Correct way to format HDs?

jayctech

Thinking of doing a reinstall next weekend. I may get an SSD and do the fresh install on that instead. How would I wipe my current HDs? Would I need to go into partition manager in Windows (after installing and booting on the SSD) and then attempt to format that way? I know if I just do format in My PC it'll just wipe my primary partition, leaving the other partitions like recovery there.

In the installation of windows, click next until there are options to either upgrade or custom (advanced). Click Custom and you can format your HDD for there.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

In the installation of windows, click next until there are options to either upgrade or custom (advanced). Click Custom and you can format your HDD for there.

Even though the HD I'm installing the OS on will be different than my current one?

yep

just bot windows cd and format and partition from the windows install

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

yep

just bot windows cd and format and partition from the windows install

So I should have both the SSD and the HDD connected to the motherboard and during the Windows installation process I can both format the HDD and install on the SSD?

you can make the partitions in the install...once you get windows installed you can format the partitions

you can make the partitions in the install...once you get windows installed you can format the partitions

What I'm looking to do is completely format the old HDD. Is the proper way to do this to install Windows on the SSD, go to partition manager and delete the partitions on the old HDD?

once you delete the old partitions ..its kinda gone..you just make the new partitions..then reformat them

but you can do all of it from the install..except the format of the new partitions

the install cd will auto format the install partition tho when you tell it what partition to install on

once you delete the old partitions ..its kinda gone..you just make the new partitions..then reformat them

but you can do all of it from the install..except the format of the new partitions

the install cd will auto format the install partition tho when you tell it what partition to install on

I'm asking how to delete the old partitions. The reinstall will be on a separate SSD so installing Windows won't erase the old install. I'm basically asking what the best method to get rid of the previous install is, after it's been installed on the new SSD.

harddrive_magnet_ars.jpg

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

harddrive_magnet_ars.jpg

Damn.... Use this method once and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

While it's nice that people suggest doing it during the install, it's always better to have only the SSD plugged in when installing windows.  The installer does have a habit of creating the 100MB boot partition on another HDD, in which case you won't be able to swap hard disks without FUBARing the OS.

Basically the best procedure is :

1 ) Start the Windows installer, select "Custom Install" when asked to do that or upgrade.  

2 ) Proceed to the disk selection screen.  There, click "Drive Options (advanced)"

3 ) Remove all the partitions of the HDD

4 ) Create a new partition using the entire HDD space

5 ) Shut down the computer without installing.

6 ) Open the PC, disconnect the HDD's power or data cable (or both if you want, either one is enough though) and boot it again. 

7 ) Install Windows on the SSD. 

8 ) When you're on the desktop, shut down the PC and plug in the HDD again.  On the next boot, it'll show the HDD as a single partition.

Done