gtx 970 poor performance?

comex

I just installed a gtx 970 and installed all the software for it as well but I seem to get about the same performance I did with the radeon 7850.

My amd cpu is 8 core cpu with 3.8 ghz of speed, I was wondering if this was bottle necking the graphic cards.

does any one else have this problem?

The bottleneck is probably 5 fps.

I had two 7850 CFX and with the FX 8320, now with a 290x (Its same performance as a 970~) 

But my increase in fps was at least 30 - 40

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

did you uninstall all the AMD drivers and CCC?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Did you uninstall your old drivers?

2. Did you install the new drivers?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I did uninstall all the old amd drivers

I even uninstalled Raptr, and I had like 3500 reward points.

how can i test this problem than?

I just did auto tuning and increased my cpu to 4.4 ghz will this help ?

It will help, but it won't fix the problem. You'll need an intel CPU for single- and dual-threaded games if you want to reel in the power of your 970.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/305918-multi-cores-in-gaming/#entry4158245

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Really depends on what the game is and what exact CPU it is you are using.  Rarely will a CPU bottleneck a GPU this hard unless it's an extremely CPU-intensive program.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

no amd CPUs have very bad single core performance  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

so what you guys are saying is that I need a intel cpu? if so which one would you recommend for a budge price?

Your CPU is probably bottle necking. Get an Intel i5 or i7 based on your budget to acquire maximum performance out of the said GPU. Prefer since-core performance over bunch of cores together. Quality over quantity.

what should be the ghz minimum to get the full  potential of this card? 4.5?

So Ive found out that my mother boards PCIe slot was a 2.0 x 16 slot instead of a PCIe 3.0 slot, does this make a lot of difference?

A little. Maybe 5fps.

Edit:

I think I wouldn't Upgrade. I mean, is the i5 better? Yes, kind of. But you would have to buy a new mobo too. So +/- 330$. I don't think the fps improvement would be worth that. 

Which am3+ board do you Run and how much beef does your psu have? 

Because (Retarded) you could pretty much buy a 2nd 970 and go sli for that Kind of Money. :rolleyes:

Depends on the games you play too. Battlefield scales like crazy.

So Ive found out that my mother boards PCIe slot was a 2.0 x 16 slot instead of a PCIe 3.0 slot, does this make a lot of difference?

Nope.

I've tested a GTX 970 and an R9-290X and neither lose frames using a PCIE 2.0 16x slot.

/Maybe some motherboards do, but mine doesn't,.. my mate has a GTX970, and I have a 290X, we compared them both at my place and found it didnt make a difference to Gaming FPS across my 15 installed games.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think I wouldn't Upgrade. I mean, is the i5 better? Yes, kind of. But you would have to buy a new mobo too. So +/- 330$. I don't think the fps improvement would be worth that. 

If a new $350 card performs the same as a four year old $150 card, I would upgrade the bloody CPU.

For what, Intel? 3.5GHz should be fine.

For AMD? You'd likely need to hit 4.8GHz or higher, and anything that isn't a fully multithreaded title will never fully take advantage of your CPU. Didn't I link you that thread that explained all of this?

All AMD motherboards use PCI/e 2.0. You will never find an AMD mobo on PCI/e. 3.0 (that takes a bulldozer or piledriver CPU). So that's a moot point.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

with the AMD FX? more like 6.0ghz...

..and PCIE 2.0 X16 is fine for that GPU...the problem is the CPU itself.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

with the AMD FX? more like 6.0ghz...

^He's not bullshitting,.. I wish I remembered the website that elaborated this...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Did you install the nvidia drivers from the webpage or did you use a installation CD or something like that? If you did not download the latest drivers, do it now: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Drivers coming with the card are outdated, and this can make a big difference esp. for games that got released after the driver you are using.

Is it going over 3.5 GB of VRAM?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Thank you for all your answers guys, its really appreciated.

For the games I currently play, I'm playing games like Total War Attila, wow, and counter strike go. In Total War Attila fps lags like crazy when im in the overworld, however when im doing the actually battle it seem to get better. All settings for these games are at Ultra except for counter strike with everything on high(which is the max) and AA to 8x.

CS GO runs about 140 to 200 fps at any given time, Im not sure about Attila but once im in the world map I get around 20 -30 fps while when im in the actually battle I get around 40- 58. Wow is around the same, when im in garrison alone looking every where I get around 45-80 fps.

Also I do not know if the VRAM is going over 3.5 gb because I dont know how to check that.

Edit

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

This is my mobo will this work with intel cpus?