Win 8.1 Should i get it

matto97

I have windows 8 atm and the only way i have cepted my self saine is using a 3rd party program so i have a start menu button. but with Windows 8.1 i have herd there's lots of stuff to do with APU Performance and using less RAM from DirectX 11.2 and some other stuff. but the start button in Windows 8.1 is still the same dam thing really as in Windows 8. if i was to download win8.1 would i be able to find a start button program any wear and would i get any better performance. im using a A8-4500M APU and 12GB RAM. i do lots of gaming as well and some mods for Skyrim. i also do some Photoshop stuff

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

A proper start-menu hack will be developed, probably rather quickly, if StartIsBack or whatever doesn't already work with Windows 8. I think you might as well upgrade, but if the loss of the start menu is too much to bear, wait for confirmation that a start-menu enabler is working before you upgrade.

EDIT: ^ Yes, wait for the full release first

Wit is educated insolence.

It's free.

You will receive it just like you would get a SP upgrade I'm assuming. There is no reason not to get it.

I wouldn't do it yet, I did and it messed up a few things on my laptop, firstly breaking the touch screen on it, well I probably could have fixed it with drivers but meh, also USB controller drivers and just hung around too much on a lot of things, especially booting up, cut the speed down dramatically, maybe soon a more stable beta will be released but for now, I would not recommend it, but I would wait for it to be released, the time it was working ok with me, the new feature fix a LOT of things, I would wait for the proper release and not install a third party app :)

Unfortunately there is :(   ^^

It's free.

You will receive it just like you would get a SP upgrade I'm assuming. There is no reason not to get it.

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

ok i will wait and see what comes up with the start menu :)

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

The windows 8.1 preview is more like a beta for it, so it is still full of bugs. I don't know about using the 3rd party modifications and probably non of the them are actually updated for 8.1. Even if you do update to 8.1 preview version nobody knows if you can update from the preview version to the full released version without needing a format. Personally I wouldn't, but that's my opinion but its your call after all.  

I can't wait to try it with a leap motion.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I can't wait to try it with a leap motion.

you should do a video review on it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

you should do a video review on it

I haven't pre-ordered a leap motion. If I get it before 1000 other people do a review then I will :)

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

LMAO  @ start menus. people are so afraid of change. I have had Win 8 from release and haven't had an issue without the start menu. Running 8.1 right now and its changes are nice.

I love Win8 its like a better looking Win7 but i just cant bring my self to use Win8 without a start button. But at least we all know Win9 will be better XD

Wait for the full release as 8.1 has a boatfull of bugs on top on the pre-existing ones on standard Windows 8. Windows 8 itself still breaks from time to time, espically with drivers. (eg Windows 8 has some driver issue that causes it to be unable to restart on my laptop.) But the pros outweigh the cons IMO

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I haven't pre-ordered a leap motion. If I get it before 1000 other people do a review then I will :)

woot :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I downloaded and tried Windows 8.1, I found it too buggy to use. It caused problems with my AV program and I was getting problems with Steam as well, so I reverted back to Windows 8. I wouldn't download it if I were you unless you're a developer that needs to develop a program for Windows 8.1.

Definitely wait for the RTM. Seems like tons of people have issues with the preview build.