Black Coated Heatsink ? Yay or nay ?

SRZ95

Hi guys Ive been wondering.. does black coated heatsink can improve heat dissipitation ?

Hi guys Ive been wondering.. does black coated heatsink can improve heat dissipitation ?

No, adding a coating over any heat sink will often reduce how much heat it can dissipate. Colour will not make a difference.

Yay but for aesthetically pleasing reasons only. 

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Well black coated objects do emit more heat radiation than their silver coated ones but I wouldn't try it tbh. As Kirbytech said adding paint or coating to heatsink often reduces its efficiency.

No, adding a coating over any heat sink will often reduce how much heat it can dissipate. Colour will not make a difference.

This is false. Black coated heatsinks are often better at dissipating heat than non coated heatsinks / raw metal.

No it just makes things worse if you don't coat them properly.

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

This is false. Black coated heatsinks are often better at dissipating heat than non coated heatsinks / raw metal.

I was guessing that it was an already coated heat sink. Yes a black coated one will be better than a non coated one. 

I saw a post once a dude coated his dcu ii (I think) cooler white and only got +10 degrees celcius, so it's a 50/50 chance, if you coat it properly, probably 70/30

No it just makes things worse if you don't coat them properly.

MCM did a test on this with a inter-cooler. result was slightly higher temps(marginal) with air going over it, with passive cooling it was noticeably cooler then silver colored. I can find the video if you want

I was guessing that it was an already coated heat sink. Yes a black coated one will be better than a non coated one. 

If not black paint, what did you expect it to be coated with?

MCM did a test on this with a inter-cooler. result was slightly higher temps(marginal) with air going over it, with passive cooling it was noticeably cooler then silver colored. I can find the video if you want

And here it is:

If not black paint, what did you expect it to be coated with?

Any colour, I took the OP as meaning he wanted to coat a heatsink in black to improve heat dissipation. Maybe I'm wrong don't know

Any colour, I took the OP as meaning he wanted to coat a heatsink in black to improve heat dissipation. Maybe I'm wrong don't know

Usually heatsinks are not coated from the factory (unless they're black).

Usually heatsinks are not coated from the factory (unless they're black).

On what? I have a blue one on my motherboard next to me and the one in my basement is red. 

On what? I have a blue one on my motherboard next to me and the one in my basement is red. 

Oh right, we're talking about different things lol. I'm talking about CPU heatsinks and you're talking about motherboard heatsinks I'm guessing.

Oh right, we're talking about different things lol. I'm talking about CPU heatsinks and you're talking about motherboard heatsinks I'm guessing.

Yeah completely different things, guess that would have been good to know a while ago