LGBT community

carguy86
Just now, Nicholatian said:

For that kind of money, I sincerely hope you’re getting good productions out of it. I have a hard time seeing the value in buying new laptops to be honest… they depreciate so nicely in two years! ?

if I want modern performance, well… I have a desktop for that. It runs Skylake, has plenty of RAM and good storage options, and I’ll be getting an RX 460 for it soon. I’m also about to make the thing run completely fanless! ?

But for a laptop? Not happening, lol. The way I see it, if a laptop isn’t providing a good balance of versatility and performance, or it doesn’t do what you need it to without major setbacks… why even bother with a laptop in the first place? Makes me question the interest in gaming laptops – if it’s lost so much of its portability for the sake of performance or vice versa, then why are you compromising and getting a laptop in the first place anyway…?

I'm basically paying for the 94.24Wh battery, i7, 1060 and 14" 2560x1440 display. Oh, and a NVMe-compatible M.2 slot.

Sounds like a really expensive hunk of metal! ? I really don’t see the point in some of those things on a laptop in 2017, but whatever.

It's the only laptop out there that meets my needs.

7 - 10 hour battery life - check

Able to play games competently - check

Expandable - check

Portable - check

14" - check

Able to do demanding things that aren't games - check

Lol. Tell that to my 12½” ThinkPad.

I don't feel comfortable using a laptop under 13.3". I own a couple small laptops (iBook G3 12", ThinkPad 560Z, ThinkPad X120e) and can't get used to the form factor.

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

FWIW @Daring, the panel is 12½” – there is a sizeable bezel around it so it may be 13.3” in actuality.

Nah, it has a 12.5" panel. The bezel is for when you're using it in tablet mode.

That's the problem with 2-in-1 devices, there's gonna be a compromise somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

I don't feel comfortable using a laptop under 13.3". I own a couple small laptops (iBook G3 12", ThinkPad 560Z, ThinkPad X120e) and can't get used to the form factor.

Really? I simply refuse to use anything without AT LEAST a 15,6inch screen :P

Smartphones really aren't my deal, but I take my notebook everywhere with me at college, work and home.... when I'm not on the desktop [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I used to prefer 15.6", but they don't work as well on the desk, in an airplane seat or classroom as a smaller laptop. When I used an MSI GT60 as my main machine, that thing was extremely cumbersome in a plane and barely even fit in.

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

First of all, these are four-in-one devices. Second of all, there’s going to be a compromise somewhere on any kind of PC you make – it’s not a fault unique to Yoga devices. It’s still by far the most versatile laptop you’re going to find on the market ?

I used to own a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. It was a pretty terrible laptop and an even worse tablet tbh.

Just now, Daring said:

That does makes good sense, you lose mobility in order to have that extended freedom feeling from it... shouldn't be my case though as I used to travel SO MUCH when I was little that now that I'm grown up I actually prefer stay at home as much as possible xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

That does makes good sense, you lose mobility in order to have that extended freedom feeling from it... shouldn't be my case though as I used to travel SO MUCH when I was little that now that I'm grown up I actually prefer stay at home as much as possible xD

Aha, I know how you feel :P 

That being said, I really wanna go to northern New England again some day. Maybe the western US as well. And countries that aren't the US, like Germany and Japan.

51 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

IT’S TIME TO DIE!!!

Calm your hooters.  ?

(Sorry.  Had to.  ?)

45 minutes ago, Daring said:

Time to order a new laptop.

Why's that?

35 minutes ago, ServerGuy said:

Ugh BT....

You "fix" an issue, then when I enquire about it, you make it worse!!

Didn't realise I had suddenly switched back to Sky!

I am sad now :( 

BT?

31 minutes ago, Daring said:

Maybe not yet... need to be able to cover a $699 down payment. grr.

How do you put a down payment on a laptop?    

Vs places making you pay outright like from Amazon.

