X99 2011 or Z170 and 1151

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

So this is my first post because I have a real dilemma, you see I'm a laptop plebeian who has recently seen the light and decided to build a desktop. My only issue is I seem to have had this premonition at a very bad time with skylake right around the bend. So this is my question do I build on the x99 platform or do I bite my thumbs, cry a little more and wait for skylake? My main uses for the computer is going to be fps gaming and some video editing (bec I'm so mlg pro .... not). If I have done my homework which I think I have skylake-k will be launching in early 2016 and have a completely new socket, the 1151.

TLDR: Will the 5820k be enough to last a good long time or does skylake provide such a large upgrade that I would be foolish to go with haswell-e?

my build is..

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75820K

MSI X99S SLI PLUS ATX DDR4 NA Motherboards X99S SLI PLUS

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) CL16 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory

ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC20C-4GD5<--derp Graphics Cards STRIX-GTX970-DC20C-4GD5

Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i

Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D High Airflow Mid-Tower Computer Case CC-9011049-WW

Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache WD1003FZEX

ps. I do plan to overclock whatever I get.

pss. Also just so I can get a little help if you see any compatibility issues or know of something better with the parts I just mentioned please tell me I would love to know!!

Even if it was current Haswell vs. Haswell-E, I don't see much point in Haswell-E unless you are doing video editing at least semi-professionally or if you're going for at least three-way SLI or Crossfire. i7-4790K's are already so very fast.

Haswell-E is already pretty much tied clock-for-clock with Haswell in ≤ 4-core gaming, so if Skylake is even a tiny IPC improvement it will almost certainly be the better gaming CPU.

So this is my first post because I have a real dilemma, you see I'm a laptop plebeian who has recently seen the light and decided to build a desktop. My only issue is I seem to have had this premonition at a very bad time with skylake right around the bend. So this is my question do I build on the x99 platform or do I bite my thumbs, cry a little more and wait for skylake? My main uses for the computer is going to be fps gaming and some video editing (bec I'm so mlg pro .... not). If I have done my homework which I think I have skylake-k will be launching in early 2016 and have a completely new socket, the 1151.

TLDR: Will the 5820k be enough to last a good long time or does skylake provide such a large upgrade that I would be foolish to go with haswell-e?

my build is..

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75820K

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) CL16 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory

Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i

Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D High Airflow Mid-Tower Computer Case CC-9011049-WW

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache WD1003FZEX

pss. Also just so I can get a little help if you see any compatibility issues or know of something better with the parts I just mentioned please tell me I would love to know!!

is the new system gonna be use for gaming alone?

i say hold off till Skylake comes

the X99 is more of a workhorse PC than for gaming

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Not a great value gaming system.

Forget X99 altogether and stick with only what you need. An i5/i7 1150 system will still last you for years to come.

Need help with the RMA/retail side of things? Feel free to send me a PM, always happy to share my industry experience with others.

i see 1 major issue.... where's the SSD

drop to a Z97 board  and you will be happy for 1-2 years

or hold off till skylake

i'm hoping rumors of skylake chipsets supporting DDR3 is true....

i cant bear to part with 24GB of ram, which i sometimes use as a virtual disk

my build is..

Even if it was current Haswell vs. Haswell-E, I don't see much point in Haswell-E unless you are doing video editing at least semi-professionally or if you're going for at least three-way SLI or Crossfire. i7-4790K's are already so very fast.

Haswell-E is already pretty much tied clock-for-clock with Haswell in ≤ 4-core gaming, so if Skylake is even a tiny IPC improvement it will almost certainly be the better gaming CPU.

x99 is particularly good for workstations not really for just gaming and a little bit of video editing. If you are looking to upgrade right now, waiting for skylake seems a bit rough since the k skus are probably going to come out late 2015 or early 2016

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

• 4 months later...

#SkylakeFTW I'd say wait for Skylake because X99 is more for Workstation but for your use a Z97 will suit better, but if you wait for Skylake and Z170 you will not regret it. 100%

BTW: I think you should just do whatever you wan't but don't buy an expensive and wait for Nvidia's Pascal GPU to come out.

xD #IntelSkylake + #NvidiaPascal = ULTIMAE SUPERCOMPUTING 4EVR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!