. That will lead me to pirate more and more, if I can't pay for something and own it then I will pay none and get it for free.

What are everyone's thoughts on cloud based computing? Do you like the idea of losing control of your data, paying a much higher internet bill or does convenience out weight the negatives for you?

For me I doubt I will ever go to cloud based computing so matter how great it becomes, maybe for very particular situations (can't think of any right now). I don't mind if it costs more or it is more work. Even the idea of something breaking does not bother me when comparing it to the negative of cloud based computing. I currently have 115GB of Google Drive space thanks to getting a M8. Never use it for anything, I think I have a couple files on there and they are only ones from other people that have shared files/folders with me.

What are everyone's thoughts on cloud based computing? Do you like the idea of losing control of your data, paying a much higher internet bill or does convenience out weight the negatives for you?

For me I doubt I will ever go to cloud based computing so matter how great it becomes, maybe for very particular situations (can't think of any right now). I don't mind if it costs more or it is more work. Even the idea of something breaking does not bother me when comparing it to the negative of cloud based computing. I currently have 115GB of Google dDrive space thanks to getting a M8. Never use it for anything, I think I have a couple files on there and they are only ones from other people that have shared files/folders with me.

i dont think i used any google drive storage because google docs and such doesnt count towards data usage on google drive

Cloud computing has its place, I use it in situations when it is beneficial to me or the task.

i dont think i used any google drive storage because google docs and such doesnt count towards data usage on google drive

What is the appeal of even using Google Docs? Being able to access it from anywhere? If so why not set up a ftp to your home server or pc.

Cloud computing has its place, I use it in situations when it is beneficial to me or the task.

Like what tasks would it be beneficial to you? I currently can't see any.

99% of end-users won't benefit from cloud computing (at least not in the near future). Cloud storage is a whole different story, great for backups, but cloud computing is for businesses that don't want to invest in IT infrastructure.

99% of end-users won't benefit from cloud computing (at least not in the near future). Cloud storage is a whole different story, great for backups, but cloud computing is for businesses that don't want to invest in IT infrastructure.

Well with LeapComputing introducing gaming in the cloud there is some users who could benifit from it, but what most users do I don't think there will ever be a need for cloud computing. 

You say cloud storage is great for backups, how so when you might as well just keep it all there then since it is already in the cloud. 

What is the appeal of even using Google Docs? Being able to access it from anywhere? If so why not set up a ftp to your home server or pc.

Like what tasks would it be beneficial to you? I currently can't see any.

The main one is google docs/dropbox. My server is only internal, i removed the external services as its is just more secure for more important documents and files. GDocs is just really useful for full automation without making my network a target.

Its all personal choice, at the end of the day cloud computer is just an off site server, its not a new concept just a renamed one.

Something tells me this won't be anywhere near good enough to play online competitive games for many years to come. Internet just is not getting fast enough here in america at least, that on top of latency? Imagine being several frame behind your enemy every time. No thanks

well jay did say in that stream that he was playing an fps on the system and there was not a horrible amount of delay. tho he also said a competitive fps player would not use this it does work for it rater well   

hmmm I don't think a lot of you get what this service is and what it offers. This is not like grid. You have control over what you install (mods etc) and what you do. You can install Adobe creative cloud and work away.