19 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

if I want modern performance, well… I have a desktop for that. It runs Skylake, has plenty of RAM and good storage options, and I’ll be getting an RX 460 for it soon. I’m also about to make the thing run completely fanless! ?

Fanless?  How?

18 minutes ago, Daring said:

I'm basically paying for the 94.24Wh battery, i7, 1060 and 14" 2560x1440 display. Oh, and a NVMe-compatible M.2 slot.

Model?  Brand?  Intended place of purchase?    Details please.

8 minutes ago, Daring said:

It's the only laptop out there that meets my needs.

7 - 10 hour battery life - check

Able to play games competently - check

Expandable - check

Portable - check

14" - check

Able to do demanding things that aren't games - check

I'd love a 7-10 hour battery in a laptop that could still do more than web browsing.

My old sager is heavy for a laptop and worse even when the battery was new I barely got 1 hour.    Last week I think it was I tried to unplug it to bring upstairs near the wifi router to test signal strength at the router it wouldn't even turn on without being plugged in.  

Guess the battery is dead?  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Model?  Brand?  Intended place of purchase?    Details please.

Gigabyte Aero 14. It's a $1700 laptop lmao

But it's completely worth it!

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Smartphones really aren't my deal, but I take my notebook everywhere with me at college, work and home.... when I'm not on the desktop [:

At least for gaming or watching movies I'd definitely want at lesst 15.6 inches too.

For basic stuff like iTunes or web browsing I could be ok with a smaller screen on a computer since the benefit would be better portability.  

Though I use my iPad Air every day a lot and it's got a 9.7 inch screen (not sure about the aspect ratio) which works fine for stuff like LTT.  (Using it right now.  ?)

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

I used to prefer 15.6", but they don't work as well on the desk, in an airplane seat or classroom as a smaller laptop. When I used an MSI GT60 as my main machine, that thing was extremely cumbersome in a plane and barely even fit in.

How often are you on a plane though?  

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I actually prefer stay at home as much as possible xD

How much I agree with this makes me want to hug you.  ?

I'm not opposed to leaving my house to run errands and stuff but my favorite place to be is home playing video games or doing something else I enjoy.

How often are you on a plane though?

Semi-frequently.

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

Gigabyte Aero 14. It's a $1700 laptop lmao

But it's completely worth it!

I spent about $2700 on my old Sager back in 2010 so $1700 seems a bit cheap by comparison.  lol

I may have asked this before but does Gigabyte make good laptops?

5 minutes ago, chrisholland03 said:

@Bleedingyamato we need to get you an avatar, dude :)

Someday.  ?

4 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Not a ThinkPad, so I’m not the least bit surprised. I wouldn’t consider buying any laptop say for a few lines… MacBooks, ThinkPads, MSi laptops, Sager, and uh… I think that’s about it, AFAIK.

Passive RX 460, passive CPU heatsink, and a fanless PSU. I already own that PSU, so I just need to get a new cooler and the GPU.

What about case fans though?

Even passive cooling things need airflow right?

Since I assume they rely on the ambient temperature inside the case being cool enough don't they?

It's an interesting idea.    I hope you'll do a build log or maybe post some pictures here when you get all that installed.  

I may have asked this before but does Gigabyte make good laptops?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If you have freedom at home there literally is no other better place to be. The streets are dangerous, bars and restaurants are crowed, expensive, noisy... parties usually have crappy song and even louder people... nothing beats home and at best receive one or two friends over every once in a while.

You are safe and free to do things your own way, listen your own music, play with your pets ^^

And yes, 15,6inchs really is the minimum for at least Windows to me, if you want more portability for social media, communicating with others and web browsing I do think a smartphone would suit better than some chromebook or what not smaller than 15'6inches.

Thanks every one for not eating me alive this was my first time replying in this thread, I have thought about before but never got a good "entry" xD

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Yes.

