Heading to Thailand, need suggestions on what to do!

Hi all,

Heading to Thailand in January 2014 and I just wanted to open it up as a discussion topic.

What things should I do/see? Things to avoid? Another info would be great.

Here's our itinerary also:

9th Fly into Bangkok stay overnight
10th hang in Bangkok then head down to Pattaya
11th Pattaya
12th Pattaya
13th day in Pattaya then fly down to Koh Samui
14th Koh Samui
15th Koh Samui + FULL MOON PARTY
16th Koh Samui
17th Koh Samui - THE BIG 10
18th Ferry/Bus to Krabi > Ferry from Krabi > Phi Phi Island
19th Phi Phi Island
20th Phi Phi Island then ferry to Phuket
21st - 25th Phuket
25th Phuket flight back to Bangkok
26th Bangkok to Melbourne

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

• 2 weeks later...

BUMPITY BUMP

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

Try out eating bugs. :) Delicacy!

I think bowing is a standard in Thailand when greeting people.

Also, many residents don't like foreigners very much so don't mind that.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Try out eating bugs. :) Delicacy!

I think bowing is a standard in Thailand when greeting people.

Also, many residents don't like foreigners very much so don't mind that.

Haha I will definitely give the bugs a go! I hear silk worms are actually nice when they are fried.

Well I suppose in the tourist areas they must be kinda used to it.

Im in Taiwan right now doing research at a university in Taipei ive spent a little over a month here and still have a few more weeks before i go back home(8 weeks total), I think for the best experience you should just go wonder around alone...well Taiwan is pretty safe and a lot of people speak English well enough to point you in the right direction, i'm not sure about Thailand. make friends with some locals they will show you the best places to go and help you with things like ordering food. be careful what you eat, avoid eating salid or other uncooked vegitables unless you are 100% sure they are clean, it is very easy to get E.coli or some other bacteria from unwashed raw vegetables.But make sure you enjoy the local food!!Just take it easy on the lettuce, that's usually the biggest culprit. Don't be too afraid to try things! some times its easier not to ask what exactly it is that your eating and just go for it! Also don't drink water from the tap, avoid swallowing it when brushing your teeth and showering.  keep a roll of toilet paper in your backpack most toilets are Asian and may not have toilet paper. Thats all i can think of right now have fun! if you have any questions just ask. 

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

Im in Taiwan right now doing research at a university in Taipei ive spent a little over a month here and still have a few more weeks before i go back home(8 weeks total), I think for the best experience you should just go wonder around alone...well Taiwan is pretty safe and a lot of people speak English well enough to point you in the right direction, i'm not sure about Thailand. make friends with some locals they will show you the best places to go and help you with things like ordering food. be careful what you eat, avoid eating salid or other uncooked vegitables unless you are 100% sure they are clean, it is very easy to get E.coli or some other bacteria from unwashed raw vegetables.But make sure you enjoy the local food!!Just take it easy on the lettuce, that's usually the biggest culprit. Don't be too afraid to try things! some times its easier not to ask what exactly it is that your eating and just go for it! Also don't drink water from the tap, avoid swallowing it when brushing your teeth and showering.  keep a roll of toilet paper in your backpack most toilets are Asian and may not have toilet paper. Thats all i can think of right now have fun! if you have any questions just ask. 

Thanks very much for your detailed feedback :P

I think water is a pretty common thing to watch out for in asian countries, i'll keep an open mind on the street food though!

Thanks very much for your detailed feedback :P

I think water is a pretty common thing to watch out for in asian countries, i'll keep an open mind on the street food though!

No problem! The street food is awesome!! Defiantly eat it, just not the raw vegetables lol  

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2|