How tough are the current-gen Thinkpads?

Firstly, a little bit of background: I'm both a live sound engineer and a part-time motion graphics designer. That means I spend half my time on outdoor sites, and the other half at home using quite intensive 3D applications.

Up until now, I've been using a MacBook Pro running Windows, so switching to a non-mac wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, twice now my MacBook has succumbed to water damage, so I'm after a tougher machine.

I was looking at the W530 series and wondered if they're as tough as the old T series from the IBM/Lenovo days, and if they were worth the money. If there are any other options around, then I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks!

I thought about a Toughbook, but they're extremely bulky, and don't seem to have anywhere near the performance of Thinkpads.

They're also really damned expensive, but thanks for the suggestion :)

That's the newest Thinkpad X1 Carbon. There's a point in the video where it gets thrown about 5-10 ft from a height of 6 ft or so. Not a scratch.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thanks for all the help guys!

One thing I'm worried about is that because the W530 has larger vents for cooling, that would make it more susceptible to liquid/high humidity and stuff, you think that would be a problem? 

Thanks for all the help guys!

One thing I'm worried about is that because the W530 has larger vents for cooling, that would make it more susceptible to liquid/high humidity and stuff, you think that would be a problem? 

Unless your using it in the amazon I don't think it should be an issue in terms of humidity. Then again maybe I've just never heard of people having that type of issue.

W530 is a very nice laptop, I'm loving mine, good build quality and I personally like their new keyboards

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Exceptional. I have an X220 for taking to and from uni every day, and my father has a T430 that he uses for his engineering work (CAD, FEA, etc.). Neither have missed a beat, Neither have had any problems, we're very satisfied. I previously had an Aluminium Macbook pro, they are probably the best in the world in terms of build quality, but the Thinkpad is a winner for performance/value/build quality.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I don't know if it is current generation Thinkpad but I own a Thinkpad w500 and it has been absolutely amazing. It is probably one of the most durable laptop that I have ever owned. One major plus about Thinkpads is that they make them really easy to take apart so upgrading, fixing, or just general cleaning is very easy. The only complaint that I have is that the lid gets scratched very easily, all I have to do is take the back of my nail and run it across the surface and it leaves a scratch. I don't know if they changed the material but if they didn't there is one thing that you should be aware of.

"No signature"

owner of T430... and all I can say that it's TOP QUALITY. Love it.