Why I think the next Gen consoles made PC grow

zappian

PS2 days was the golden age of gaming. I had a lot of great memories with that system. And yeah I agree with you, this generation did not have anything new to offer compared to the previous generation aside from a very slight hardware upgrade. Also it has been more a year since its launch and still no great games that will make you decide to get a console. Also this generation has become more greedy with pay to play online becoming common on both consoles and no backwards compatibility with last gen games (#remasteredrace) plus it is already 2015 and still no native kb+mouse support.

And that's the stupid thing, the Original Xbox was capable of all of that (except being able to play PS2 games-and I never tried games from the PS1) with a simple 20-30 minute soft mod that was actually quite easy to do (my then 7 year old brother managed to do it without anything going wrong). This is why the Xbox 360 and Xbox One are so locked down now, Microsoft doesn't want people creating programs to run on the Xbox that can actually make the Xbox play older games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This current gen feels more like a side-grade then an upgrade. And then there is still the problem of peripherals. Dont know about the rest of you but I hate console peripherals. Every new console needs new controllers and headset adapters. Way too much money grabbing in the console market.

Luckily for me the only game I want to play that is console only is NHL and my friend always gets the new consoles and he also loves NHL so I just go over to his place to get my hockey fix :). The console market isnt getting my money anytime soon

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

I hate it when people say next gen. It isn't the next gen. It's this gen, current gen. Being new doesn't make it next, it makes it current.

lmao this. They're literally a year and a half old now, though I think this is linked heavily to OP's ideas about the state of PC gaming and the failings of the current consoles. People still see them as future products. New PS3/360 games are still being released and even the general non-tech gamer community still considers the 360/PS3 current gen, and the PS4/XBox One incremental upgrades that aren't worth their price. I've seen people moaning that new releases are "next gen exclusives". Like... wtf did you expect? But this is how an awful lot of people still see the current gen.

lmao this. They're literally a year and a half old now, though I think this is linked heavily to OP's ideas about the state of PC gaming and the failings of the current consoles. People still see them as future products. New PS3/360 games are still being released and even the general non-tech gamer community still considers the 360/PS3 current gen, and the PS4/XBox One incremental upgrades that aren't worth their price. I've seen people moaning that new releases are "next gen exclusives". Like... wtf did you expect? But this is how an awful lot of people still see the current gen.

This is one thing I don't get, the Xbox 360 and PS3 played games at pretty much the same resolution and FPS, Microsoft and Sony really fucked up when they went with their APU based consoles-they are just soooo weak for the price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is one thing I don't get, the Xbox 360 and PS3 played games at pretty much the same resolution and FPS, Microsoft and Sony really fucked up when they went with their APU based consoles-they are just soooo weak for the price.

They're not weak, per se. They just tried to set graphics settings up to a £700 PC standard on hardware equivalent to that of a £350 PC, and so had to sacrifice resolution and framerate instead. They're objectively more powerful than their predecessors.

It would be like getting a 280X and trying to play Watch Dogs at 4K on it. It's not a crap GPU, you're just being completely unrealistic about its capabilities.

Disclaimer : This post is not meant to create a flame war , its just my opinion on the subject.

This is not a pc vs console topic honestly , I just felt underwhelmed by the new consoles.

Before you call me a pc elitist I used to own a 360 for 5 years , that was honestly hardware wise a very impressive machine for the time . When it came out in 2005 you coundlt build a better pc for the price with new parts , it was quite impossible.That machine was honestly impressive for the time and 10 years later game are still being released for it.

But when the next gen consoles dropped , especially the xbox one was the worse offender , people started realizing that for 500 bucks you could build a better pc with more power and:

- Get more upgradabilty

-Get more Games

-Not pay for online

-Save tons of money in games trought steam and gog

Consoles have been a good value for a long time , I honestly think for how long it lasted me my xbox 360 was a damn good value . A 250 euro machine that allowed me to play games for 5 years.

But these next gen machines are disapointing for me because of other things like:

-Long lasting connectivity issues:

Hackers have treatead the ps and xbox online services like playthings , and while steam has ocasional server problems they usually arent as prolonged or occur as often. When steam goes down for me i go to origin and play a couple of rounds of BF4.

-Hilariously Low resolution and fps

Watch dogs run at 792p 30 fps on the xbox one , I would not personally pay 400 or 500 dollars to play games at those resolutions . Some games run at decent FPS and resolution and honestly the ps4 is not that big of an offender allowing you to run most games closer to 1080p but this generation leap was still the weakest thus far IMO.

-Paying for online.

Sony joined the fray and now to play online games you also need their premium serviçe , at least they add some bonus things for people that sign up.

-Expensive peripherals.

Pretty self explanatory.

In conclusion I really think these issues with the next gen consoles have made people consider PC more seriously and honestly PC gaming and the pc market is booming like never before and I think this is one of the reasons . PC is a really compelling option now , more compelling than it ever was.

if you factor in OS you cant make a better pc than a ps4 , however this and a cheap copy of win 7 would make a compelling little machine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($122.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($40.29 @ NCIX US)

Total: $423.03

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 07:50 EDT-0400

Funny! This is basically my story.. Until the part, recommending an I3  :D No offense! You're probably right... 

30+ years gaming on consoles and no regrets here.. "Its not how you get there.. Just that you get there" in other words I am a gamer at heart.. As long as I can play, I don't care what it's on.. I didn't pick-up an Atari 2600 for its FPS or its resolution..  

Disclaimer: I had a few bad experiences (in the late 80's, early 90's) with computer games crashing.. And other problems that just made me want to completely shutoff from ever gaming on a PC again..

But the day I dropped $400 on an Xbox One.. My outlook changed real quick! It felt like, the day the earth had stood still..

After owning and playing an Xbox 360 for 10 years, I knew the price was not going to be anywhere near $400 after all is said and done.. More like a couple grand or so.. For that $$$ I could build me one bad, mammajamma PC.. As a gamer and consumer.. it only makes sense to.. Honestly, I didn't even see how an Xbox One was an Upgrade? To me the graphics were about the same and the interface was just ignorant to put it nicely. 

But I made myself keep it for two days and looked for every, if any, reason to justify in me keeping it.. NOTHING! The closes I got was the box saying that I could talk to it... Big deal right?! "XBOX On" I said.. Dam thing came on! "XBOX... turn yourself into a PC.." needless to say nothing happened..

Conclusion: PC is the only option...

Oh my, oh my, the things I was missing... Best decision I have ever made to date, as a person, and/or consumer.. Never again!  :)

Hell I might right a book or start a group "Console(s) Anonymous" for those who haven't converted.. jk

Funny! This is basically my story.. Until the part, recommending an I3  :D No offense! You're probably right...

Yeah don't judge the i3 until you see it perform in person.

"Dont judge a book by its cover" And so on.

I thought it was crap also because dual core but it totally kicks ass.

if you factor in OS you cant make a better pc than a ps4 , however this and a cheap copy of win 7 would make a compelling little machine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($122.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($40.29 @ NCIX US)

Total: $423.03

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 07:50 EDT-0400

Never, ever, use a PSU that comes with a $40 case. It's guaranteed to be a firecracker waiting to happen.

Yeah don't judge the i3 until you see it perform in person.

"Dont judge a book by its cover" And so on.

I thought it was crap also because dual core but it totally kicks ass.

Yeah I was totally meaning to be sarcastic.. If I had never got an i5, i3 was my next choice.. But at the time was sold on the whole "more cores, is more"