SSD Suggestions

jayctech

Thinking of doing a reinstall and figured I may as well take the opportunity to install it on an SSD instead.

Hence, looking for SSD recommendations.

I know Samsung's are the best but I'm looking to save money if possible.

It'll only be used for the OS so if I can save money by going for a lower storage option, that'd be awesome too.

Side note, just noticed I can get the 850 EVO 120GB off Amazon for <£60. That as good as it gets in terms of quality to price? I don't really need that much storage.

Also from the UK (in case that wasn't obvious :P).

Ty in advance for any advice.

go with at least a 240-250GB  i regret my 120 everytime i look at my drive list. 4GB free....

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

go with at least a 240-250GB  i regret my 120 everytime i look at my drive list. 4GB free....

It's just for the OS...no need for him to get anything more than 128 at most for just the OS.

What do you have on it apart from the OS?

What do you have on it apart from the OS?

programs. not even games, just lots of utilities.

i can't even install my programming programs (visual studios) or my solid works program (3d modeling) on my desktop because my drive is full.

some programs just need space bro.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

i can't even install my programming programs (visual studios) or my solid works program (3d modeling) on my desktop because my drive is full.

You could just buy a second hard drive for those.

Anyway, my suggestion for budget SSDs has always been Crucial. Right now the BX100 is the budget one, while the MX200 has some extra features (like AES encryption in the hardware). But if you can get the 850 EVO at such a low price, get it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have 2 1TB hard drives to stick all applications on. :P

Anyway, my suggestion for budget SSDs has always been Crucial. Right now the BX100 is the budget one, while the MX200 has some extra features (like AES encryption in the hardware). But if you can get the 850 EVO at such a low price, get it.

I have 2 1TB hard drives to stick all applications on. :P

i have 3TB of HDDs... some programs will not install to external drives.

seriously, visual studios is like 15GB, 7 of which MUST be on the C: drive.  i tried.

OP, just trust me.

Ty for the suggestions.