iPad mini -- Is it the Best Tablet Out There? (iPad mini vs. Galaxy Tab 3 7.0)

Russell450

I just got the iPad mini about 5 months ago. I have been using it since. I thought this would be a great opportunity to share this with everyone. So, let's get started:

Design:

When I first opened the box of my iPad mini, I was amazed. Switching from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 from Sprint to an iPad mini 16GB WiFi, it was like I reached mobile device heaven. But, seriously, I loved that iPad. And I still do. The aluminum is great because of the feel. It is SO premium feeling. And, it is so seamless! My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (a big mouthful) had gaps in the plastic siding and I could fit a piece of construction paper in it. With my iPad mini, I cannot even fit a piece of notebook paper in the siding (the point where the sides join with the display, if someone was wondering what in the world I was talking about :P) I loved the aluminum compared to the plastic. Now, the plastic wasn't a big issue with the Galaxy. I felt the same way with the Galaxy when I opened the box if it as when I opened the box of my iPad. But, now, I feel like my Galaxy is a piece of junk.I 

The iPad wins this round.

Performance:

Now, this is general performance. I did not take Geekbench scores (which I should have, but if you guys want those, go ahead and post below and tell me and I will if you guys want that). So, with my iPad, I opened Google and, at the same time, I opened Google on my Galaxy. I was laughing so hard when I did this. Google crashed when I tried to do this on my Galaxy! My iPad opened Google in less than three seconds. That should just tell you something.

The iPad, again, wins this round.

Camera:

I took two pictures with my iPad, and one, with my Galaxy. Now the Galaxy has a Fixed Focus camera, while the iPad has an Auto Focus camera. That will tell everybody the picture will be better. The Galaxy had washed out pictures and at some point was as if it did not show color at all. My iPad showed COLOR, they were vibrant pictures. With that said, you cannot really zoom without the pictures being blurry and not very clear. The same is with the Galaxy.

I would have to say this round is a tie.

Software:

The Galaxy has Android 4.4 and the iPad is updated to the latest software, iOS 8.2. This being said, as many of you know, Android is very Open Source. I like this because you have more flexibility with the software. That being said, the iPad is latest, while the Galaxy is falling behind. But, I like the flexibility much more. So,

The Galaxy wins this round.

So, like everything, it all depends on your preference. I cannot tell you "Buy the iPad" or "Buy the Galaxy". It is all up to you. Now, personally, I like the iPad better. But, you might like Galaxy products. So, I have given you info on both of them, and with that, choose what you want! I hope you like what you choose!

Well, it isn't exactly fair to base your performance review on the opening of one app, which coincidentally happened to crash that one time when you tried it. Just sayin....

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

From my experience, though, the Samsung Galaxy Tab isn't the "ideal" Android experience. The slow shell they put over vanilla Android is abysmal, too.

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

Is this the original iPad mini? Cause that tablet has super old specs and any recent tablet should beat it.

Well, it isn't exactly fair to base your performance review on the opening of one app, which coincidentally happened to crash that one time when you tried it. Just sayin....

Thank you for your response. I will go ahead and run Geekbench on both devices. Let me also point out that the Galaxy is actually (the Sprint version) from 2013, while the iPad is from 2012. The review will be edited asap and I will prove more accuracy to the review.

i like its format. 4:3 8" tablets are perfect

Me too! I always thought, for a tablet, the Galaxy (7.0) was way too small.