Cool.    But what's the deal with the down payment thing?    How does that work instead of them making you pay all upfront?

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

If you have freedom at home there literally is no other better place to be. The streets are dangerous, bars and restaurants are crowed, expensive, noisy... parties usually have crappy song and even louder people... nothing beats home and at best receive one or two friends over every once in a while.

You are safe and free to do things your own way, listen your own music, play with your pets ^^

And yes, 15,6inchs really is the minimum for at least Windows to me, if you want more portability for social media, communicating with others and web browsing I do think a smartphone would suit better than some chromebook or what not smaller than 15'6inches.

Thanks every one for not eating me alive this was my first time replying in this thread, I have thought about before but never got a good "entry" xD

Home is where I can enjoy MLP without feeling judged.  ?

People in this thread are nice so no need to worry.    It's a nice place to chat even for people like myself who aren't LGBT.  

Cool.    But what's the deal with the down payment thing?    How does that work instead of them making you pay all upfront?

It's financing. I'd have to make a down payment, then I can pay the rest of it off over time.

33 minutes ago, Daring said:

I've got two laptops, 15.6 and 11.6. Both are nice for what I use them for.

That is super! ^^

Frankly I don't know what I am any more, I had my bi period and quite frankly I used to consider myself more leaned to lesbian as I had a long case with another girl but after I met my boyfriend through MLP four years ago, we become such great friends and later started dating and we're almost kinda engage by nowadays I feel it's stupid call myself bi still even though I still have more sexual interest on other girls than boys but we're dead serious together in a straight relationship... @_@

I don't wanna cause any drama though hehehe just enjoy the ride of life, I would love to find other pony lovers in here, by the way @Daring I really wanted to say your profile pic is very cute ^^

Personal Desktop":

I would love to find other pony lovers in here

You're a couple years too late on that one with me.

by the way @Daring I really wanted to say your profile pic is very cute ^^

Thanks ^^ Alolan Vulpix is adorbs.

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

It's financing. I'd have to make a down payment, then I can pay the rest of it off over time.

Ah.   How long would you have to pay it off?

Is it no interest if you pay it off during a specified period?

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That is super! ^^

Frankly I don't know what I am any more, I had my bi period and quite frankly I used to consider myself more leaned to lesbian as I had a long case with another girl but after I met my boyfriend through MLP four years ago, we become such great friends and later started dating and we're almost kinda engage by nowadays I feel it's stupid call myself bi still even though I still have more sexual interest on other girls than boys but we're dead serious together in a straight relationship... @_@

I don't wanna cause any drama though hehehe just enjoy the ride of life, I would love to find other pony lovers in here, by the way @Daring I really wanted to say your profile pic is very cute ^^

Well I haven't really asked my family what they think of my having ponies from Build a Bear but at least my parents (still stuck living with them lol) don't bug me about it.  I haven't come out and said "yes I like MLP".   

Though with all the ponies they've seen I have I assume it's not much of a secret.  ?

Even if you're dating a guy if you like girls too I'd say you're still bi.    Your sexual orientation doesn't change based on the gender of your SO.  

I think as long as you're happy in your relationship and have romantic feelings for who you're dating then that's what matters.  

If you're happy then all is right with the world.  ?

Ah.   How long would you have to pay it off?

I can choose how long it takes to pay it off, but I'm likely gonna go for the 6-month, $179/month option.

I really don't wanna go back to college with a dying laptop.

10 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

I’m going to go with ‘nope’. @Stefan1024 once built a PC with a GTX 980 and a Haswell Core i7, and it had no moving parts at all whatsoever. I should be able to get away with running an RX 460 and a T series CPU or something without being a professional at thermodynamics like him ?

Here's hoping that works out for you.  ?

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

You're a couple years too late on that one with me.

Thanks ^^ Alolan Vulpix is adorbs.

You be nice to her ok?  ?

She's a princess after all.  ?

Yes it is.    But so are bunnies.